VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that many car-related products leave us desiring more for our money - they either don't work as well as we'd like, or they don't work at all.
But, there are a number of products I know of that are just AWESOME - they perform their tasks perfectly and yield 100% customer satisfaction. These are the kinds of parts/chemicals/tools/appliances that we would recommend to our friends and always make sure to keep around our garages. They live up to their highest expectations, and might even put a smile on a user's face.
so...
What kinds of products do 'Texers "swear by"? (not necessarily brand-specific - - just "types" are ok)

For instance, the product that got me started on this thought was a tire repair kit.

i had a hole in a brand new Hakka Q snow tire. I was pretty ticked-off, but I repaired the hole in about 5 minutes - without taking the wheel off the car or getting dirty! the repair is permanent and easy as heck to do on the side of the road!! I even made the repair before much air had leaked out, so I drove away happy - knowing that I not only avoided a roadside-problem, but avoided paying to fix/replace the tire.
...100% customer satisfaction. I would recommend that EVERYONE carry one of these with you...

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Re: Car Related Products - 100% Satisfaction (rx7racr)

I'd have to say my TomTom Navigator GPS attached to my Dell Axim is by far and away the best automotive thing I've ever had. I would recommend
one of these to anyone.

· Registered
17,503 Posts
Re: Car Related Products - 100% Satisfaction (veedweeb)

vag-com when i had my A4. paid for itself many times over, and was fun as hell to play with http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
the plug-in air freshener from bath and body works......replaceable scents. gotta love it.

· Registered
4,307 Posts

AlienTech window controller. One of perhaps half a dozen things I'll miss when I go from my Jetta to a WRX (the others being the instrumentation, the more adjustable steering wheel, and, uh.... I was gonna say heated seats and sunroof, but I'll have those
)

· Registered
8,264 Posts

I gotta give HUGE props to Castrol Super-Clean degreaser, toxic as heck but nothing cleans an engine bay better.
And I'm a huge fan of 3M's Imperial hand glaze, its the best for fixing bird crap damage on your paint and I've also used it to remove painted-on pinstripes.
And just about anything made by Griots, esp. speed shine.

· Banned
10,783 Posts
Re: Car Related Products - 100% Satisfaction (MAC)

The Valentine One. THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT piece of equipment in my car when I go anywhere.
Driving without it is like driving naked. Its liberating, but you feel awfully vulnerable.

· Registered
42,970 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Meguiar's three-step cleaner/polish/wax. Good price, easy to use, and great shine and protection. I don't show my cars, or like to put a lot of effort into the outside appearance (they're just going to get dirty anyway), but that stuff has an awesome effort:results ratio for me.
I was sold after I could set a cloth on the almost completely level hood of my Mk3 GTI and it just slid right off. No friction whatsoever.

· Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
9,486 Posts
Re: Car Related Products - 100% Satisfaction (mtrainVR6)

Generally, tire plugs aren't recommended for use anymore. They aren't as "stable" as taking the tire off of the rim and patching it.
I found the Garmin Streetpilot III nav system to be very impressive and well-thought-out.
Tom

· Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Car Related Products - 100% Satisfaction (mutcth)

Quote, originally posted by mutcth »
Generally, tire plugs aren't recommended for use anymore.

I drive a car that was built in an era when it was acceptable to use tire plugs... ...so they should work just fine!

(there's some logic for ya!)

· Registered
1,436 Posts

i've used tire plugs about 10-15 times now in the 7 years i've been driving (i have a real knack for running over nails and screws) and every single time they have worked wonderfully.
i wholeheartedly support tire plugs
oh and my V1, wow i love that thing

· Registered
2,577 Posts
Re: Car Related Products - 100% Satisfaction (AudiVwMeister)

Quote, originally posted by AudiVwMeister »
"the absorber" has always worked well for me.

Yea, I will never go back to regular leather chamois again, and also my Passport 8500, yea it's not a valentine but I got it brand new for half the price (gotta love connections), and they are definately comperable, considering the 8500 won motor trends latest test ( http://motortrend.com/motor/fe...radar )by .1 over the valentine I would say its a matter of money and personal preference http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Car Related Products - 100% Satisfaction (kaljer)

Quote, originally posted by kaljer »

Yea, I will never go back to regular leather chamois again, and also my Passport 8500, yea it's not a valentine but I got it brand new for half the price (gotta love connections), and they are definately comperable, considering the 8500 won motor trends latest test ( http://motortrend.com/motor/fe...radar )by .1 over the valentine I would say its a matter of money and personal preference http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

aren't radar detectors pretty useless against laser??

· Banned
5,323 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rx7racr »

aren't radar detectors pretty useless against laser??

if u r the only one on the road or n the front of the 'pack' he fires the laser beam at u then yes u r right, it's useless because by the even if ur detector picks it up, ur still caught. if it bounces off an object however the radar/laser detector should pick it up.

· Registered
4,357 Posts
Mother's clay bar, while we're on the topic of detailing stuff. It made my car smoother than ever, super noticable results...Short of wet-sanding it I think this is as good as it gets.
I like my StrapWrench(tm) too...good for taking filters off and -- unlike a dedicated filter wrench -- good for other things too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.