VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I posted this on the car lounge but there wasn't much technical feedback that I could get from there... so i'll post the same here.
Here's the original message from yesterday:
OK.... last night I was painting my callipers with roadsleeper but because the rear left tire would not come off, we only got to do the front ones...
Even with the lugs off, the tire would not pop out of the hub while sitting on the ground
Because I live in the NE, winters consist of a lot of crap on the ground... add a load of brake dust and some wild temperature differences, and you get a stuck wheel.
So how the heck am I supposed to get it out?????????? I am really annoyed because what if I get a flat tire and can't get it out??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,742 Posts
Re: Can't get the rim out! Help please! (nianmuzik)

Your wheel is stuck. (Obviously...)
When something is stuck... you need to kick it.

You need to jar it loose, and then wobble it, until it eventually comes off.
Assorted prying/leverage tools will work too, but be careful where you pry.
Kicking is probably best, because shoes are rubber, and don't leave marks.
Be careful. I have a 3" long scar on the back of my hand, from when I was wobbling a wheel off, and it crushed my hand between it, and the wheel well.
After you do get it off... get yourself some steel wool, and clean up the hub, and hubcentric area of the wheel, so it doesn't get stuck again.

[Modified by Surf Green, 6:45 AM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can't get the rim out! Help please! (Surf Green)

Well we were two people trying to get it out so it's not like it's really easy

I don't want to have to use a sledgehammer or anything like that...
I used WD-40 to help but to no avail. And I don't know if that was a good idea (does it attack the rim?)
Are there any products that are safe for the rim and that I could use to end this inferno? I want to paint my rear calipers because only the front are painted...
Help

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Can't get the rim out! Help please! (vwking)

quote:[HR][/HR]the best thing to do is kick it sit on your butt use two feet kick one side then the other and it will wiggle off
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah... but i'm scared that if I kick too hard, the jackstands won't hold the car and it will land on the brake disc and damage it and the rim...
It's pretty messed up but i will try it if i can't get it out with a fairly conventional method...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Can't get the rim out! Help please! (nianmuzik)

This is what I have done.
Jack up the car, put some blocks of wood under the rear axle, lower the car onto the blocks and kick the hell out of the tire. It works.

[Modified by jettafahrer, 9:27 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Can't get the rim out! Help please! (dubweiser)

quote:[HR][/HR]Try this, loosen the lugnuts some...drive the car forward a couple feet, then backward a couple feet...
Worked on my old mk2 jetta[HR][/HR]​
Yeah but won't that damage the rim and especially the lugnuts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.