VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday morning I moved my car from the drive way to the street, then hours later I tried to go to the store and the car did not want to start. My guess it's the battery. I turn the ignition and it tries to start but does not crank over, I am not car savy so pardon my wording. I once read that sometimes you need distilled water in the battery, if so where do I put it, on the positive side or negative side?Original VW battery.
TIA

·
Registered
219 Posts
Re: Car will not start, maybe it's the battery. 1999 GLS 1.8T original battery (villagod)

The battery is sealed and requires no water. Batteries now-a-days dont need water. Get a buddy to try and jump start you and cross your fingers. After it starts drive around for a while and let it charge, chances are you do not need a new battery.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Re: Car will not start, maybe it's the battery. 1999 GLS 1.8T original battery (CT-passat)

Actually batteries today come in TWO varieties: Those that do not need to add water AKA freedom batteries and those that ALLOW you to add water. Both are very viable options depending on your needs. I persoanlly prefer the "can add water" type simply because you can maintain them and they are hartier (sp). If you're not into that, then the sealed ones might be a better choice for you.
quote:[HR][/HR]The battery is sealed and requires no water. Batteries now-a-days dont need water. [HR][/HR]​
Now back to your original question. A jump start should get you going. However, you have to think about what's happened to cause this condition in the first place. If there is nothing obvious like you left your lights on or didn't driver the car for a month, etc. then I'd suspect you have a weakend (but not toally dead) battery. Any shop can put it on a charger/conditioner for you and see how weak it is. If you live in a mild climate you might get a bit more out of it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Car will not start, maybe it's the battery. 1999 GLS 1.8T original battery (villagod)

I had my car jump started (attached cables for about 15 minutes) and that did the trick. Still not sure how the battery was drained, maybe one of my doors was not shut all the way. I hook up a charger at 2 amps to my battery for about 6 hours but notice that the level indicator did not move, just curious why the charge indicatior did not move to the charge side, but the car started right up this morning.
On my original battery there are six areas where you can put water. Looks like the cells are all under in water.
Thanks everyone for your assistance.

·
Registered
593 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Still not sure how the battery was drained, maybe one of my doors was not shut all the way. [HR][/HR]​
If you normally set your alarm, then there is no way your door could have been opened - hence the alarm wouldn't set.

quote:[HR][/HR]I hook up a charger at 2 amps to my battery for about 6 hours but notice that the level indicator did not move, just curious why the charge indicatior did not move to the charge side, but the car started right up this morning.[HR][/HR]​
If you have a smart charger, and it detected calcification within your battery, it would have entered a decalcification cycle to try and clear up the problem. This cycle plus the recharge (top off) could take 12-24 hrs and is ONLY available in the 2 amp mode. Again, if it's a smart charger, it will also shut off automatically at the end of the cycle.
quote:[HR][/HR]just curious why the charge indicatior did not move to the charge side, but the car started right up this morning.[HR][/HR]​
What you really need to do, to get piece of mind is measure the voltage of your battery with the car off of course. If you battery is slightly weak, you might not be able to notice it. Make sure it's at least 12.8V. Even at 12.4V it will start OK in mild weather, etc, but it does mean it's getting old. Also, do not check the voltage soon after you have driven the car (wait at least 1 hr) or have had the battery charger hooked up. There is a phenomenom (sp) called surface charge that will produce a higher voltage reading than what's actually there.
Good job in checking the water levels

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Car will not start, maybe it's the battery. 1999 GLS 1.8T original battery (BBear)

Thanks to all. You all helped alot.
Message to BBear: When I moved my car from the driveway to the street I did not turn on the alarm. I am going to measure the voltage of my battery, thanks for the great idea.
Again thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts

Don't we have a feature that if we leave the light on, or the door is not closed all the way and light is on, it'll shut off automatically in 45 minutes to prevent battery discharge?
I experimented on my Jetta, left it with dome lights on, and they shut off in about 45 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.