VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
VW golf mk4 1.8T 2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone

Does anybody knows if after a replacement of the battery on a mk4 1.8T 2003, a software intervention is required, obligatory using a VCDS(VAG COM) ? Or you can just simply put a new battery without worries ? In addition I can say that the battery that I want to install has better characteristics than the old one (Ah, CCA, ). Any help will be really appreciated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi, everyone

Does anybody knows if after a replacement of the battery on a mk4 1.8T 2003, a software intervention is required, obligatory using a VCDS(VAG COM) ? Or you can just simply put a new battery without worries ? In addition I can say that the battery that I want to install has better characteristics than the old one (Ah, CCA, ). Any help will be really appreciated.
No coding or anything is necessary. On some of the newer cars that come with an AGM battery installed, yes. Not on the mk4's though. Only thing I would recommend after a battery replacement is a throttle body adaptation via vcds before firing up your car

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
No coding or anything is necessary. On some of the newer cars that come with an AGM battery installed, yes. Not on the mk4's though. Only thing I would recommend after a battery replacement is a throttle body adaptation via vcds before firing up your car

Mmmmmm, replaced my battery once and disconnected the battery various times. Never did TB adaptation, car ran fine... 🤔

·
Registered
VW golf mk4 1.8T 2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. And also I want to ask about the immobiliser. Should I do anything with it ? What happens with the immobiliser after the removal of the battery ?

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
TB is just key on, engine off , gas paddle to the floor for 10 sec, release paddle
Thanks all. And also I want to ask about the immobiliser. Should I do anything with it ? What happens with the immobiliser after the removal of the battery ?
Normally you don't needed to but few threads here says they lost programming. Not sure the exact situation when that happens. You can always rig up or buy a memory saver.

·
Registered
388 Posts

Why a TB adaptation? I have never did one and am curious why it needs to be done?

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
I live in DFW, and have to replace my battery about every 3 years, almost like clockwork. The ONLY time I've ever had a problem is the very first time, when I had Sears do it. When I picked up the car the locks and windows weren't working, the gauges weren't working, most of the warning lights were on an it wouldn't rev over about 4k. They told me to take it to a VW dealer and then bring them the receipt and they'd pay for it. The dealer had to reflash the ECU. I don't remember what they charged me, but Sears cut me a check to pay for the full amount.
I've done it myself every other time, and never had any problems.

·
Registered
VW golf mk4 1.8T 2003
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 1.8t's I've dealt with do not like losing power, Including my own. So I do a TBA preemptively to mitigate any issues

OK I am going to do TBA then, and just to be completely sure, I want to ask one more time - TBA is done how dogdog said, right ? This is the way ? No need for software adaptation through VCDS?

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
OK I am going to do TBA then, and just to be completely sure, I want to ask one more time - TBA is done how dogdog said, right ? This is the way ? No need for software adaptation through VCDS?
you are over thinking this, just changing a battery will not cause complications like the audi A8s. You don't have to believe what I 'said", just go google "VW MKIV manual throttle body adaptation" the the foo do the work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts