VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my car did not want to start one day. Here is the original problem:
The starter is cranking but the car is not starting. It seems like it wants to start when I turn the key b/c the RPMs go up to around 400, but it won't hold and just dies when I stop turning the key. I can hear that it is somewhat firing maybe on one cylinder because the exhaust sputters a little but then it dies

Well I went and tried to start the car today after it has been sitting for a few days and it did start after cranking a little. It started up rough, and the idle was a bit rough. When I gave it a little gas it would chug while the RPMs rose. Then after warming up a little, the RPMs would fluctuate up and down after giving it some gas. It was jumping up and down between 800-1200 and then would settle down.
I took it around the block to see if everything was OK and the car would sputter a little when I tried to accelerate. It would make a popping noise in the exhaust as I gave it gas but then it would go. It did this intermittently. Then I started to smell a hint of that sulfur smell from before, so I decided to take it back home. As I was driving back the CEL light came on flashing and then went solid. When i got home I could smell that sulfur/burning odor again , so I left it alone.
What is going on? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Car is acting crazy.....weird symptoms....HELP (Jett'in)

Anyone?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,287 Posts

I would get it looked at.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts

Sulfur? maybe a bad cat? Mine smells like poop, too. sorry, man.

·
Registered
156 Posts

hey jett'in, i have seen the same problem with my car.
i think i know how you can fix it. but i dont really feel like typing out the same poo.
so heres the original thread where we fixed about fifty peoples cars with that same dying/idling problem.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=905467
hope it helps

pete

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Car is acting crazy.....weird symptoms....HELP (Ryumusha)

SOunds good. Actually spitpilot told me the same thing.
I tried starting the car up today and it started up OK, a little rough though. After letting it warm up a little, I took it for a ride and the car sputtered when I accelerated and the CEL started flashing again then went solid. It did this the last time I took the car out.
It again started to smell that suflfur odor but not as prominent.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, I cleaned the throttle body, upper intake manifold, MAF sensor, and K&N air filter. Also I took out the plugs to see what they looked like and they were red (electrode and core)

The car now does start up every time but still sputters when I accelerate. So I went to Autozone to get the codes read and it said that I am having multiple misfires. It gave 5 codes: Cylinder 1 misfire (2x), Multiple Cylinder misfire (2x), and Cylinder 2 misfire.
What could it be?

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts

Sounds like it could be a damaged or plugged catalytic converter. My car behaved the exact same way when mine went. It would idle like crap, run roughly, and it popped misfire codes like it was its job.
It was fixed under that federal emissions warranty thank god. Damn things are like $800 at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Car is acting crazy.....weird symptoms....HELP (JettaGLS)

WEll after talking to a few people here on vortex, it seems that it could be the ignition coil

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Jett'in »
WEll after talking to a few people here on vortex, it seems that it could be the ignition coil

Possibly... We thought that about mine for awhile too.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

How do I test if it is the coil?

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts

How do I test if it is the coil?

We just swapped in another one that we knew was good, but I'm sure there's got to be some test procedure for it.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

How would a bad coil cause the sulfur smell that comes after running the car?
Just want to identify the cause of that

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts

How would a bad coil cause the sulfur smell that comes after running the car?
Just want to identify the cause of that

Well... A bad coil really doesn't explain it. However a bad catalytic converter would.
You can diagnose a bad cat a few different ways... (exhaust gas analyzer, backpressure test, etc...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts