VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Re: car has 5PSI more but has 0 balls WTF?? (RetardedSquirrel)

maybe your clutch died. sounds like you are not getting the power to the wheels while the motor is making more power than before so it must be in the tranny somewhere

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: car has 5PSI more but has 0 balls WTF?? (runhopskipendub)

you see that make PERFECT sence but why would it go from 10psi to 15psi. that has nothing to do with the tranny
And you can hear the boost more which leads me to this conclusion(keep im mind im not too sabby)
Something with the cam timing is off so the boost builds up more, thus the 15psi, and it is louder becuase it gets reserculated back to the super charger.
Still this is just something i made up so i dont know. Thanks for the input but any thing else you got up your sleve bro?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: car has 5PSI more but has 0 balls WTF?? (GTibunny16v)

Check your crank sprocket. Mine did the same thing when the key broke. It still ran, but not well, then it just died and wouldn't start again. You should be able to find a new sprocket for under $30. An easy way to tell is to line up the cam timing (using the valve cover), and then check the ignition (distributor), and crank against it. If the cam and distributor are both on their respective marks but the crank isn't (look through the timing hole) it's a pretty sure sign of a broken crank sprocket key. If you take it off to check, make sure you use a new bolt.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: car has 5PSI more but has 0 balls WTF?? (DougO-G60)

excuse my ignorance, what is a crank sprocket. sounds expensive to fix and time consuming.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts

the crank sprocket is the sprocket that bolts to your crankshaft which is connected to the intermidiate sproket and cam sprocket via the timing belt .. it can be expensive and time consuming job if you still have allt he accesories on your car . there is also a woodruf key in there that i have heard of sheering off or malling its way out

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: car has 5PSI more but has 0 balls WTF?? (Trevahhhh)

my mechanic recently installed a tensioner pulley for timing belt and timing belt...........about 3 weeks ago. Do you think its their problem?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

you coulda jumped a tooth, check engine timing....hopefully its NOT the crank keyway....if you set timing and it keeps changing its a good indicator that te crank keyway is toast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Re: car has 5PSI more but has 0 balls WTF?? (PAGTI91)

It's not an expensive job if the key is all that broke. If you let it go it can widen the keyway on the crank and then you run into some $$. Total for this job if you do it yourself shouldn't be over $40. all you need is a crank sprocket, and a new bolt, although if you're going to be in there a new timing belt and acc. belts wouldn't be a bad idea and will only raise the cost by $30 or so. Time is another story, if you have moderate mechanical abilities, and a Bentley, just changing the sprocket should only take an hour or so. The hardest part is holding the sprocket from moving while torquing the bolt. The rest is just loosening the serp. and v-belts and taking the crank pulley/ sprocket off. The bentley comes in hand for timing if you haven't done it before. If you have the time and space it's not as bad as it sounds.Just make sure you get all the parts before you start.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

whats your idle HG vacuum? if it changes, your timing definitely is off.
if he did the timing tensioner recently,its logical the thing may have been loose and jumped either cam or intermediate shaft timing

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Re: car has 5PSI more but has 0 balls WTF?? (mrkrad)

i had this problem,..its why i did the block swap,..i called bbm and let my mechanic talk to john betz,..the conclusion was that my crank had stripped out,..and i would set timing,..a minute or two later it would jump a tooth or skip,...a toothe or two....it sucked,..ecspecailly after paying my mechanis $920.00 to repair or replace my pistons....had to go back and deal with the jumpin time...just to add my 2 cents.....
...also...i still have the old block....do you think it would be in working condition if i replaced the crank sproket and bolt?...is that all it was?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts