VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
15,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of buying a car in the summer in Chicago is driving it thru construction zones. After a week of not washing due to rain (heresy!) I noticed tar on my car (hard to miss black on yellow!). What's the safest way to get it off? Are those orange oil-based cleaners safe on our finishes? My paint will remain tar-stained until I hear from this great VW community. (Please no should's or probably's. I'd prefer to hear from people who have actually used something)

· Registered
11,874 Posts
Re: Car meets tar...your thoughts (gtfli1)

My dad has this GM "tar and road remover" stuff that takes it off in nearly a single wipe. Works great and doesn't harm the paint. I'm sure there are many similar products that can do the same thing.

· Registered
873 Posts

Any tar remover will probably work. I personally use 3M Tar & Adhesive Remover.
Whatever you use, make sure you re-wax the areas you use it on because almost all tar removers will take off any was you have.

· Registered
734 Posts

I've used "OOPS" that I bought a LOWES. It has seved me well on tar, and those unsightly dealer name stickers that they put on cars they sell...Never a problem! Even used it on 2 day old paint on my Scirocco, when some nasty tree goop landed on it and baked in with the sun...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.