VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched the car twice the other night and roughly 1 or 2 minutes later the temperature shot up very quickly and the STOP light came up on the dash. Pulled over and gave the car a few minutes to cool off. Took it back around the block and the temp shot back up. Any ideas? After I let it sit and cool I checked the fluid level and it is normal. What I did notice was that while the car was running but before it heated up it felt like there was no pressure on the radiator hose. Also tried riding around the block with the heat on full blast. The temperature proceeded to rise still pretty quickly. Anyone? Any and all help is appreciated. Ive launched the car before but have never had this happen, not quite sure what I happened.
Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Car Overheating Badly (orangeskill)

@ 04GLI03ES - I think that I had the same thing happen to me today. I was driving normally for a good 45 miles (River Edge, NJ to Jones Beach, NY) and the temperature gague was reading the normal 190F. Then after paying a toll to enter the beach (recall I was in NY, so everything costs even public beaches), I came out of the toll area aggressively, but nothing out of the ordinary, not like I was racing anyone, and as I came around a corner I received the same warning -- the car begans to overheat. As a heads up, I have a 2005 GLI stock w/ roughly 49K miles. If you are in that ballpark, perhaps it's just the time that piece of electronics goes?
@ Orangeskill - I think you are dead on! I was sitting idle for a good hour and the car had cooled all the way down. Once I starter her up and drove for about a 1 mile, the temp crepted up to the normal 190F, but then shortly thereafter, it began to climb higher -- towards the 260F+ range. I checked a short time later, and noticed that neither of the front radiator fans were running/turning. As you suggested, I believe the thermostat bit it, or some other temperature gague, and that is keeping a signal at bay to engage those fans to cool everything down. I just hope that other damage didn't occur in the process. Either way,the beach never happened, and we were so close.
I'll post an update when I know something. 04GLI03ES, let us know what happens.
Now driving my dad's spare 1992 Chevorlet Caprice, but thank goodness for dad.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: Car Overheating Badly (mattynovak)

So, some news...turns out that the water pump is bad and the driver-side fan is also shot. Going to replace both.
Let's us know what your's ends up being.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same problem. I noticed I had a coolant flange leak and I fixed that. Then I went driving for a bit and it sat right @ 190. Then 1/2 mile later it started rising quickly. I let is sit for about 5 mintues and it was back to 190. Then 1/2 mile to 1 mile later same thing. It only takes a few minutes for it to get back down to 190. I have a new thermostat that I hope will fix it. Also, I noticed the fans were not running the other night (when this happened) but they ran today when I cranked the car and turned on the A/C. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I got the old thermostat out, put the new one on and now.......I cannot get the bolt back on the thermostat housing. I did not take off the alternator (would have been tons easier). You guys have any suggestions? I don't really wanna take the alternator off now since I am so close. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
hmm, i know ive seen a thermostat diy... search for it. also- i think its good to replace the plastic - thermostat housing while you are at it- sorry. ive never actually replaced this thermostat before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replaced the thermostat with a 10deg cooler one, temp continues to climb to max but slightly slower. So thats not it. Noticed a slight whining noise that wasnt there before the launch, beginning the think its the water pump :/ Is there a tutorial for replacing it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
water pump replacement is a major job- and is usually done along w/ a timing belt at around 80k miles (?). pay a shop to do it unless you have some experience. other than the water pump ( which is a possibility)- i think it can also be the coolant temperature sensor. The non green top sensors are defective- if yours isn't green- replace it (easy job and about 20$).
While i am at it- 1 last suggestion- do not use antifreeze(green)- use g12 coolant (its pink). if you have added antifreeze along w/ that thermostat- get a coolant flush immediately. I have no idea about the whining noise.
so, overheating?
step 1: thermostat
step 2: coolant temp sensor
step 3: fans turning on? (should come on w/ air conditioner)
step 4: water pump ( do the timing belt at the same time)
step 5:?
step 6: profit?

Modified by orangeskill at 9:17 PM 8-17-2009

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: (orangeskill)

It's me 04gli03es on my friends screen name. I did use the proper coolant. I do have some experience in replacing timing belts but not on this platform. I'll take a look at the sensor and see what color it is. If it is the water pump I'll do it myself, not looking forward to it because it's such a cluster**** under the hood. Any tutorials on changing the water pump? Might make my job a little easier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
HEY! This sounds familiar! So I was hard on the accelerator and heard a lout BANG as the car shot between gears. I got scared, stopped checked everything out, nothing was wrong and I drove off.
A little over a week later I filled up the car with gas and headed home. A little less than a mile from home the car suddenly shoots to 260F and starts beeping at me. I get home and park the car, leave the hood open and leave. In the evening I get back and it starts up just fine, at idle sits at 190F but when driven climbs up REAL fast.
I go to AutoZone and get a new thermostat. I spend many hours diddling with it because I did the method where you don't remove the alternator. Finally get it on and let the car idle. It climbs quickly to 190F and sits there but if I drive it even a half mile it shoots up again.
When I stop the car it sits and makes its usual whirring sound but it sounds a bit 'grindy' giving me the suspicion that it's the water pump. So I ordered a new metal water pump and timing belt kit from ECS which I will be installing here soon.
I'm worried this may turn out to be a blown head gasket but I have not seen any white smoke coming out the tail pipe, the coolant and oil both seem to be fine so the classical symptoms do not point to it. If it is, can someone tell me how I would know if the head is warped or where around Stamford Connecticut or Worcester Massachusetts I could get it looked at and machined?
It also seemed odd that the fans did not turn on despite the car being so hot (hot to the point the coolant was rushing into the engine then being forced back out into overflow tank as steam over and over again). The upper radiator hose was blistering hot while the bottom one was cool but felt 'hollow' as if it were empty. After I gave the bottom one a few squeezes the coolant in the overflow tank bubbled a bit then the level went down and then it seemed some coolant flowed into the lower hose but the system did not seem to be not circulating.
WTF is going on here? I'm waiting on the water pump and timing belt deal which should be done about now anyways but could there be another problem here?

·
Registered
50 Posts
@lebedevster this is exactly my problem. i am going to change out my thermostat this weekend. i am hoping it is not the water pump. i don't have the time or space to change that out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: (lebedevster)

so it looks like i am in the same boat. i just took the thermostat out. put the new o-ring on. got everything back together and topped off on coolant. drove it around for about 10 minutes. everything seemed fine. as i got back to park it started over heating. coolant was from passengers side
fans weren't kicking on so i might look into the radiator fan switch before i take it to the shop for a fix. i don't have a garage so i can't replace the waterpump myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: (jthommarson)

Well the water pump and timing belt come in on Tuesday for me, I'll be swapping them in then so I'll let you know what happens from that.. Any luck with the fan deal?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts