VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my car started shaking badly and throwing a flashing CEL. I scanned it and got this.
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Anyone have any clue what it might be.
I did clean my engine with some spray before show and go so maybe that caused something but this never happened before.
Any help would be apreciated thanks.

· Registered
4,603 Posts
Re: Car is running like crap...need some help with a code (FastAndFurious)

check the connections to the coilpacks. Could be a bad coilpack (worst case), or maybe one of the connectors just got a little wet.
If the connections look fine, you could pull each coilpack one by one and make sure there is no condensation between the coilpacks and the plugs.
The APH/AWD Hitachi coilpacks are great compared to the later ones (recalled Bremi's).
good luck!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I pulled the coilpacks out and checked the connections and everything seems fine. I didnt check the spark plugs though. Should i take a look at those before going to the dealer and getting coilpacks. BTW sprak plugs were changed at 40k i'm just under 60k now.

· Registered
4,603 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FastAndFurious »
I pulled the coilpacks out and checked the connections and everything seems fine. I didnt check the spark plugs though. Should i take a look at those before going to the dealer and getting coilpacks. BTW sprak plugs were changed at 40k i'm just under 60k now.

plugs should be fine w/ 20k on them. You can always re-gap them though and check to see if they look normal (not black and rich).
If you do go to the dealer, just pick up one coilpack (~$20) and start swapping each one until you find the bad one. Good luck!

· Registered
4,603 Posts

Quote, originally posted by FastAndFurious »
yeah but could it be that all 4 are bad or is that not possible?

i guess anything is possible, but it would be very very unlikely.
One coil being bad is all it takes for it to run completely horrible.

· Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Car is running like crap...need some help with a code (gt2437)

Ok thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif What i don't understand is why i have shaking/vibration...engine seems to moving more then it should. Could this be all from the coilpack, it isnt throwing any other codes and i just replaced the transmission mount 2-3weeks ago.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
Re: Car is running like crap...need some help with a code (fbomb)

first things first, pull all 4 plugs. Get a gapping tool (so cheap at any parts store, prob 1$) and take a wire brush to your plugs. Clean off all that (black) carbon. regap them and then put them in, if one is bad it will be pretty messed up and i dont think you should have that problem.If problem persists, then make your way to the wires, take them off (one by one) and inspect them 100%, if problem persists, try the coil pack (common failure on vw's) good luck, if none of them work youll have to check timing and all that good stuff! good luck man!

· Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Car is running like crap...need some help with a code (evolixsurf)

well today i drove it around and and soon ias i get over 3k rpm it starts sounding like its a TDI..this is all on cold starts... Then i decided to go to the dealer and pick up a coil pack, on my way there the car is acting all normal again. I cleared the CEL and it wouldn't come back on. I think it must be the change of weather, so i'm going to drive it around a little more to figure this thing out. IT can't be the spark plugs (20K) on them and coil pack, i have the good brand, so i'm starting to believe its the cold starts.

· Registered
809 Posts

most platinum plugs have more than one electrodes. they cant be regapped but you can check to see if they are fouled. it is probably your spark plug wires. good luck

· Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Car is running like crap...need some help with a code (fbomb)

it was cilinder #4 spark plug, it was fried. Gotta change the rest soon. That was wierd, they only had 20k, my mechanic said i should change them every 20k because of the chip.
Well at least it runs decent right now, i'm happy it wasnt the coil packs

· Registered
7,345 Posts

FYI when you have a miss, a good way to isolate the cylinder is to pull one coil plug at a time WHILE running. If it doesnt get worse when you pull it, theres your culprit, if it gets worse its not your problem. If none make any diff then narrow down to fuel and pull injector plugs one by one very briefly and observe the changes in the same manor as before. Just a good way to be narrow it down to a cylinder or connector.

· Registered
216 Posts
FWIW I wouldn't recommend trying to gap the stock platinums, the tip is very delicate. When I was chipped I started running NGK BKR7E's with a lot of success. You can get them for less than $20 for a box of 10 shipped to your door from rockauto.com.
They're copper plugs, which i change every 5-10k but since they're so cheap I prefer to have newer plugs more often than longer lasting plugs... don't know why.. that's just me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.