VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the car if it's a breakaway foundation.

Saw this happen right in front of me yesterday afternoon. The guy just veered from the left lane all the way off to the right, dead on into the light pole. He was doing at least 80 based on our speed. The light pole cartwheeled through the air like a toothpick, he still had enough momentum to go straight through a second one and keep spinning off the road.

He was getting out of the car as soon as it stopped.

http://www.westport-news.com/news/article/Car-smashes-into-I-95-light-poles-sign-in-655867.php

·
Registered
'16 Fusion Hybrid, '67 Datsun Roadster
19,270 Posts
He should go try that now with a tree of that size.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Its obvious, he does:

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Yea I saw a guy chillen at 75 driving normal have some momo change lanes into him, just as he swerved his ouside front tire blew and he spun down the highway and knocked over 2 of em across 287. Motha ****a was shaking like a leaf afterwards but fine. A lot less damage then I was excpecting 2.

·
Registered
83,397 Posts
guy just veered from the left lane all the way off to the right, dead on into the light pole.
bob12312357 said:
Yea I saw a guy chillen at 75 driving normal have some momo change lanes into him, just as he swerved his ouside front tire blew and he spun down the highway
I am betting the Cav had some type of issue- maybe even a failed wheel bearing.

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am betting the Cav had some type of issue- maybe even a failed wheel bearing.
I think the issue was found behind the wheel. He was weaving in and out of the left lane well before the crash. When he veered right towards the light pole, the brake lights never came on. Drunk, high, texting, sleeping, or some combination of the above is my guess.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
A car went through a wooden phone pole and a 10 inch chestnut tree in front of my house earlier this year. It also mangled a few of my hydrangeas before taking out a sign warning of the curve that the driver so decisively missed. It even managed to speed off but the trail of coolant left a nice trail for the police to follow the 3/4 of a mile it went before it gave up the ghost.

Yes, alcohol was involved. Airbags all deployed and the nose looked like it hit a tree. Or two. But the woman walked, well... staggered away with no injuries.

The crumple zones of the car were impressive in their energy absorbsion. Every door opened and shut without problem and, considering this was in a 35 zone, I assume she wasn't going 75. Maybe 60.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
all newer lightpoles (street lights) are designed to break away, they prevent catastrophic injury/death. its a Federally mandated thing

·
Registered
18,638 Posts
all newer lightpoles (street lights) are designed to break away, they prevent catastrophic injury/death. its a Federally mandated thing
I have oftened wonder about that - how would a pedestrian fare if a light pole came smacking down on them. Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
I have oftened wonder about that - how would a pedestrian fare if a light pole came smacking down on them. Hmmmmm...

happened at the Macy's Thanksgiving day Parade when a float got out of control (wind) knocked into the light pole and sent part of it tumbling to the ground.... guess how the pedestrian fared :)

·
Registered
18,043 Posts
trade-off. probably about as well as the driver would fare if the pole didn't snap off.

either way - ouch.

·
Registered
18,638 Posts
trade-off. probably about as well as the driver would fare if the pole didn't snap off.

either way - ouch.
Well, on the balance of probabilities the pedestrian would not be the root cause of the collision, whereas the driver of the car could be the main factor. Someone must have done a study that determined the probability of a pedestrian getting struck by a falling pole is lower than injuries to a driver.

·
Premium Member
'20 V60, '14 ATS
12,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not necessarily all light poles. In fact, it's all fixed objects (sign poles, light poles, etc) that are within the required clear zone. Depending on the speed of the road, you have to have a clear zone of 10 to 30 feet from the edge of the right lane which is free of things that would kill you. Thus you either have breakaway fixtures or guard rail, concrete barriers, etc.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
When I was younger and used to drive like an idiot I was doing about 80 and was cut off on an expressway. I lost control and hit a light pole with the front quarter of my bumper. Spun me around and I slid backwards through the brush and snow on the side of the road. The pole will always win.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I hope you were compensated for the damage to your landscaping!!

A car went through a wooden phone pole and a 10 inch chestnut tree in front of my house earlier this year. It also mangled a few of my hydrangeas before taking out a sign warning of the curve that the driver so decisively missed. It even managed to speed off but the trail of coolant left a nice trail for the police to follow the 3/4 of a mile it went before it gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
you have to have a clear zone of 10 to 30 feet from the edge of the right lane which is free of things that would kill you.
does that include new jersey drivers? :laugh:

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Yea I saw a guy chillen at 75 driving normal have some momo change lanes into him, just as he swerved his ouside front tire blew and he spun down the highway and knocked over 2 of em across 287. Motha ****a was shaking like a leaf afterwards but fine. A lot less damage then I was excpecting 2.
is English your 1st language?

maybe it's due to it being my 3rd but I have no clue what you tryna say, man

1 - 20 of 22 Posts