VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
feels a bit sluggish, less throttle response, put 2/3 in gas tank , 1/3 in vacuum.
Im thinking it affected the burning of the fuel , changing octane level or something, im chipped for 91....thats the only thing i can think of

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (anthmvr6)

Well....i think i found the problem......sea foam fouled up my 2 month old NGK spark plugs
................. i tried cleaning them up, it helped a bit, but im probably going to have to replace them.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: FV-QR (anthmvr6)

Keep us updated. 2/3 seafoam sounds like a lot (?). I just did mine today, they suggested a 1oz seafoam : 1g gas. I erred on the side of caution and put a little less in. My first time seafoaming too, so hopefully I don't end up with your symptoms.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by IwAnTaGtIbAd »
After using seafoam the plugs shouldve been removed and cleaned or even replaced. Along with changing the oil, cleaning filter and MAF, and cleaning and recalibrating the throttle body

false.....all false false false
changing the oil is only necessary if dumped in the oil (that s how it works for the oil)
changing plugs is necessary only if it's time to actually change plugs. It could foul the plugs if used in large quantity (IE, 2/3 to 3/4 a bottle atr once) but that occurence is very rare. Hasn't happened to me in about 7 seafoam intake sessions.
why would the filter and/or MAF need to be replaced or cleaned? the seafoam enters via vacuum line, which are ALL AFTER THE TB (the TB is after the MAF)?
recalibrating the TB...LOL.... was the battery removed? did the ECU get reset for any reason? If no and no, then no need to recalib the TB
please don't spread misinformation, someone might actually believe you and repeat it blindly

·
Registered
15,162 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Das Borgen)

Quote, originally posted by Das Borgen »

changing the oil is only necessary if dumped in the oil (that s how it works for the oil)
changing plugs is necessary only if it's time to actually change plugs. It could foul the plugs if used in large quantity (IE, 2/3 to 3/4 a bottle atr once) but that occurence is very rare. Hasn't happened to me in about 7 seafoam intake sessions.

why would the filter and/or MAF need to be replaced or cleaned? the seafoam enters via vacuum line, which are ALL AFTER THE TB (the TB is after the MAF)?
recalibrating the TB...LOL.... was the battery removed? did the ECU get reset for any reason? If no and no, then no need to recalib the TB
please don't spread misinformation, someone might actually believe you and repeat it blindly

Im having the same issues after a seafoam cleaning so i suppose the answer lies in the plugs yeah...
i cleaned them it got somewhat better but still bogs down in 1st and 2nd gear especially when cold...
no CEL either now TB recalibration how is that done on OBD1 vr's???

·
Registered
494 Posts
From Experience:
DO NOT put seafoam in your gas, or your oil.
Its hard on rubber, so its not good on your fuel lines, injectors, or fuel pump.
oil system; it can break down seals that are on the verge of failure or prematurely wear them.
put 1/3-1/2 can thru the vaccum line off of the big brake booster hose, pull the small line right before the check valve, and use that. let her sit for 15 mins. then give it hell. literally.
thats what i've done on 4 cars, i've never fouled plugs, o2's or anything and the results have been fantastic.
just my .02
if you are sluggish, make sure your vacuum lines are all attached and not broken, unmetered air will fux with your car more than you'd think

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Re: FV-QR (gehr)

Quote, originally posted by gehr »
Seafoam is stupid snake oil!

this

·
Registered
494 Posts
Re: (anthmvr6)

Quote, originally posted by anthmvr6 »
i'm thinking maybe it is too much of it in the gas.... i heard if you add too much additives to your gas it will run like S*it....is this true?

well yea. if a car was meant to run on things other than gas they would.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Das Borgen)

Quote, originally posted by Das Borgen »

These are things I DO when i sea foam. DO NOT say that it is false. AND you do need to change your oil if it goes into you gas tank. It will seap into the oil and break it down. Ask anyone thats used it in thier gas tank.
Once again, if used in gas tank, it gets to the cumbustion chamber, i.e. reaching the spark plugs. Its a good idea to clean or get new ones after. Its not NEEDED, but i do recommend it.
And for the TB MAF comments. He was talking about an issue with his car. these "fixes" i gave aren't necessarily for the seafoam, but to actually rememdy his cars issue.
Get a life and dont tell me im wrong when I've used the stuff and know what it does to my own cars

Modified by IwAnTaGtIbAd at 8:38 AM 4-30-2010

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.