VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else find it odd, that people will spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on go-fast parts, yet complain about the prices of drivers education events. More importantly, those who spend all that money to go fast, yet won't goto a drivers event to improve their own driving and get more out of their cars?
Seems like me any driver training you take to make yourself a better driver will carry over to any car you drive in the future(unlike a new turbo or body kit), and allow one to drive safer, even at a high speed?
Seems like the most important mod to me(asides from brakes) is to mod the driver via drivers education or via autocross. Anyone else find it odd that DE is ignored in favor of performance mods, by people who "think" they can drive fast?
My guess is that it is an age thing, but perhaps I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Re: Car Mods Vs Driver mods/education (profbooty)

A certificate should be mandatory for purchasing high-powered vehicles... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
765 Posts
<smartass>I spent $45 on GranTurismo3...countless hours, and several international licenses, later I have deemed myself capable of driving any vehicle in any condition at any speed.<smartass>

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Car Mods Vs Driver mods/education (GTI666)

Quote, originally posted by GTI666 »
A certificate should be mandatory for purchasing high-powered vehicles... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I actually agree with that, in particular high powered sportsbikes. Ive come across way to many novice riders(i only have 3 years experience) riding 900+cc bikes and can't handle them properly. Something like a "masters" driving license wouldn't be a bad idea, but probably would not be appreciated by the general public. Insurance companies, and states probably would because of lower insurance claims(assuming you can demonstrate you know how to drive safely) and additonal revenue for the state.

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,737 Posts

It is a location thing, not everyone has a track near their house.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Car Mods Vs Driver mods/education (BltByKrmn)

Quote, originally posted by BltByKrmn »

True, but there are tracks within several hours of most major cities. And there are plenty of auto cross events where drivers can learn control of their cars at low speed.

·
Registered
16,949 Posts

The thing is everyone thinks that, yet its very rarely true. I bet everyone in the US has a track within reasonable driving distance (for a weekend event).
Its agonizing how hard it is to get people to actually use the modifications they put on their car on a track. Just getting people to autocross is virtually impossible most of the time.
Face it, most people put mods on their cars so they can brag to their friends or on message boards, whether they be "rice" mods or true performance mods. They love to preach about how great they are, but very rarely back it up.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

man, i could write a freaking 26-volume encyclopedia on the number of people i've seen who had tens of thousands of dollars in engine, wheels, suspension, and chassis... that got passed by good drivers in cheaper cars.
it happens too much for me to keep track of. i see tire warmers, full Motec systems, portable scales, a huge transporter, air jacks, Castro SRF, special suspensions, turbos, superchargers, unique brakes... all on a car that gets LAPPED multiple times by a bone stock beater with 4 used racing slicks.
hey, if people want to spend all that cash on a car just to say they did, then more power to them! i just wish they wouldn't look so surprised when someone else in a car worth less than their WHEELS flies by and passes them for the 2nd time in 15 minutes.
obin

·
Registered
16,737 Posts
I am not saying *ME* personally, I would love to go to Watkins Glen and will be doing so when I have a car I can count on to make the trip back to my house after racing it on the track.
I was saying the majority of people do not want to drive multiple hours to go to the track, or atleast that is what they have told me.

·
Registered
17,005 Posts

If I wreck my car on the track, I gotta fix it out of my pocket. If I crash it on the road, insurance picks up the tab.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Car Mods Vs Driver mods/education (FatSean)

Quote, originally posted by FatSean »
If I wreck my car on the track, I gotta fix it out of my pocket. If I crash it on the road, insurance picks up the tab.

A drivers education event is not racing. Some insurance companies will cover it. For example a buddy of mine spun out at a drivers event at summit point 2 weeks ago. 4k in bodywork damages and his insurance company is paying for it.
check with your insurance company, you might be surprised. Some places even offer a discount if you take a highway safety course.
for people in the DC/Va area
http://www.bsr-inc.com/ is a good place to check out, they offer friday all day driving courses as well as highway safety driving courses. Plus you use thier cars for the highway courses.

Modified by profbooty at 5:12 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
16,949 Posts

I am not saying *ME* personally, I would love to go to Watkins Glen and will be doing so when I have a car I can count on to make the trip back to my house after racing it on the track.
I was saying the majority of people do not want to drive multiple hours to go to the track, or atleast that is what they have told me.

Understood. People will make plenty of excuses not to actually have to prove themselves.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

if you are serious about this... then shoot me an e-mail if you want to do a D.E. sooner or later. i am thinking about going to one on the 30th of July. if the only thing keeping you from watkins glen is the return trip home, then i'll be happy to help and you could probably bunk here in the guest room. it's only 30 minutes from my doorstep to the grandstands. we have friends stay here all them time when they're coming in from out of town and don't want to get a hotel at the "Glen.
if you're serious, then just check the track use schedule and see what event you can get into. the Mustang Club and Audi Club often have lower rates than PCA, BMW, or Corvette clubs.

obin

·
Registered
16,737 Posts
Re: Car Mods Vs Driver mods/education (Obin Robinson)

Obin I will def let you know when I go, I am sure JrodVW will go with me too. It is my car I am worried about, not the place to sleep.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

you can get insurance to cover damage that happens at the race track.
an example:
http://www.cossioenterprises.com/
obin

·
Registered
16,949 Posts

It is my car I am worried about

Then maybe you should spend your money modifying it and making it faster, rather than trying to actually drive it

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

True, so be careful out there and race safe.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

Obin I will def let you know when I go, I am sure JrodVW will go with me too. It is my car I am worried about, not the place to sleep.

if for some unfortunate reason your car got messed up and you needed a place to fix it... my wife's uncle has a garage about 5 minutes from the track in Montour Falls where we could do any repairs all night long if necessary. all the tools you'd need to build a car if you wanted to (including welders and air tools). one thing is that we'd of course need to make sure we called in advance. i'm actaully going over there this weekend to install some adjustable Konis on the 944. very convenient

obin

·
Banned
13,716 Posts

My car is bone stock, but I am a member of PCA and have attended a few drivers events as well as the occasional Autocross. Not to mention behind the wheel time and defensive driving classes before I got my liscense years ago.
Any car can go fast, just push the skinny pedal on the right. It's all about control.
It's like the RCA dog look I get from people when I tell them I get excited about $5,000 brake setups on 911's. Control is everything

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Re: Car Mods Vs Driver mods/education (JrodVW)

Oh, and I'm down like a clown to go back to Watkins Glen!!! Lake Seneca is gorgeous and the town is a great place to socialize at night, that track is an absolute treat, and I haven't been since 2001

1 - 20 of 42 Posts