VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I'm finally posting one of my problems here, hoping someone might help . Ok this problem is about my 92 GTi 8V idling too high and not having hard time starting at sometimes. It used to start with first start when cold, and after it was getting warm, it wouldn't turn on again if turned off. I checked the temp sensor and it was bad so I replaced it. It seems there is too much gas inside the engine, could this be a reason to fail to spark? Right now, the car will crank but no sign of starting it seems, I changed the hammer in the distributer and also the cap, since they were old. The car also won't idle right, even if I tie the idle screw to the end, the RPM won't drop, sometimes it is on 8000 but after working a little while it jumps to 2000 and has hard time coming back, I tested with my new Idle Stablizer, but seems that is not the problem. Anyone can help here? Could it be a bad ECU? Or from the cold start valve? or that thing at the end of injectors that takes the extra gas back to the tank? Help helpp....
OK I just changed the tensioner and car hasn't ran since then, the car will crank, there is spark and gas, it seems there is too much gas in the engine. Everytime engine gets flooded and never turns on. What is the problem now. Could it be a bad ECU or a cold start valve? Where is the cold Start Valve or sensor, what about the fuel pressure regulator? Someone please help. I know there should be someone here to helpp pleasee thanks
This is driving me insanee

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Black91Jetta)

Yeah that's what I thought, I checked the timing and fixed it according the bently before posting here. The pulley for the pistons have a dot right and it has to line up with the flesh on the bottomg timing belt cover right? At TDC when the dots align first cylinder has to be at the highest position right? I checked ignition timing and also camshaft and piston timing and it was right. I checked cylinders, lots of gas in there, dried them and tried again and engine flooded again. What might be wrong now
It is starting to piss me off

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: car won't start, 1992 digifant I 8V, engine flooded with gas, ECU problem? Fue ... (zero666cool)

First of all, which CTS did you change, the blue or the black one? The blue one feeds the ECU and when faulty will (most often) cause the problems you are describing.
Something is telling the ECU to dump way to much fuel on the cold start. Being that it is DigiII (or I), it does not have a cold start valve. A faulty MAF could be responsible if it is informing the ECU that the air temp is not changing. If your regulator flap inside the airbox is not working properly, this also would be affecting the MAF negatively.
Another possibility would be a faulty injector if it is only one cylinder that is filling with fuel.

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Re: car won't start, 1992 digifant I 8V, engine flooded with gas, ECU problem? Fue ... (Chia's_MkII)

my friend is having the same rpoblem with his 92 8v gti.... every since he had cams put in and some other work, his car hasnt run right since, if and when it warms up, it will run/drive, but after he cuts it off, it wont turn over again
. we have checked alot of stuff. if you find out what your problem is pls lets us know or if we find out first i will Im you.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Re: car won't start, 1992 digifant I 8V, engine flooded with gas, ECU problem? Fue ... (zero666cool)

You have a Digi 1, the fastest way to diagnose your problems is to read the OBD codes or have them read at a dealer. It will tell you everything you need to know about the management system and how it is functioning. If all that checks out, then look elsewhere.
With Digi 1 you don't mess with the idle screw. The computer makes the adjustments (factory preset).
A situation where fuel is being dumped is often a faulty ECU.

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: car won't start, 1992 digifant I 8V, engine flooded with gas, ECU problem? Fue ... (Chia's_MkII)

Yes it is DIGI 1, and the failed sensor was the blue one, which I replaced. It worked fine for a while, then it started playing again. Finally when I changed the tensioner, it never started again. There is a lot of fuel in all cylinders, I mean a lot, that is the main reason the car is not starting, the car will start if I take the fuel pressure regulator our. I got another fuel pressure regulator from the Junk Yard, but still doesn't work, maybe that fuel pressure regulator was faulty too? It might also be from the ECU too, where is that cold start thingy located at in this car. I think my airbox works properly. I do have another DIGI 1 car, so I can check it with the other one, however, it is automatic. This is driving me insane. The only thing I can think of is the ECU, or maybe problem with fuel pressure regulator or the injectors, but all of them at the same time? Could it be an O2 sensor or any other sensor? This car has about 150000 miles on it. Any helps would be appriciated. thanks to all vortexers http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: car won't start, 1992 digifant I 8V, engine flooded with gas, ECU problem? Fue ... (SimonH)

yeah I think I know how to check the codes, when the lights flash. However the Check light is off, does this still mean that the ECU has encountered a problem? I check the codes by connecting those two ports near the shift nob right? then it starts flashing. I think I'll try that one more time. Oh mass air flow sensor, I've thought about that too. I think I'll check parts like that with my other DIGI 1, that is the simplest way I suppose. But any other help without me parting the other car out will be appriciated. Main problem is: Too much gas in the engine, it gets flooded every time. thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,526 Posts

I had a very similar problem after doing a complete rebuild on my 92 GTI 8v, and what was bad on mine was the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: car won't start, 1992 digifant I 8V, engine flooded wi ... (Black92EightValve)

hmmm FPR, yeah that is one of the possibilities. I think I'll check that and the ecu and MFS, and see what will happen. What if the problem was something else? Is the Blue temp sensor the only sensor for cold start and running lean? Or is there any other sensors involved in this process?
I'll probably try to check the OBD codes again, last time I checked, I was getting all these weird codes, umm maybe I wasn't reading them right. This was befor changing the temp sensor. I'll try again and keep this updated. Hope this gets to somewhere. Are there any other codes besides the one stated in Bently Manual? If so, anyone has any access to them, any links or anything? Thanks again

Modified by zero666cool at 11:38 PM 5-18-2004

Modified by zero666cool at 11:38 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: car won't start, 1992 digifant I 8V, engine flooded wi ... (zero666cool)

umm.. well I replaced the ECU and FPR and MFS, but still nothing, however I just realized that the point that I was setting the time from for the piston on the dampner pully seems to be wrong. Because there is a point on the bottom pulley, which right now is pointing to the flesh on the cover and also the other point on the camshaft pulley is pointing to the right flesh. My question is, do I have to take out the bottom timing plastic cover too and then adjust the timing? Is there any other markings behind the cover on 8V? Because 16Vs timing is outside the cover.

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

CAR IS FIXED NOW. STUPID BLUE TEMP SENSOR
I thought I replaced it, but then it was the black one. I don't know how this happend. First time I checked and found out the problem and replaced it, and never went back to it again. THANKS

·
Registered
417 Posts

which black sensor, if anyone is reading this old post.........i'm having these issues.............i'm encountering all the exact symptoms ....so now i'm wondering what black sensor and where is it located..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts