VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i know you can use a capacitor to filter out bass in small speakers but i am geting a whine(thought it was a gournd loop on my sub) in my rear speakers...can i use a capacitor to filter it out or what??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: Capacitor to filter out high feq sound??? (Iceman666)

duh i always thought you used a crossover.
capacitator is for charging up power for gaps when your alt can't supply enough power. maybe it's just me?

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Capacitor to filter out high feq sound??? (Simplistic)

I used a crossover to keep the highs and mids form playing through my sub...but how do i get this whining out of my rear speakers.....its only in the rear speakers, only when the sub/amp is on and it gets higher in pitch and volume as the RPM goes up.....its been like a month now and its driving me nuts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I used a crossover to keep the highs and mids form playing through my sub...but how do i get this whining out of my rear speakers.....its only in the rear speakers, only when the sub/amp is on and it gets higher in pitch and volume as the RPM goes up.....its been like a month now and its driving me nuts
[HR][/HR]​
Yes,non-polarized capacitors are used as hi pass filters.You probably could use a cap to block out alternator whine, but you'd have to know what frequency the whine is at.Also if you used a cap to filter out noise,you may end up filtering out a portion of music that you may not want filtered.
The better thing to do would be to figure out what's causing the whine.The amp gains could be set too high,bad ground on the amp,etc.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

Iceman: Normally whine is from a ground problem. I would check your grounding point of your sub amp and make sure its good (no paint or wax at contact point) Though I would try to fix the ground point as much as possible, but if you cannot, Radio Shack sells a groundloop isolator for about $15 that will couple the RCA connection. I used one of these and there was no audible problems that I could tell. I would avoid the cap, since the whine is audible, you would be eliminating music also.
Simplistic: I thought that maybe you were joking at first, since crossovers are made up of capacitor(s) and coil(s). Though they are fast electrical storage devices, caps were first developed for filtering electricity (crossover).

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Capacitor to filter out high feq sound??? (MADBUG)

i spent about a week screwing with the amp/sub and its not the problem(I even got one of those ground loop isolators which didnt do crap) but the problem is the rear speakers not the sub...and well im out of ideas

·
Registered
703 Posts

Have you tried swapping wires and other components around? Try moving the rca's that go to your rear amp to maybe your front amp or you subs, see if it give you noise there, if it does, you know its in that wire or something before the wire. If not, put the rca's back on that amp, and hook up a test speaker to the amp, keep the wire short, like a foot or so, if you still have noise its prolly your amp. Also, something to keep in mind, I once had bad engine noise because I had my rca's routed right next to my amps on my amp rack.
Good luck,
CS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.