VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my "lifelong" project is still not running. I've had this rabbit truck now for 2.5 years, stripped everything and rebuilt everything. The engine ran before I ripped it out of the truck, I didn't do anything major to the engine while it was out except swapt the clutch and flywheel and timing belt.
I have a full scirocco wiring harness in the car, (headlight to tailight)CIS-E and all from a 16v rocco, so basically this thing is a 16v scirocco.
I have a new coil, plugs, and plug wires.
Went thru all the ignition tests in the bentley, the ICU is getting 12V like it should. There is power going to the coil on the 1(-) side of the coil. The Hall sender harness reads 3.24V, Bentley says it should be 12V, does this mean I have a bad ground somewhere? The ICU seems to be working properly. Can anyone help me out?
One more thing, my fuel pump doesn't turn on when I turn the key either, relay works, I checked it.
I need some expert help here, I feel like I've been thru every wire on this thing 3 times over...

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try that but I bought a brand new coil and still nothing. Does anyone have pics of the back of a rocco 16v fuze box? I want to see where the large power and ground wires are on.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I had the same exact problem with my 16V bunny two weeks ago. I was getting no spark the and hall sender read 3.24V. When I looked at it the following weekend (I had to go back to school) I found that it was my stupidity that was the problem. In my case, the one connector that houses the 2 black wires which go to a single pin connector didn't have the switched power going to them. Now, since you're using the whole Scirocco harness (I only used the engine harness) I'm not sure exactly what your problem is. However, it sounds like you're looking in the right direction with the back of the fuse box. I never checked the hall sender voltage after I got spark though, but I would definitely trace those 2 wires to the fuse box and make sure they're getting the switched power. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Try sticking a test light into the coil wire going to the dist. cap and turning over the engine, if it blinks you have spark past the coil which means the primary side of the ingnition system is working properly, if not look at the system behind the coil. hope this helps.

Modified by 83RabGTI at 4:02 PM 5-3-2005

Modified by 83RabGTI at 4:03 PM 5-3-2005

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies.
mnrthreat I know what you mean by the switched power since I read up on 16v swaps but I have the full harness. What 2 wires should I trace back?
83rabgti I tried the test light, I get power to the coil. Its a dim light for a second then it is very bright after I turn the key.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Re: (VWJerm)

This is a link that I found pretty helpful when I first started wiring up the engine.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1550727
The middle plug in the picture has 3 connectors contained within it, 1) single black wire 2) two black wires coming together 3) single red/black wire
The most important connector to give the switched power to is the two black wires that come together (one powers the knock box/ignition module and the other the ECU). I found this out after not giving these two black wires the switched power and I was baffled as to why I was getting no spark. Even though I knew they needed the power I somehow messed it up at first, but once I corrected that I had my spark. I also found that someone said the single black wire goes to the throttle body switch (which it does) and should also be given the switched power.

Modified by mnrthreat86 at 9:25 PM 5-4-2005

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks for all the responses. I got it started today! I put switched power to those black wires pictured on that other post and it fired up!
Trouble is now it only runs for a few seconds then it quits. do you think my timing might be out a bit? I havn't fine tuned the timing since I put the new belt on.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

Haha. This feels like I'm reading exactly what I just went through. Perfect timing for you I guess. But anyways, definitely check the timing. Once I got spark timing was my only issue. Mine would run for just a little bit then stop. And then it would start up and idle, but the idle was extremely low, like 100-200 rpm and the throttle would have no effect on it whatsoever. But then I checked the timing and started it up today. A world of difference. All I have left is a little fine tuning of the timing and I should be good to go. But definitely just start going through the basics. If you know you have spark and fuel, check for any possible air leaks and then check your timing. Hope everything gets going soon.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks man, I'll be checking the timing. One thing I still need to make sure on is the fuel pump... I know the relay works but I have to manually turn the fuel pump on to start the engine. I put power to the relay when it was out and it was clicking, so I guess I'll be tracing those wires around now...

·
Registered
3,983 Posts

Yet another issue that I had was my fuel pump and the relay. However I don't think I'll be too much help since I basically retained my '84 Rabbit GTI fuel pump relay and wiring and I assume that you have the Scirocco one. All I know is that in your case one of the wires that goes from the knock box (a red wire with a yellow stripe) connects to your fuel pump relay. It's in another one of those connectors that houses two terminals. One wire is the red/yellow one and I believe the other one is a red/white wire that is for the oxygen sensor heater.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: (mnrthreat86)

I've always said you had to give switched 12V to those wires http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Congrats VWJerm http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Jason
p.s....I'll be adding this thread to the "Official 16V thread" http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Re: (vdubspeed)

Back from the dead...
besides giving the 2 black wires switched 12v, everything else plugs in...given the ECU, kock box, and ignition module is scirocco 16v as well.
Where the ARROW is, i just unplug 8v harness from there and plug in the scirocco 16v harness there??
[/IMG]

Modified by redGTInj at 6:02 PM 7-24-2005

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yet another issue that I had was my fuel pump and the relay. However I don't think I'll be too much help since I basically retained my '84 Rabbit GTI fuel pump relay and wiring and I assume that you have the Scirocco one. All I know is that in your case one of the wires that goes from the knock box (a red wire with a yellow stripe) connects to your fuel pump relay. It's in another one of those connectors that houses two terminals. One wire is the red/yellow one and I believe the other one is a red/white wire that is for the oxygen sensor heater.
If you haunt figured out the fuel pump make sure you didn't wire it to the fuel pump prime wire I did that and my fuel pump wouldnt kick on at all or would do it for 2 seconds I'm also having the no spark issue with my 8v 2.0l if the harness in the same does anyone have a picture of these two black wires

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.