VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our 2012 Toyota has a clean Carfax with no accidents, warranty issues, etc. It's been a local Utah car it's whole life. I went to CarMax today to get a quote and they informed me that their report (Auto Check) shows an accident ("minor accident, vehicle damage reported right side" on 01/13/2015 in Grand Island NY). This really isn't possible since it's been in Utah the whole time. Of course based on their report, they offered me quite a bit below market value.

Anyone know what's going on? The CarMax salesman gave me Auto Check's phone number and said to call them, as he couldn't do anything on his end. I'm a bit frustrated since he told me most dealers use Auto Check and I should expect the same result from them.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Are you absolutely positive the previous owner wasn't hiding a little boo boo from you? :confused:

Also, why are you trying to unload it after owning it for less than 5 months?

Isn't it obvious? It was in a minor accident with damage on the right side. :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you absolutely positive the previous owner wasn't hiding a little boo boo from you? :confused:

Also, why are you trying to unload it after owning it for less than 5 months?
I gues I'm not absolutely positive, but really no reason to dought him. The car is in very good condition and shows no sign of having work done.

I'm looking to get something else because it's just really not comfortable for me. If anyone has spent time in a 2012 base RAV4 they know it doesn't favor people with long legs and a desire for lumbar support. I realize I should have spent more time driving it before buying. Oh well.

I'll give auto check a call on Monday and get the scoop.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm looking to get something else because it's just really not comfortable for me. If anyone has spent time in a 2012 base RAV4 they know it doesn't favor people with long legs and a desire for lumbar support.
Are you 90 years old by chance? My friend has a 2012 Rav4 (was just riding shotgun in it about 15 minutes ago...) and the seats are fine.

·
Registered
87,846 Posts
They should have mistake resolution protocol.
It probably was an accident report where the police officer got the vin number wrong- and it's your vehicle's vin.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They should have mistake resolution protocol.
It probably was an accident report where the police officer got the vin number wrong- and it's your vehicle's vin.
This would make sense. Thanks.

And regarding the comfort, not everyone has the same opinion. Just read the thread about the 4Runner as a tow vehicle. Someone chimed in that they don't like the driving position. I felt the same same way about the Tacoma. It's like I'm sitting on the floor.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I gues I'm not absolutely positive, but really no reason to dought him. The car is in very good condition and shows no sign of having work done.

Well it was a minor accident, for all you know a bumper got misaligned, a small scuff was buffed out, pdr was done, etc. I was rear ended and it was reported to insurance, but I declined to get any work done because all that happened was a small scuff on the bumper. Not worth it to pay my deductible. I'm sure car fax will show a minor accident for that, but anyone looking at in person would guess I brushed a shrub or something.

Also, I was in a relatively large accident and my car looks absolutely flawless. No one can tell it had work done. (Even if you're looking.)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Isn't it obvious? It was in a minor accident with damage on the right side. :laugh::laugh:
:laugh:

I'm looking to get something else because it's just really not comfortable for me. If anyone has spent time in a 2012 base RAV4 they know it doesn't favor people with long legs and a desire for lumbar support. I realize I should have spent more time driving it before buying. Oh well.

I hope it truly is an error that you can get resolved. And I've had seat time in a Rav4, wasn't a fan either.

·
Registered
87,846 Posts
The previous owner's alibi checks out. He's on the roster for rec hockey that day and his teammates were able to vouch for him.
Maybe the SUV ran off to NY by itself to try and get into stage and drama?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hopefully AutoCheck is better than Carfax in this regard. I've read some horror stories and Carfax almost always refuses to investigate or fix the errors. My sisters old Mazda 3 was in a minor fender bender and listed correctly as a minor on Autocheck and frame damage on carfax :screwy: Thankfully the new buyer understood this as we provided the police report and repair paperwork. Trade in value was over 5x less than what she sold it for.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
i live currently in NF on a contract employment, small world

i'd ask for the the autocheck and make sure the VIN's are identical... theives can clone VIN's for nefarious intents and purposes

now if you were given a carfax when you bought the car, and the VIN's don't match up, thats fraud

·
Registered
20,588 Posts
There's always data errors. They have a dispute process, and they generally speaking can get the records updated within a day or so.
Yeah, it is also pretty easy to fat finger a vin, even with the check digit.
My mom's last car was registered to the wrong vin for like 5 years, and some other person had a car registered under her vin. Dealership or dmv switched numbers on similar cars.
They old found out when other owner tried to sell his car.
If other owners car had been in an accident and they'd relied on the registration instead of the vin on the dash, she'd have an accident car.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
22,127 Posts
Yeah, it is also pretty easy to fat finger a vin, even with the check digit.
Yup, 17 digits typed quickly. We have multiple checks to make sure that we don't do that in our stores, as it's so easy to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.