VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I wouldn't care to fix something like this, however when I went to the track last night, I almost didn't pass inspection because of it. I'm hoping it's a relatively easy fix, because I don't want to have to worry about getting into the track next time I go. Where should I start looking? It's an '01 GTI, 5sp 1.8T

·
Banned
1,892 Posts
Re: Car starts without pressing the clutch (anon_az)

if there was any clutch work done, who even did it didnt put the safety switch back

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Car starts without pressing the clutch (RUDE337)

Hm, to my knowledge, it's never had its clutch replaced. I bought it with 53K on it, and the prev owner had it for something like 20-30K and never did the clutch.
Anyways, where does the switch go/sit? What would I need to do to check to see if it's connected or not? I need a Bentley manual

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (kungfoojesus)

Yeah, that had crossed my mind too. Honestly, I don't care if the safety feature is there or not, I just don't want to be hassled the next time I go to the track since they check it on every car that's supposed to be equipped with it.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Re: Car starts without pressing the clutch (RUDE337)

Quote, originally posted by RUDE337 »
if there was any clutch work done, who even did it didnt put the safety switch back

simply removing the switch wouldn't allow the car to be started without pressing the clutch. You have to cut and splice a couple of wires together for the car to be able to do that. To the OP, the switch is located directly above the clutch pedal. When you depress the clutch pedal, the little plunger on the switch is pushed in, (completing the circuit) and allowing the car to start. SHould be an easy fix

·
Registered
512 Posts
You want to hear something wierd...
I can start without the clutch. I can push the clutch in on the highway to turn off the cruise control.
WTF

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Car starts without pressing the clutch (20VT*J4)

I hope so - I'll take a peek at it when I get home to see if there are any spliced wires and un-splice them.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (GodOSoot)

Quote, originally posted by GodOSoot »
I can start without the clutch. I can push the clutch in on the highway to turn off the cruise control.
WTF

(reviving an old thread)
This is the same symptoms my car shows too. Without having access to VAG Com, is it safe to say that I'll be able to "fix" this just by replacing the black clutch switch (as opposed to the blue one)?

·
Registered
13,314 Posts

WTF

not wierd at all. its a safety feature.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts

WTF

Yeah - that's normal... But not for my old car lol... Found that out the hard way.

Accidently popping into neutral on the highway and having the RPMs sit at about 7K rpm: Priceless

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Re: (MeiK)

Quote, originally posted by MeiK »
Yeah - that's normal... But not for my old car lol... Found that out the hard way.

Accidently popping into neutral on the highway and having the RPMs sit at about 7K rpm: Priceless

Happend to me also with an aftermarket cruise control in my 92 pathfinder. I got so scared the first time it happened, I had no Idea what was going on

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Car starts without pressing the clutch (anon_az)

Oh, and one other thing, does this switch differ between different years? I'm going to try to swap out my switch for my friend's (with an '04 GTI), is it worth a shot or is there no chance of them being the same?

·
Registered
823 Posts
I did this to my car on purpose, just unpluged the cable to the clutch pedal and jumpered the ends together with a paperclip.. I had a remote start, then got a new car w/out one and wanted the same functionality

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Re: (dreadlocks)

Fellas,
Some models don't have the "safety" switch behind the clutch. My 99.5 GL 5-speed never had one. I can start the car without pressing the clutch in. I think they started installing these "safety" switches in 2002, but I could be wrong on this...
Anyway, one thing is for sure: certain models came out from the factory without these "safety" switches behind the clutch pedal..

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (vasillalov)

My only problem with this is for when I go to the track, the Tech inspector said every car (or maybe just VW) after 96 (I think was the date) HAS to have this switch and for it to be operational. If someone has *proof* that VW didn't install this switch for some of their more recent cars, I would love to get my hands on it so that I can bring it along with me to prove the car is as should be. Otherwise my car will not pass tech and that = http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Re: (anon_az)

Unfortunately they started installing clutch safety switches in the jetta's starting in 1997. I just checked ETKA.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (fixmy59bug)

Well I finally just decided to dive into it and I found the switch that's the culprit. It's the topmost switch on the clutch pedal, it's gray, and the part number (in case anyone else ever wants/needs to fix this) is 1J0927189C , at least that's the part number for the switch out of my friend's '04. All I know is that I installed it in my car and it worked out fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts