VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has had this same problem or can help me figure out what it might be let me know. I have a 92 Jetta and when I am driving straight I get this vibration noise. I can turn the wheel to the left and its still there doesn't get any louder. Now if I turn to the right it goes away. The sound comes from the front left wheel. Now the other thing I think it might be related is when I am driving in first and I have the rpm's up around 3 or 4 thou something like that and I let off the gas quick there is a loud thump. the whole car seems to almost stop and go again quick. I don't know what the problem is. I have new brakes on but that noise was there before. I got my clutch done recently. They said they didn't see any broken mounts. But those guys were *****. I am going to be putting on neuspeed 1in drop spring and new shocks soon. I hope I might have an idea before I do that.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Re: Can't seem to find the noise (92 jetta)

It sounds like two different problems to me. First the noise that happens when you turn sounds to be a CV issue? The second I am not sure about. Do you have torque steer? I had a very similar problem, with major torque steer, that turned out to be a sheared sub frame/controle arm bolt? I hope this isnt your problem though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can't seem to find the noise (Fein1)

tourqe steer really isn't a big problem. Why do you sound like its such a bad thing "sheared sub frame/controle arm bolt" I will have to check out the CV joint. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,329 Posts

well it could be lots of things..
i would check everything,, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings
motor mounts, cv boots, wheel bearings etc...
clunks are very annoying i know how u feel i went 2 yrs+ with this CLUNK over bumps and squeaks with any up and down motion, all it was .. was a sway bar bushing. i was scared to even check it out as i assumed it was strut mounts or something major i farked up.
anyhow i wish u luck..

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]tourqe steer really isn't a big problem. Why do you sound like its such a bad thing "sheared sub frame/controle arm bolt" [HR][/HR]​
It is a nightmare. You have to disect the floor boards to get to the "nut" that the bolt is sheared of into. Then cut it out and weld in a new one. Then put the floor back together and the subframe back together. 3 days of my time or 8hrs of labor at the shop. Either way it sucks.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: Can't seem to find the noise (Clone_number2)

An easy way to check your mounts is to open up your hood and have a buddy put the car in reverse and let the clutch out quickly, if the motor hits the stut tower you need a new front mount. as for the other one it sounds like a wheel bearing to me, but i'm no expert, it's true it's true.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Re: Can't seem to find the noise (Silver4dr)

I had the same problem, vibration while driving, vibration while turning, and that thump when you let off the gas or step on the gas hard. It turned out to be the front left CV Shaft. The parts were only about 75$ for each CV Shaft assembly, and fairly simple to install. Just make sure you have 12 point bits to remove the bolts.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: Can't seem to find the noise (brandon002)

about the noise that goes away when you're turning, that sounds like the passenger side front wheel bearing is taking a ****e on you. The other problem sounds like the front engine mount is seriously in need of some help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.