VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Several months ago i wrote about the parasitic draw of my 2014 Beetle TDI here.

I have done a lot more experimentation and also started pulling fuses in an attempt to stop the drain. But no matter what I do, I only have sporadic success, meaning that sometimes I think I found the offending circuit, but then I drive the car again, park it, pull that same fuse again and the drain continues. I tried that with fuse no. 23 in interior panel (see original post) as well as any fuses related to my radio or the factory amp. Sometimes the drain slows down to an unnoticeable crawl, then other times, when performing the same actions, it just keeps going. Highly sporadic.

Haven't taken it to the dealer yet (maybe in a few months, when the world is a bit more back to normal), but I got myself a battery disconnect device that operates with a remote but also has an auto-shut-off threshold. It looks as depicted below. It works well, but I am worried about the smaller diameter of the negative cable, compared to the factory one in my car. It's maybe half to 2/3 the diameter of the cable that previously directly connected to the negative post of the battery.

Will that cause any issues and is there any danger here I should be aware of?

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/S95CfwD

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven’t see that before. But does your aftermarket radio have WiFi on it? Also is that radio connected through idatelink?
Hi -- I don't know what idatelink is. It's one of those standard Android aftermarket radios that uses WiFi to connect to a hotspot for data (i.e. your phone or a MiFi puck). I completely took it out as well and the sporadic drain still comes and goes, so I don't think it's related to the radio or its canbus module (to which i also performed the "yellow wire mod" before).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.