VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 gti 12v vr6 (AFP) this morning I went to turn on my car it cranked, started, then died in about 5 seconds. After I tried starting it again it would crank but not even try to start and I was greeted with the STOP warning and an "oil pressure stop engine" message. My oil level is perfect, coolant is perfect, what else could it be?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Voltage level ? Amp Capacity, water level , electrolyte (though not to many checks these anymore, let alone knowing what a hydrometer is/was) if it is an older battery, take it to an auto store like autozone, they have testers willing to test for your free... ? your lights and electronic would work from anything 11v to 16 or 17--ish volts... google is your friend, but battery is usually the first thing to check or scan for code, check fuse , and proper grounding if you have a lot of corrosion etc, in any troubleshooting especially if it works then it don't the next day....

***Not sure how your Air Conditioning works without the car engine running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Voltage level ? Amp Capacity, water level , electrolyte (though not to many checks these anymore, let alone knowing what a hydrometer is/was) if it is an older battery, take it to an auto store like autozone, they have testers willing to test for your free... ? your lights and electronic would work from anything 11v to 16 or 17--ish volts... google is your friend, but battery is usually the first thing to check or scan for code, check fuse , and proper grounding if you have a lot of corrosion etc, in any troubleshooting especially if it works then it don't the next day....

***Not sure how your Air Conditioning works without the car engine running.
I'll take the battery later today and I looked at the connections and the ground was good but the positive wire and the fuse panel wire are both exposed and corroded, I ordered new cables and a new fuse panel to be safe. Thank you

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, E30, P71, Accord DD
4,285 Posts
Good move replacing corroded battery cables. Many things suffer as the battery cables deteriorate with age.

The main problem is that there is an oil pressure warning. That is the most serious warning you can have in any car. You might have a situation where the wiring to an oil pressure switch is broken or corroded like your battery cables, but don't assume that and keep trying to run the engine.

Take an oil pressure warning as seriously as you would take a wheel falling off your car while driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good move replacing corroded battery cables. Many things suffer as the battery cables deteriorate with age.

The main problem is that there is an oil pressure warning. That is the most serious warning you can have in any car. You have a situation where the wiring to an oil pressure switch is broken or corroded like your battery cables, but don't assume that an keep trying to run the engine.

Take an oil pressure warning as seriously as you would take a wheel falling off your car while driving.
Yeah I've been really stressed about the oil pressure warning, I'll look at the oil pressure switch when I get a chance. And I won't be running the car I have a back up for work so it'll sit until I get more parts. Thank you

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Yeah I've been really stressed about the oil pressure warning, I'll look at the oil pressure switch when I get a chance. And I won't be running the car I have a back up for work so it'll sit until I get more parts. Thank you
only pressure switch is a two wire switch in most of the VW MKIVs... it's not a sensor, when the oil pressure reach certain bar ( don't know off the top of my head) it will disconnect the switch and your dash oil light goes off.. so if you engine don't start and this switch stays on... I think it would be normal. but if engine is running, and this light stays on... yeah be concern.. either broken wire bad switch or you have oil pressure issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts