VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
8,634 Posts
Re: (varanus)

Let's hope this ******* thing is more reliable than the damn car!!!
This is probably the best shot we'll ever get at winning a race!

· Registered
9,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (Deflated_97)

Quote, originally posted by Deflated_97 »
Whats the name of that truck again? I remember it was officially used to transport Mercedes Gullwings back in its racing days.

It was just referred to as the Transporter. At the time though, it was the world's fastest.
Quote »
The Mercedes-Benz racing department hit the headlines in 1954 with its "fastest racing car transporter in the world". This was a specially built vehicle for the transport of one racing car. Because of its dynamic appearance in blue colour it was called the "blue wonder".

I happen to http://****************.com/smile/emlove.gif this thing quite a bit myself. It made an appearance last year at Pebble Beach and I missed it. I was really upset about that given I was in Monterey. I only went to the Historic Races, and it didn't show up there, but it's cargo did make an appearance there so at least I got to see the original SLR. They were saying at the show that this would be that car's last trip out of the Mercedes Benz Museum.

Here's an article on the Transporter's history. This one unfortunately is not the original.
= = = = = =
Mercedes: The 100mph Transporter
Mercedes has been reminding us that one of the stars of the show at the Daimler-Benz Museum in Stuttgart is the re-creation of a very special but long-lost vehicle: the phenomenally quick 300SL-engined transporter built for the mid-1950s Grand Prix team.
After the war, the factory got back into racing in 1952 with the "gullwing" 300SL. At the same time, it was already planning its re-entry into Grand Prix competition with the W196, which obliterated the opposition in its first race, the 1955 French GP at Rheims.
Team manager Alfred Neubauer rather fancied having a super-quick one-car emergency transporter as well as the usual covered-in vans, and various people within the racing organisation started thinking about how one could be built.
Eventually, an engineer called Hellinge in the test department came up with the idea of a transporter with a 300SL engine installed in an extensively lengthened 300 saloon chassis. It would be fitted with a ramp so that it could take either a Grand Prix car or a 300SLR sports-racer, with space for spare wheels underneath.
Technical director Rudolf Uhlenhaut gave it the nod, building got under way, and this sensational machine was soon ready to roll - or, rather, to amaze motorists on German autobahns and other main roads, as it dashed at three-figure speeds to and from circuits all over Europe.
Not Just For Fun
The idea behind all this was that the Mercedes mechanics could have a few hours longer working on a car at the factory before sending it off to a race, or get a damaged car back as quickly as possible between events. Of course, there were no Malaysian, Japanese, Australian or Canadian GPs in those days, and every circuit was within reasonable reach of Stuttgart. Reasonable for the fastest truck in Europe, that is.
Another angle was that the transporter itself had great promotional value. As the W196 and 300SLR scored victory after victory, keen attention began to be paid to the "Grand Prix transporter". Although the six-cylinder three-litre engine was detuned from the 300SL's usual 215bhp to 192bhp, that still allowed the vehicle to touch what was, for a mid-1950s truck, the amazing speed of 105mph. And it wasn't sparsely turned out, being well equipped and properly trimmed, with the crew (no mean drivers themselves, of course - and what a job!) sitting up front in bucket seats.
When Mercedes withdrew from racing again, the transporter was sent on a tour of exhibitions in the States. It went back to Germany in 1957, where there was a plan to display it, complete with 300SLR on top, in the company museum.
But the two vehicles together were calculated to be too heavy for the floor of the rather dilapidated building, and there were fears that the whole outfit would crash through it. The display plan was abandoned, the transporter just lay about taking up space, and in 1967 it was finally scrapped.
Regretted By All
Over the years, the memory of this fabulous machine didn't fade, and, with the museum completely modernised, the suggestion was floated that the transporter might be re-created. The snag was that no bits of the original vehicle remained, and, because it was a one-off, it had been built without any working drawings.
However, there were plenty of photographs, as well as a few references in the company archives and articles from the contemporary press. And some of the racing department people from the mid-1950s were still around, with clear recollections of the original machine.
Finally, in 1993, Mercedes decided to give it a go, and commissioned the German restoration firm MIKA to re-create the transporter from scratch. This modest little task absorbed something like 6000 hours of work, and took seven years to complete.
The finished "new" transporter is in exactly the same style, dimensions and colour as the original, and it has the correct double-curved rear windows in the cab, so that the nose of a W196 or a 300SLR can nestle in close. As before, the cab is built up from elements of a contemporary 180 saloon. There's just one major up-date: front-wheel disc brakes, out of the 1989 parts bin, are fitted, and the transmission disc brake has been abandoned.
Altogether, it's a splendid re-creation. Since the museum is able to whistle up a W196 or a 300SLR when required, the transporter can be seen loaded up the way the original used to be, 45 years ago and more. And the re-created museum floor can cope too.
http://www.carkeys.co.uk/featu...3.asp
= = = = = =
Here's some more detail shots of the reproduction which were taken at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few years back:

>8^)
ER

· Registered
9,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (sirtophamhat)

Quote, originally posted by sirtophamhat »
Ulenhaut Coupe. Probably the most beautiful car ever, IMHO. Only two of them...

I'm right there with you on that one...

<-- Clickable

Might be time to change the thread title here.

>8^)
ER

Modified by Peloton25 at 2:02 AM 6-15-2006

· Registered
14,084 Posts
Re: Caption this... McLaren Formula-1 content... (PlatinumGLS)

Quote, originally posted by PlatinumGLS »
No caption but that thing is AWESOME!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Re: Caption this... McLaren Formula-1 content... (Peloton25)

Kimi: "Juan, put down that donut and take out the map... I can't find the race track!!"
Juan: "*burp*"

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Re: Caption this... McLaren Formula-1 content... (Eurorigged)

Quote, originally posted by Eurorigged »
it has Juan Pablo on the side, but the wing says Kimi

There's no mistaking who's the #1 driver. I will be meeting JPM this coming Monday. I'll be sure to bust Gordo's balls about the fact that his car isn't on the truck...oh, and that he won't have a contract next year. Hopefully he won't punch me in the face.

Modified by Jordi at 7:49 AM 6-15-2006

· Registered
1,774 Posts
Re: (AdrockMK2)

If I'm not mistaken, F1 LTD (Bernie Ecclestone) organizes transport and pays for it out of the profits made from TV.
On topic: The Transporter is awesome. Looks great with the MP4-21 on the back, but much better with the SL in tow.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Re: (Jordi)

Thanks for this! Awesome! I never knew that the Transporter had a 300 sl engine.... wow
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
With the SLR on the back it's one of the best pics/combos EVAR! Period!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.