VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a diesel rabbit, i just replaced the starter, cables from the battery, and had my battery checked, so these aren't the problems, when i turn the key in ignition the starter makes a slight attempt at cranking the engine but doesn't and then it'll just make a some whining noise likes its spinning, but when i turn the key back to take it out, it makes like a springing noise, it does this when the lights on my bezel get full brightness, i'm also a complete moron when it comes to electrical stuff, so if you have any idea what this could be or could help if you live locally that would be great, i was thinking it was the starter/ignition switch, but not exactly sure, do you think it could be a short in the electric somewhere, thanks

Modified by 3legrabbit at 3:32 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: car will not start, please help!!! (3legrabbit)

You need to make 100% sure that there is a solid ground connection between the battery and the engine, and the engine and the body of the car. Sometimes the negative battery cable has two leads, a thick one to the driver's side motor mount bracket, and another smaller one that runs to the body. Other times, there is only a thick one to the tranny bracket and a jumper wire between the tranny bracket and the body. Make sure your transmission bracket is tight to the body of the trans. I just worked on a diesel that was missing one of the bolts in the bracket (5-speed) and the other was loose. It caused all manner of problems with the electrical system, including no alternator charging the battery, miss-firing during idle, and the glow plug light flickering on and off while driving. Funny part is it cranked fine. Replaced the bolt and torqued both to specs, end of problems!
You may also have some issues a with the ignition switch supplying enough current to operate the solenoid. You can try using a jumper wire to power the soleniod, or jump it with a screwdriver blade to see if that's the problem. Some folks put a relay under the hood to correct the wimpy ignition problem and run the solenoid on a direct line to the battery through the relay.
Oh, also, are you *REALLY* sure that you got the proper starter? The gasoline starter isn't powerful enough to turn over a diesel!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts