VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious on what everyone is running (Carbs or FI) on their circle track cars?
I have a 9A 2.0L with single sidedraft 40 Weber, running dirt track.
I'm thinking about other options.
Wondering if it would help me to switch to FI?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
i'm running a 9A/JH w/ a Holley 4412 carb (500cfm). i am running one of the Desert Racer cams by Web.
I have some dyno pulls coming and will hopefully have a dyno sheet posted sometime in November.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
http://webcamshafts.com/
goto 8V SOHC in Automobile section.
we have #211
we had to buy some lash caps to put on top of the valves to shim the lifter buckets up further. there is a decent amount of time needed to put the head together. all of the lash caps need to be ground to fit.
This cam has a smaller base circle. You can still use the stock chips but you need to watch the cam for premature wear.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Re: (Shrttrackr)

Thats a pretty nasty cam. I run the tt288 which is about .040 less lift. I need more cam next year, my new motor is spinning out of the cam's power range. What lash caps did you use? Did you have to use longer valves?
I run a 350 Holley since most the tracks we run are 1/4 mile, though plan on testing out a 500 next year. I love the Holley's, tuning is straight forward, jet changes take just a couple minutes, just have to get rid of the pullover. Its a PL/JH combo.

Modified by 16racer at 12:37 PM 9-25-2008

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Re: (16racer)

here is a vid of the car running on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARxo7udg-lQ
you don't have to use longer valves, you just have to grind the lash caps. we used lash caps from an aircooled motor. i think that empi makes them also....these are for 8mm valves.
we are going to switch our head over to 7mm for this year.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your car sounds good. We put a hydraulic head on for this week, that had been cut some. Boosted the compression up to about 150. I have the 168 Web Cam.
Explain what stock base circle means. Please
We are so glad to be running the mini again for a few big shows here in Texas.
Dwarf car racing sucked.........

Modified by racevw112 at 12:17 AM 9-26-2008

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Re: (racevw112)

The base circle of the cam is the round section opposite of the lobe. So, if a cam company wants more lift out of the same cam blank, then the machine the base circle smaller.
to find the lift of the cam you measure the overall length of the lobe and subtract the base cirle (diameter dimension that is perpendicular to the lobe)
Hey Mike, we are only cranking 6900. i am going to take the car to a chassis dyno within the next month. we'll be able to find the sweet spot for the motor there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
i'm running a 9A/JH w/ a Holley 4412 carb (500cfm). i am running one of the Desert Racer cams by Web.
I have some dyno pulls coming and will hopefully have a dyno sheet posted sometime in November.
you're running an 8v head on a 16v block?? that must be some killer compression.....

·
Registered
930 Posts
The stock FI and the Holley 350 are about even as far as power goes. The little Holley5200/weber 32/36, is slower than the stock setup. WE have the baby weber on the Chumpcar, and it is slower than the stock parts. The good news is that it only revs to about 6300 and the drivers cant kill the engine at that RPM. If i get beat on power than maybe I will find the FI setup for it. It came with a carb and it runs well enough to be top three.
I have; the Chumpcar ABA 2.0, HT head, @ 11-1 comp, Weber 32/36, nice cam, about 110 [email protected] 6000, great torque, MK 3 exhaust,
ITB Golf 1.8 @ 10-1 stock intake, good VW cam , TT header, about 120hp @ 6500.
Roundy ministock with 1.8, 11-1, 268/288 cam, dual downpipe, Holley 350, [email protected] 7000+
All run on AV gas @ 100 octane, all are gapless rings, all are 025 off the deck, all heads are angle milled...

A well setup CIS- FI will out run the Holley 350, but not the 500, esp if you have more cam. or cams. IMHO.
The compression is near 13- 1 with the 16v pistons under the 8V head. I cut off 040 off of the top of them to get it near what Av gas will run. (12-1). Cutting any more off gets thin on the crown and gets close to the top ring.

FWIW if you call Colin @ TT, and tell them that Mike @ "Protech" sent you, maybe they will cut you a deal on their cams. They are alll stock base circle . cam and springs runs about 200$

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Hey Mike,

where do you buy your gapless rings? what brand?

i ran a holley 350 on my motor at another track and it seemed to run way better than my 500 carb. the 500carb is the Holley Circle Track edition...it was not setup properly....too much fuel. it was running too rich.

the 350 ran great....but it has a little work done to it.

we ran the holley 2300 carb on our Lemons Caddy. I would agree that it seemed slower than CIS.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Originally Posted by Shrttrackr

you're running an 8v head on a 16v block?? that must be some killer compression.....
without any machine work, the JH/9A combo is around 14.6:1 compression.
my motor has custom flat top pistons with .010 off the head so it is around 14:1.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi Short,
"Total seal". Does any one else make them?? I have used these for years. No oil in the bores on install. I use .003 PTW #. The gapless wont make much more power than conv, but it will make the same for much longer and allows the bigger PTW clearance.

RE Holley. I have not been able to run one with the power valve, or without shutting off the acc pump, (per book notes and pics).

How goes the Caddy/Lemons?? Lets ssee some pics..
We are running the Chumper @ Roebling Jan 29. MM

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a Holley 350 keith dorton carb, with weber manifold. Stock out of the box changed the power valve to 2.5 and run 68 jets and a holley red fuel pump straight to the carb. I adjusted the float a little lower. Just as you see the fuel on the thread on the site hole I turn it down just a little. I been running it like that for 2 years with no problem at all. I don't have any problems with hesitation or any sputters in the turns. The plugs look perfect also. The only thing I did all season was go up a jet size and back down. I was turning 7500 rpm.

·
Registered
311 Posts
14.6:1 CR?! that's nuts dude!!!! will that work for any 8v head from the mk2's? and what octane gas are you running? would love to see a vid!:beer:

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
the MK2 heads will bolt up and the compression will be the same but i am not sure how the hydraulic lifters will be.

i run 110 or 112 depending if i have the $$ for the 112 that week (VP C12 is around 50.00/ 5 gallons).:banghead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts