VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thread on whether anyone keeps a weapon in their car got me thinking about carjacking, and what would you do in such a situation... Well thing is, I have a few stories of my own, personal experience and those of my friends.
Story 1:
This one happened to me...
A few years ago I used to work shifts, and this one particular night I was working graveyard (11pm to 7am). My usual routine was I would go to my g/f's(now ex, so I'm available ladies...
) place round about 8, then leave her place at about 10:30 to give me enough time to get to work. Now this one night, I got a little side tracked and only left her place at about 10:40, which meant I would have to go the "short"(read "dangerous") route to make it to work on time. It was the middle of winter, so it was damn cold outside, so my windows were pretty misted up.
Anyhows, I get to this one intersection that is pretty infamous for being one of the most dangerous intersections in town, and the traffic light is red. As I'm coming to a full stop, I have a quick look around me to make sure there's no-one around. Now as I am waiting for the robot to change, I notice a car come up behind me with it's brights on. Now I saw this through my rear view mirror and all I can see is the lights. So now I check my drivers side window and I see it's an old Mitsubishi of sorts, I can't remember exactly which model.
As it rolls up behind me the headlights dim, and I'm thinking to myself "that's a strange thing to do...". So, I'm figuring something is not right, so I check the passenger side mirror, and I see a guy get out the rear passenger side door of the car behind me with something wrapped around his hand! Okay, now I know somethingis not right! I look ahead and I see that the light is green, I put it in 1st and I drag it away from them... As I pull away I have one more look in the drivers side mirror to see if they were following me, and I see a second guy had jumped out of their car and was running back to get into their car!
I swear to gosh, my little 1.4l 80-odd horsepower car has never pulled so hard in its entire life!! Their lights just got dimmer and dimmer the more I pushed my car, and gave up after only a few seconds of the chase... Seriously, the last part of my journey to work that should have taken me about 10 minutes, only took me 5! When I got out of the car, I was shaking slightly, and the air was heavy with the smell of clutch and brakes... I never saw them again that night, and never since, and I'm glad!
Story 2:
About a year ago, my friend had just bought a MINT low mileage 1998 Jetta VR6 from a 74yr old man who kept it in a garage for most of its life as he lived out of town. He was on his way home from his g/f's place, driving along some farm roads. A car came up behind him and started to ride his bumper. Now the roads are pretty bad, and because my friend just got the car, he was taking it easy. the car behind could have passed, but just stayed on his bumper till they cam close to a traffic light...
As they approached the traffic light, the car zoomed past him and cut him off, forcing him to stop. Two guys jumped out with guns in their hands, but before they could do anything, my friend was off, going around their car and planting it across the intersection! The two guys jumped back in the car, which my friend identified as a old Nissan Sentra, and tried to give chase, but only after firing two shots at my friends car... Luckily, they didn't hit anything, and my friend then took every single side road he knew to lose them, and unlike the 1.8t, against an old Sentra my buddy's VR6 COULD NOT lose!!
Finally, he parked his car outside a police station, ran inside and reported it. Unfortunately, by the time the cops got around to where this took place, the Sentra was long gone... As with me, he never saw those guys again...
Story 3:
My friends cousin was diving down the same farm road as my friend, but this happened about 3 or 4 years ago. He was coming the the same intersection as well, but this time there was no car behind him... As he stood at the red light, three guys jumped out of the bush, one with a pistol, one with a shotgun, and another seemingly unarmed. When he saw them, they were almost by his car, but he just put his foot down and sped off. Again, the one guy with the pistol squeezed off a few shots, but didn't hit anything...
Now this is where the story turns around... My buddy then proceeds to do a U-turn, stop the car, get out and pull his gun out. He then starts shooting away at them, at which point they just scatter! they don't even bother to fire back, they just ran. He didn't hit any of them, but luckily he was near to where his buddies stay. Now let me put this into perspective for you, his friends aren't gangsters or criminals, they're just normal guys who happen to like a good fight... dirtier the better... Well, he gathers a little "posse" and they set off looking for these guys. It's only been about five minutes since he fired the last shot, but they are nowhere to be found...
They proceed to drive around for the next hour or so looking for these guys, giving many a lonely straggler on the side of the road a very hard time, but ultimately never find the guys they were looking for...
And that is it... Anyone else have any similar type things happen to them? How did/would you handle it? Post up you stories and win a Prize!!!
Cheers

P.S. - I was lieing about the prize...

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (ironside_a)

Quote, originally posted by ironside_a »
Suggestion: Maybe avoid that intersection?

But seriously now, I avoid the intersection where mine occured, but my buddies live near to the intersection where theirs took place, so they can't really avoid it... but, they are better prepared now.

· Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (WhitePoloCT)

Some guys tried to carjack me back when I was living in Orlando, back in the early 90's when carjacking tourists seemed to be the new in thing in Florida. Was just after sundown, picked up the wife from work and was headed home, taking a short cut, a road that ran behind International Drive, at the time nothing but swampy land on either side (though by now it's probably chock full of hotels and condos.) Come around a corner, and see three guys standing in the middle of the road, pistols held in the classic gangsta style, hand sideways instead of upright, spotting the oncoming headlights, figuring us for lost tourists in a rental car.

Did I mention we were in a 78 Dodge Power Wagon with huge mud tires, little to no mufflers, and enough power under my right foot to smoke all four of those tires when i stood on it?
They rapidly unassed the road as the big V8 wailed, leaving bits (ok, Large bits, these were mud tires) of rubber spraying over them, along with the piquant boquet of tire smoke and incomplety burned hydrocarbons. One of them did get a shot off, which just added more character to the rusty old Dodge. I miss that truck sometimes.

· Registered
921 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (Snowdog)

Quote, originally posted by Snowdog »
Some guys tried to carjack me back when I was living in Orlando, back in the early 90's when carjacking tourists seemed to be the new in thing in Florida. Was just after sundown, picked up the wife from work and was headed home, taking a short cut, a road that ran behind International Drive, at the time nothing but swampy land on either side (though by now it's probably chock full of hotels and condos.) Come around a corner, and see three guys standing in the middle of the road, pistols held in the classic gangsta style, hand sideways instead of upright, spotting the oncoming headlights, figuring us for lost tourists in a rental car.

Did I mention we were in a 78 Dodge Power Wagon with huge mud tires, little to no mufflers, and enough power under my right foot to smoke all four of those tires when i stood on it?
They rapidly unassed the road as the big V8 wailed, leaving bits (ok, Large bits, these were mud tires) of rubber spraying over them, along with the piquant boquet of tire smoke and incomplety burned hydrocarbons. One of them did get a shot off, which just added more character to the rusty old Dodge. I miss that truck sometimes.

nice!
I would of love run them the fark over!
you know those rejects can't hit a moving target with their gangsta wannabe sidways pistol crap.

· Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
Damn.
I'm thinking I'd just let the guys take it once guns got involved. I pay my car insurance for reasons such as that.

Thats what i say.....I would never say anything or attempt to fight someone with a gun, they can have the car!

· Registered
4,515 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (Kapoosh1)

Quote, originally posted by Kapoosh1 »

Thats what i say.....I would never say anything or attempt to fight someone with a gun, they can have the car!

yeah, i'de let those suckers pay the grand a month it takes to keep this A4 on the road

· Registered
6,077 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (Kapoosh1)

I had a guy try to rob me in the parking lot of a hotel once. I was driving a Ford Dually and pulling a race-car trailer. He walked up behind me and demanded money and the keys. I had my .45 laying on the seat. I grabbed it, spun around and laid the barrel right on his nose. Nothing says NO better than a M1911....
Carl Lewis didn't have sh*t on that guy as he ran away. Would I have shot him? Can't say...! If I had seen a gun, I probably would have popped him.

· Registered
6,087 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (merckx56)

Quote, originally posted by merckx56 »
I had a guy try to rob me in the parking lot of a hotel once. I was driving a Ford Dually and pulling a race-car trailer. He walked up behind me and demanded money and the keys. I had my .45 laying on the seat. I grabbed it, spun around and laid the barrel right on his nose. Nothing says NO better than a M1911....
Carl Lewis didn't have sh*t on that guy as he ran away. Would I have shot him? Can't say...! If I had seen a gun, I probably would have popped him.

That's awesome. I never got carjacked, but I did go to college in Newark, NJ for many years (undergrad and masters), which is known to be high crime area. Everytime I drove home at night many times and I was paranoid whenever I was the only one at a traffic light.

· Registered
3,023 Posts

A guy from my Alma Mater, had a Land Cruiser (Any Toyota is a thief magnet, my 86'cruiser was stolen 2 weeks ago), and at the popular but dangerous Venezuela Square in Caracas there was light traffic, a guy in a motorcycle blocked his way and demanded he give up his car...
That didn't happen... This dude proceeded to run over the motorcycle and the thug with his Cruiser (31" tires, raised and the such...), after that the thug dragged himself away, the dude backed up again over his bike, and gave him a big F... You... Waived goodbye, and left...
Only in Caracas...

· Registered
6,087 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (SeatIbiza1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by SeatIbiza1.8T »
A guy from my Alma Mater, had a Land Cruiser (Any Toyota is a thief magnet, my 86'cruiser was stolen 2 weeks ago), and at the popular but dangerous Venezuela Square in Caracas there was light traffic, a guy in a motorcycle blocked his way and demanded he give up his car...
That didn't happen... This dude proceeded to run over the motorcycle and the thug with his Cruiser (31" tires, raised and the such...), after that the thug dragged himself away, the dude backed up again over his bike, and gave him a big F... You... Waived goodbye, and left...
Only in Caracas...

I love it when bad guys get what they deserve. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (SinisterMind)

Anyone ever tell you that you have a sinister mind?

· Registered
11,635 Posts

In Brazil, local authorities encourage drivers to make rolling stops at red lights after dark (no need to mention stop signs -- they're largely ignored 24/7), due to risk or carjacking or kidnapping.

· Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: Carjacking...(Warning: long) (SeatIbiza1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by SeatIbiza1.8T »

He totally should have picked the scooter up off the ground and tossed it in the back. Now that would be a big EFF YOO.

· Registered
9,378 Posts

WhitePoloCT, you live in South Africa right? I remember reading a C&D article from a few years ago that listed SA as having the most frequent carjacking cases in the world. The article also showed some neat contraptions made to thwart carjacking attempts, including a sharp metal bar that swings out from under the side skirts via a high-power hydrolic system that takes out the bastids legs

· Registered
1,240 Posts

This is a good one, told to me by my soon-to-be brother in law.
He attended college in the Baltimore area, and liked to drive his 1991 or 92 GMC 1500 454SS around the backroads, and basically just get lost in the boonies. So here's this nice-looking Jewish kid driving along in his hot rod truck and abercrobie hoodie and gym shorts and realizes he's low on gas. He pulls into the next gas station and sees a group of bikers loitering near the mini-mart. Now this is around 8:30 at night and its basically dusk, and the gas station is deserted save for these unsavory characters. I believe he had just come back from the firing range, so he had his CZ75B 9mm in it's case behind the seat. Well, just as he starts pumping the assumed leader of the group approaches him. This guy looked pretty badass. Tattered leathers, bandana, skuzzy hair, scars, the works. He's holding a steak knife (ghetto I know, I would have expected at least a pocket knife or boxcutter) and says:
Biker: Nice truck.
J: Thanks.
B (while holding the knife menacingly close to the truck's tire): What would you do if I f*cked it up?
J: I'd grab my cellphone and call the police I guess.
(snickers from the biker gang)
B (while moving ever closer): Oh yeah, well what if I f*cked you up?
J (while removing the pump from the truck and inching towards the truck's front door): Ummm, uhhhhh...
Quickly pulling out his piece and aiming for the biker's nose, he replied "Then I guess I'd have to f*ck you up, now back the f*ck off and leave me alone". At this point the biker was stunned, and J hopped in the truck and tore ass back to campus. He said that the biker's face was totally priceless when he pulled out the piece. He was just an unassuming college kid whom they totally underestimated. The scary part was that the magazine wasnt even in the gun, so if the guy had pushed him further and called his bluff he would have definitely been in trouble. Needless to say, his backroad jaunts were fewer and further between from then on...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.