VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2002 jetta and my car stereo is those snap on ones and i want to get a new one so i can attach my ipod to it and listen to music doesn anyone have any suggestions where i can buy a cheap yet good car stereo.

· Registered
3,343 Posts
I have some advice for you. When you ask a question of large numbers of strangers, formulate the f***ing question in a comprehensible way! Take two minutes, read it back and see if it makes any sense at all. Even if it does, make it more clear.

People want to help, and there are a lot of knowledgeable ones here, but you have to help them help you.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay well for those who are confused, I want to buy a new car reciever that has a usb port so i can listen to music on it. Im wondering if anyone here knows where i can find one that is compatible with my car

· Registered
5,486 Posts
Okay well for those who are confused, I want to buy a new car reciever that has a usb port so i can listen to music on it. Im wondering if anyone here knows where i can find one that is compatible with my car
Crutchfield
Amazon
Best Buy
Wal Mart
Any car audio shop in the world
Pawn shops
That sketchy guy at the gas station in the bad part of town (cash only)

· Registered
3,687 Posts
also pull the stereo out and check to see if there is some sort of aux in in the back. mine has one of those and i had to wire it out of the back.

· Registered
10,218 Posts
FV-QR

Might be. If it can control a CD changer then chances are you can get an ipod adapter for it. http://www.dension.com/

· Registered
5,794 Posts
You can get an adapter that allows you to run your iPod through the CD changer input on the back of the stock VW Monsoon stereo. I used this (or one similar) one on my old 20th:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/VW_MLINK1_5.html

Charges and plays through the stock system while you select tracks via the iPod.

2002's had two different types of stereos IIRC so you should contact Enfig to make sure you're getting the right one.

· Registered
3,343 Posts
OK - my initial response was a bit rude, and I apologize. You touched on a pet peeve of mine, but I was wrong, and I'd like to help you out.

You have to buy the whole thing. The faceplate is just a part of the stereo and all the major components are behind the faceplate, so you have to replace the whole head unit if you want a feature that your current player does not support such as USB input.

You can take it to a local shop and have it installed. I'd recommend this route if you have no interest in spending time learning more. Most shops can do a head unit install like this in their sleep. You should be able to get in and out at around $200 with what it sounds like you're looking for.

Or buy from it online, save a couple bucks, and learn a little bit about car stereos. I'd recommend Crutchfield since they will provide you with all the pieces you need and easy-to-follow instructions. You should be decently experienced at working with your hands, but even if you're not, this is a great place to start.

Here's a sweet Alpine with IPod controls and a front USB port for $120:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE121/Alpine-CDE-121.html

A Kenwood with just blue lighting that does everything you need at the same price:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX395/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X395.html
This one would also be the one to get if you eventually want to build a fully amped system since it offers more connections for external amplifiers than the Alpine (which only has a subwoofer output). Of course adding amps, subs, replacing speakers, etc is $$$. It also has a two-year warranty which is not a big deal, but nice.

The Alpine will sound better and go a little louder, but neither is going to knock your socks off. You'd need external amplification for that, which is where the Kenwood will excel.

If you want to get something with the best of both worlds, this JVC looks like a really hot item, getting great reviews, and seems reasonable to me at $180 if you install yourself. It should sound as good as the Alpine, and has the long-term expandability of the Kenwood. This one also has built-in Bluetooth.

[Edit: Tiny clarification. The Bluetooth is not "built in" ... you must plug it into the rear USB port (front remains available to Ipod or whatever you want to pop in there), then you run the included microphone into the interior - as close to your mouth as reasonable, if you're interested in that feature]

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_105KDA815/JVC-Arsenal-KD-A815.html

Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions. I love jamming to tunes in my car, and I hope you get something that will give you the same feeling.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.