VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
17' Raptor '18 4Runner '15 S3
18,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car started acting up back in December. It basically wouldn't go into any gear. I figured it was the hydraulic system since I had installed a new Spec Stage 2+ clutch less than a month before. So I installed a new Master and Slave cylinder and the car would still not go into gear. I had it towed to a local VW/Audi shop. They told me to go ahead and order a new clutch because this one was done. Spec wanted to see pics before they would warranty it. I thought no way am I ordering another Spec so I ordered a South Bend clutch. I picked my car up from the shop yesterday and they gave me what was left of my old clutch.
Here's what I got.

Anyone know what could have happened? The clutch surface looks ok, not like it was abused. But for some reason that one side decided to explode.
I'm sending these pics to Spec.. they better be sending me my money back.

· Registered
3,913 Posts
Re: Carnage Pics. Spec Clutch (inivid1.8t)

I guess I've been quite lucky when it comes to purchasing Spec stuff. The only bad experience that I've had is that the ring gear for the starter that came with my LWFW was shaped incorrectly and it made a horrible noise on startup for the first few days until it wore in.
I hope they warranty that.

· Registered
2,649 Posts
after mine blew up and i got a new one under warrenty it was great again but after 5,000 miles it started to slip.. a stage3+ with 350whp should not be slipping shifting hard from 3rd to 4th gear..
anyway, if i were to do it again i'd get a southbend..
the stock evo clutch is awful as well, so nobody should consider it

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Re: (V84LNCH)

Whats up with that clutch is it organic on one side, paddle type on the other? Seems like the heat would roast one side but not the other?
my paddle type spec has been holding up pretty good. 25K miles plenty of launches.

· Registered
439 Posts
Re: (enginerd)

Quote, originally posted by enginerd »
Whats up with that clutch is it organic on one side, paddle type on the other? Seems like the heat would roast one side but not the other?
my paddle type spec has been holding up pretty good. 25K miles plenty of launches.

If your racing ( espec drag racing ) and need to slip the clutch alot and create heat go with a stage 5 spec sintar disk . Sam's has this in his car and after running the car for a year the disk still looks like new( from what he told me ) . The only thing is its unsprung and makes alittle noise when engaged .
Bob.G

· Registered
1,205 Posts

Damn
I know AVR ran 450whp mk4 1,8T on their for the intire summer with a 11.24 @129mph under their belt .
Thats why i got this Spec stage 3 6puck after my sachs stage 3 broke .

BUT THIS MAKES STOMACHE TURN

Damn.... i wanna have the best clutch because thei cost 900$ in sweden

· Registered
8,080 Posts
Re: (foffa2002)

ive always heard to steeer away from SPEC cluthes due to their unreliability, and quick detereoration. But this is just silly, 1 month lol.
Eventually when my clutch goes, i will be quick to cross them off my list. Seems like Southbend is the way to go.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Re: (foffa2002)

it just seems like a bad match. one side is real tough, the other side is delicate. So you romp on the thing, and it grabs because of the pucks on one side, meanwhile your roasting the other side.
Sams generated so much heat his flywheel came off

· Registered
9,997 Posts

SPEC is local to me, and I will also say stay away. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
I've actually had a friend have an artery in his leg severed when a SPEC clutch came apart in a Supra while on the dyno. SPEC will also tell you that you'll need a higher stage everytime you complain that what they originally sold you and was told would hold... didn't hold the power. I swear you'll ask them for the highest clamping force they have and they will sell you a STAGE IV or something. That slips at 300ft lbs and they will turn around and tell you they now have a STAGE XI or something and you should have gone with that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.