VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
56k. WORTH THE WAIT!
well, i'm pretty much still recovering from being at the track for 4 days! now i need a weekend to recover from my weekend! anyways, there was a Porsche 980 there this weekend and i got sick of seeing the same stupid press photos that everyone else takes. so, i took my own:
let's start with the engine bay. hey, note... it's filled with Mobil 1 right from the factory!

let's get a little closer in and also check out that nifty location for the tool kit!

nice Sachs adjustable coilovers on each corner! i've seen suspension geometry like this only on Formula cars and prototypes:

brake lights, backup lights, and that one on the right glows if you really gas it hard! lots of carbon fibre here!

big yellow brakes! nice! also note the right side center locking nut is blue:

these lights remind me of a gatling gun. very cool!

hey, who makes this thing anyways?

the left side locking nuts are red. very cool!

get a little closer in:

let's move back to get a better pic of those wheels and tires:

note, the badge is recessed into the hood! clever!

even the wheel wells are carbon fibre!

you can't quite see it, but this cool crap has to do with a sensor for the transmission fluid for something or another:

ground effects fresh outta the Group C program... made out of carbon fibre of course!

right side, and check that phattty tie tread:

intake... reminds me of a prototype race car with the radiator and oil cooler angles:

note the steep angle to ram air over to the coolers:

carbon fibre sill, carbon fibre tunnel! and check those nice pedals out!

dash is totally Porsche!

check the speaker location, along with the power windows and mirror adjustment:

emergency kit?

hey! put that blue cap on right!

somewhere down there hides a cylinder head and a bunch of neat electrical stuff. it's covered by carbon fibre for now though!

let's get another look at those Sachs coilovers:

and thus ends our tour of the Porsche 980! i hope you've learned something new!

obin http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: car lounge EXCLUSIVE... the Porsche 980 pics NOBODY else took! (sucking chest wound)

Quote, originally posted by sucking chest wound »
Oh, you mean the GT.

hey, there's three Carrera GT generations... we gotta keep them straight

we're not talking about this Carrera GT:

or this Carrera GT:

because none of those are Porsche 980s

obin

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (gottagti)

Quote, originally posted by gottagti »
Awsome pix Obin! My favorite parts are the paint chips/bugs on the front bumper..this car has been driven! Did you get to wheel it at all?

not this time! work schedule kept us too busy to even take lots of photos. we were so busy that we only got a chance to see 3/4 of one race all weekend!
maybe next year!
obin

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
Great pics as always.

·
Registered
13,735 Posts
Re: car lounge EXCLUSIVE... the Porsche 980 pics NOBODY else took! (vertigo)

gorgeous car, nice shots Obin. The Carrera GT is by far my favorite, it has so much more style and grace compared to the Enzo.
Mike

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Re: car lounge EXCLUSIVE... the Porsche 980 pics NOBODY else took! (VWMike81)

You rule...
Nice details I woulda never seen anywhere else...
Car is the sickest in everyway http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: car lounge EXCLUSIVE... the Porsche 980 pics NOBODY else took! (Sam1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by Sam1.8T »
Wondering....where's the spoiler here?

it's a Porsche dude... remember it retracts into the car

obin

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Re: car lounge EXCLUSIVE... the Porsche 980 pics NOBODY else took! (Obin Robinson)

AWESOME! I saw the car at the NY auto show, and the press photos don't even begin to do it justice. Your pics got all the details that go unseen, such as the cf wheelwells. Great pics http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: car lounge EXCLUSIVE... the Porsche 980 pics NOBODY else took! (trbogti)

Quote, originally posted by trbogti »
AWESOME! I saw the car at the NY auto show, and the press photos don't even begin to do it justice. Your pics got all the details that go unseen, such as the cf wheelwells. Great pics http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

that was my EXACT motivation when i took the pics! i tried to think of all the angles of stuff that youn don't see in the endlessly recycled press "eye-candy" photo shoots. you don't get the close-in angles of stuff which you always wondered about but never get a chance to see! good thing the weather was so perfect this weekend! the sun really helps!
also, for what it's worth, the engine sounds A LOT like a Viper, but not as "brawny". it also has that smooth V10 sound of a Judd GV4 or GV5... but not as high revving. to imagine the sound of a 980 idling or moving along... imagine 2 Audi 20V engines perfectly in sync and that's pretty much it. it's not very large either! it's about the size of a Boxster (986):

obin

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.