VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking to get some feedback. My car was in a couple unfortunate accidents recently (side swiped the rear quarter and pushed the rear bumper in)

I have a 2004 VW Golf 2.0 GL with 140k miles on it. After all is said and done with new paint, bodywork, and labor it'll cost me about $1,900. I was reimbursed for all of the damages by insurance so I have the cash to do it.

Also, I've done a bunch of repairs recently
-Camshaft sensor
-Serpentine and timing belt
-New front struts
-New headlights/tail lights (replaced the outed tail from the bumper incident)
-New Rear brakes

I figure she's got a lot more life in her after this maintenance, I just wanna make sure I'm not making a stupid decision.

Do you guys think its worth putting that much into an old gal? I'd hate to get rid of her but I'm wondering if its worth it.

Thanks,
-A broke college student

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
It all depends on if YOU want to keep it. Personally I would as you already know what is/isn't wrong with it. Purchasing a different car would open up another can of worms with the new vehicle that you might not have the funds to repair. Or just keep the $ and part out yours for more $ to go towards a new car, but expect a part out to take awhile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lol man I have a 01 jeta 2.slow that ive replaced, windshield, fuel filter, starter, alternator, coil pack plugs/plug wires, crank sensor, thermostat, struts, springs front and rear, post cat o2 sensor, cup holder, wiper arm assembly, glove box, whole exhaust, intake, coolant flange, and many more I cant remember. She has 2 tiny specs of rust, is dented to **** and still going strong.. im going to fix all the rust and dents and get it wrapped (1500) and then swap in a lower km vr6 (2500) lol if I havent given up yet neither should you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I picked up my '04 Jetta 1.8t with 232k miles and a "rebuilt" title. Although the prior history is vague, it would appear the car was involved in a "sandwich" style accident that destroyed the front and rear bumper covers, rad support and hood. The car was apparently bought with a salvage title by a dealer, rebuilt and sold to the person I bought it from. I would suspect the car was "totalled" due to the high mileage because the repairs were well done and the only apparent frame "damage" was to the rear where the bumper support and mounts were bent and the trunk lip pushed in about 1/4". There are no leaks. The same color salvage yard bumper cover hides this damage quite well and the lid scrapes slightly on closing but it would take a trained eye to see these repairs and only up close.

Mechanically, I had to replace the aux. cooling fan, repair the vacuum lines at the N249, crank vent hoses, PCV valve and replace the 409 relay and I had a car ready to drive with no CEL. I also repaired some misc electrical "issues" such as gas and trunk release motors, driver's window switch, etc. It came with newer tires, 2 FOBs, new fuel pump and filter and "gold" battery (Advance AP, since replaced for free! :)). I paid $1600 for the car delivered 30 miles to my shop which may have been a little bit high considering the title. I put another $200 into it and 20 hours labor to get it to where I would drive it. It WAS certainly driveable as I got it, but I am particular about my ride because I drive them hard.

I've since put 33k on it in 2.5 years (just turned 265k). Of course, one doesn't drive a high-mile car without expecting to put some time and effort into it occasionally. Wear and maintenance items included front struts, injector seals, timing belt and tensioners, water pump (twice), t-stat (twice), intercooler (used), synthetic tranny fluid (5-speed--made it shift so much better!), battery top fuse box, coolant expansion tank, head gooseneck, hose and rad hose plastic fitting, rad temp sender, etc. The only thing that stranded me was the alternator overrunning pulley leaving the car and throwing the belt. This was entirely my fault as I procrastinated ordering the pulley for a week allowing it to entirely self-destruct. AAA is your friend with a high-mile car.

Anyway, my point is: you know the car and what you have into it. I would do the work yourself and pocket the money. I would have to see a pic of the damage to properly advise you. A functional repair may be far less costly than an aesthetic repair but you may not be able to stomach the results or lack thereof (ie: you want the car to look like it used to). My mindset would say that the car will NOT be worth the money you put into it afterwords... But the more you drive it, the more value you will see from the repairs. You need to balance out your investment with what a car payment would cost you. In my case, an estimated $2400 total investment so far over 30 months means the car has cost me about $80/month to own not including insurance and registration...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll keep her!

Thanks guys,

I REALLY want to keep her (which I will). I just wanted to make sure I wasn't pumping money into a car that would break down soon.

I can't wait to get her fixed. I was in a couple accidents recently. Someone slid into my car when it was parked and gave my rear bumper quite a bruising and then another lady failed to yeild as I was turning into a parking lot. All within the span of 2 WEEKS!

Needless to say, I am going to pick up a new rear drivers door and bumper tomorrow. I can't wait to fix her up. I'm gonna get a new paint job done too after that.

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.