VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've become aware of carbon build-up and carbon cleaning in my research on whether or not to keep my car. I searched here and read quite a few threads on carbon and I've learned about symptoms people experienced. Can you help with these...
  • From what I gather, there are two types of cleaning: automatic and manual. You would do automatic first, right? (assuming you have to have a mechanic do it)
  • Can you give me any numbers on what an automatic cleaning might cost?
  • The last thread I read discussed doing it before you actually have a serious problem. I'm at 57K with no obvious issues. I don't think I've had this done. Should I do it? Can I just ask for an inspection?
People mentioned walnut and seafoam cleaning. I'm not sure if they were serious.

Thanks, as always.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
There are lot of wrong information on forum "he said, she said type of stuff", "I did this and nothing happened so it must be good" "bla bla bla". Ironically what I'm about to say might just fall into the same bucket :D

Seafoam, "water flush", "Italian tune up" and similar cleaning is just wishful thinking. Sure it might help slow down the carbon deposit but it will not eliminate it. Catch can is a good investment but it also just helps slow down the carbon build up.

The only way to clean carbon build up is to remove intake manifold and clean it manually. Either
1. Manually scrapping carbon with carbon cleaner and tools
2. Walnut blasting.

That's it! No other magic in a spray bottle

I would wait until you start experiencing carbon deposit symptoms. Misfires etc. I would do it as soon as 40k but no later than 80k miles. Cost depends on the shop and the technique they use. I have seen shops charge as low as $350 to $900 for the cleaning job.

PS: never heard of automatic cleaning. Probably some another forum myth ? :)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Automatic cleaning is for cars with Auto tranny...and manual cleaning is for stick shift cars...Right? LOL
Clever.

I heard back from one mechanic. He said carbon cleaning costs around $650.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I plan on doing mine next weekend. I am at 86k now but this is a need to be done, starting with cold start misses on cylinder 4 and some rough cold driving.
I will he walnut blasting them! I’ve done the soak and scrape method on the Tiguan, just time consuming..

The cost of $650 isn’t bad if you think about it. Shop rate of $100+ an hour, when it takes by the book 3.8 hrs to R&I an intake, plus maybe another hr or 2 of walnut blasting..

I will post pictures when done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
I call BS, I've used CRC GDI on my car at 90k miles and immediately noticed a difference in low end torque return along with better throttle response. I bought this used at 71k so it's never been completely new to me. I follow the recommendation and I do it ever oil change and it really maintains the engine performance, initial treatment had alot of sputtering and misfires . The second treatment was less noticeable and so on. I skipped a CRC GDI clean and I feel it now. It's 2020 of course there is a product that can be preventative and affordable. I'd recommend using the sensor port of the throttle pipe and not the sensor on the intake manifold, I about took my fingers off when the fluid ignited. When it says warm up your car with a 15 minute drive it is serious. My car was driven for 3 hours so it was very hot and that's the only time I've had it do that on me. Give it a try before tearing it apart, it's CRC gdi cleaner

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Took my car with over 125K in for some recalls and the dealer said my intake manifold needs to be replaced ($900), and that this would be the ideal opportunity to do a carbon deposit cleaning ($300) as I have some misfires in two cylinders. I think $900 is a ripoff for the manifold, but last time I brought up the carbon cleaning to my mechanic, he said he can't do the walnut blast cleaning. So do I bite the bullet and get it all done at the dealer (and get ripped off) or do I have my mechanic do it along with a solvent based cleaning?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I call BS, I've used CRC GDI on my car at 90k miles and immediately noticed a difference in low end torque return along with better throttle response. I bought this used at 71k so it's never been completely new to me. I follow the recommendation and I do it ever oil change and it really maintains the engine performance, initial treatment had alot of sputtering and misfires . The second treatment was less noticeable and so on. I skipped a CRC GDI clean and I feel it now. It's 2020 of course there is a product that can be preventative and affordable. I'd recommend using the sensor port of the throttle pipe and not the sensor on the intake manifold, I about took my fingers off when the fluid ignited. When it says warm up your car with a 15 minute drive it is serious. My car was driven for 3 hours so it was very hot and that's the only time I've had it do that on me. Give it a try before tearing it apart, it's CRC gdi cleaner
The Only way to truly clean the carbon is manually.
Those chemicals work as a buffer, they will slow it down and if the carbon isn’t bad bad then that’s helpful... if you did the chemicals as routine services you might prolong the intake from coming off a few thousand miles longer..
eventually you will have to pull the intake and soak and scrape or walnut blast..

BG Makes a kit that you can attach thru the TB and pressurize it thru the system, again a small maintenance procedure but not effective..

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Here is the finished product from last Saturday’s fun!
Walnut blasted all the intake valves and some soaking.. car runs way better, way more responsive and gets a bit better mpg...

This is 86.5k.. I just recently bought rbis car after it’s amazing service history, knowing I’d be cleaning the valves..
cylinder 4 was my constant miss.. as you can see they were all a mess

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here is the finished product from last Saturday’s fun!
Walnut blasted all the intake valves and some soaking.. car runs way better, way more responsive and gets a bit better mpg...

This is 86.5k.. I just recently bought rbis car after it’s amazing service history, knowing I’d be cleaning the valves..
cylinder 4 was my constant miss.. as you can see they were all a mess Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's amazing! Excellent photos. So...did you have your own walnut blaster? How much improvement would you say there is with the walnut process vs soaking and manual scrubbing with a wire brush?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
That's amazing! Excellent photos. So...did you have your own walnut blaster? How much improvement would you say there is with the walnut process vs soaking and manual scrubbing with a wire brush?
Yessir, info below.. I felt the time to walnut blast was a lot less then soaking..

Info on the walnut blaster machine/setup would be nice. 034 motorsports sells port cleaning adapter but as expected little overpriced
https://store.034motorsport.com/audi-and-volkswagen-direct-injection-head-port-cleaning-tool.html
I will post up what I used this evening... I used something similar to that and honestly wish I grabbed the 3D printed vacuum attachment ones..

I used this one, with some modifications to make the holes a tad bigger.. it’s just hard to hold this and blast and cycle the blasting on and off with only 2 hands..

RKX Carbon Cleaning Walnut... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T81SGT7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I used this gun and made a few extended tips off some DIY’s that did not work for me lol

Sand Blaster, Sand Blaster Gun... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SXPC2H?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I would have preferred this attachment

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_I...jXcbJsx1e4YgNXLbHn3iWfeH6rqB9KARoCGmAQAvD_BwE

Obviously not this one, but one made for VW. Which they are all over eBay..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Heys guys I replaced my downpipe this past weekend and the cat on the turbo was clean as could be! The CRC didn't clog it at all, I have also been guilty of putting steam into the manifold So that may have also helped as well. Next time I do a CRC cleaning I will take pictures of the valves and post some real results other than how it feels. I'm very in tune with my car so it if is running better I would definitely feel it. I encourage everyone to try the CRC and see the results for yourself, maybe you won't have to waste 500$ if it feels adequate after.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Heys guys I replaced my downpipe this past weekend and the cat on the turbo was clean as could be! The CRC didn't clog it at all, I have also been guilty of putting steam into the manifold So that may have also helped as well. Next time I do a CRC cleaning I will take pictures of the valves and post some real results other than how it feels. I'm very in tune with my car so it if is running better I would definitely feel it. I encourage everyone to try the CRC and see the results for yourself, maybe you won't have to waste 500$ if it feels adequate after.
In all my years of doing this I have not had success with a single chemical.. BG came out with a system that you can run thru the TB, it’s more for preventive maintenance imo, if you did it every other OC, maybe you can stretch out a carbon blasting...
Tried that product as a demo with BG on our Tiguan, failed miserably, needed to pull intake and blast the valves..

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you truly want to keep the carbon buildup out all you need is to run water/meth injection. You will never have to have carbon cleaning done because there will be zero buildup.

I’ve ran a two nozzle setup from snow performance with the boost controller. One nozzle down on the pipe right after the inter cooler and the second in a throttle body spacer.

All the misinformation on this site is kind of ridiculous. Water/meth should be everyone’s first mod that wants a clean good running engine that will never need carbon cleaned.
On top of that when it’s spraying your IAT will drop 40-60 degrees. Egt also drop.
And since it raises the octane you can run higher octane tunes. I have ran the apr stage two 104 octane tune for 30000 miles now with not a single CEL or code. We scoped my engine two months ago and it was practically spotless!!!

I wish people were more informed on these forums. There wouldn’t be much talk of catch cans and carbon buildup if they were .

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
If you truly want to keep the carbon buildup out all you need is to run water/meth injection. You will never have to have carbon cleaning done because there will be zero buildup.

I’ve ran a two nozzle setup from snow performance with the boost controller. One nozzle down on the pipe right after the inter cooler and the second in a throttle body spacer.

All the misinformation on this site is kind of ridiculous. Water/meth should be everyone’s first mod that wants a clean good running engine that will never need carbon cleaned.
On top of that when it’s spraying your IAT will drop 40-60 degrees. Egt also drop.
And since it raises the octane you can run higher octane tunes. I have ran the apr stage two 104 octane tune for 30000 miles now with not a single CEL or code. We scoped my engine two months ago and it was practically spotless!!!

I wish people were more informed on these forums. There wouldn’t be much talk of catch cans and carbon buildup if they were .

100% truth right there!

How was it when you scoped?? Clean or little build up? I hear some have minor build up...

·
Registered
464 Posts
on the 3.6, EGR is "induced" with the variable cam timing. so the smegma hits the intakes in the chamber of the head. Cant this be turned out?

How do you trigger water/meth on a non boosted engine?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts