VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
like title states. car seems to only start once a day, or every 10 to 13 hours or so. she'll start right up and die right after. but if i keep my foot lightly on the gas she'll give me a good 20 seconds, maybe a little less. i checked, the timing, spark, and sprayed starter fluid directly in the intake. and everything seemed fine. im pretty stumped on what it could be. so help would be greatly appreciated. and if you want i can post a video, of start up, of how she dies right after, friend forgot to give it gas. :laugh:

****ty video on start up. like i said, the friend forgot to give it gas. so she didnt really stay on for long

·
Registered
17,620 Posts
i guess since you're smelling it, too much.
how often it starts really doesn't matter at this point bc it's that it's not starting regularly.

whoa, 11k posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very true. well i just got some starter fluid, to check that theory out. and she didnt start. but i changed the spark plugs twice already. the last one's were pretty dark in color. the set i have in now. are actually clean. i haven't been tryign to start the car as much either.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I see that. I was just going to ask if I was totally blind and those pictures were up there the whole time ;) They look perfectly fine to me. Before doing anything drastic, I would say put a fuel pressure gauge on your car just to see how it is doing. If the pressure stays within acceptable levels, I would then move on down the line. Maybe fuel injectors? Or maybe before that check the fuel pump relay? Maybe if it gets "hot", it stops working? Just some ideas to check out.

Geno-Bob

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see that. I was just going to ask if I was totally blind and those pictures were up there the whole time ;) They look perfectly fine to me. Before doing anything drastic, I would say put a fuel pressure gauge on your car just to see how it is doing. If the pressure stays within acceptable levels, I would then move on down the line. Maybe fuel injectors? Or maybe before that check the fuel pump relay? Maybe if it gets "hot", it stops working? Just some ideas to check out.

Geno-Bob
haha. for a minute i wasn't going to say anything about the pictures haha. but i dont know how you would react since i dont know you, and i really need the help right now lol. but yea man there fresh. i've been changing them often for no reason. but yea i'm def going to change my really then try and find a friend that has one. hopefully tomorrow. do you know where the correct pressure is suppose to be. and if it was getting too little gas wouldn't the starter fluid keep the car alive.?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
very true. well i just got some starter fluid, to check that theory out. and she didnt start. but i changed the spark plugs twice already. the last one's were pretty dark in color. the set i have in now. are actually clean. i haven't been tryign to start the car as much either.
If you sprayed starter fluid in there and it didn't start, why are you still chasing fuel issues? It's still a good idea to give the pressure a check, but this to me says that you're not getting spark. You're probably looking at a distributor/coil issue.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, what i was trying to say, was i dont think its a fuel issue, but i'll try it just in case. and im pretty sure she's getting spark. i even took cylinder 4 spark plug wire out. and it still ran the same it did. changed the spark plugs plenty of time. and the coil is shooting white spark to the distributor, so i know the coil is still good. but it is possible that im missing something.

·
Registered
309 Posts
you could have a vacuum leak, causing the system to run too rich or too lean, or the leak is causing fuel to not be delivered after startup, only during the time the engine is cranking, could also be a bad fuel pressure regulator making the gas just go back to the tank once the system pressurizes, hasnt thrown any codes has it?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that actually sounds really good bro.
but i tried scanning her a couple weeks ago and it kept giving me an error code.
and how could i go about checking for leaks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts