VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
18,689 Posts
Not a huge surprise as the dealers are wising up that the internet has been making things more competitive and they want to do everything to make it less competitive.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
Media is an unpaid PR department. That's all it is. It is a mutually beneficial way to get the word out on new cars and help carmakers sell cars.

There's also been a significant backsliding of competitiveness for the consumer in the last 5 years. TrueCar used to be a good tool for people in finding good deals. Not anymore. And dealers are using the internet more effectively without significant reform to their business practices.

·
Registered
89,789 Posts
I was being all doom and gloom before...
At least it's Carmax and not Carvana or Zoom.
Carmax isn't perfect.. but they manage to keep a fairly good reputation due to actual customer service and warranty support, and do seem to actually inspect their cars before selling them (unlike Carvana).

·
Registered
89,789 Posts
The same thing happened with TrueCar a few years back.
I used to use cars.com for vehicle specs.
Then at one point they just dumped all that text.
I am not sure why.. because you would think just basic text on a website would require very little server storage space.
Or maybe they had too much traffic for just spec info?
I just checked their history and don't see an obvious acquisition at that time.
Maybe it was just something done at one point to make it "more efficient" if they did have space concerns.
Sucks that we lost such an easy source for basic cars specs though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts