VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few minutes ago, I received this email from VW stating that AT&T will be shutting off their 3G network in February 2022. This is what CarNet uses in the 2019 and earlier MY.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,693 Posts
MY20 went to LTE modules that by default use Verizon but you can opt to use T-Mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,693 Posts
SOL per the email. Carriers are shutting off 3G service.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,693 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,693 Posts
It doesn’t appear so.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,693 Posts
Reached out to VW and they said they are working on alternative options and will reach out when more info becomes available.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,693 Posts
All to save a buck upfront to lose revenue on the backend

Reactions: jonese

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For me it's not a huge issue. CarNet never worked right from day 1 in my Tiguan. The dealership even had it for 6 weeks to replace the CarNet module and other troubleshooting; it was still having issues after that. That was when I had them cancel my service and give me a refund.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
256 Posts
I had CarNet issues as well. It worked for a few days after I connected, and then it was flakey.
I contacted CarNet and took the car to the dealer, they pulled the fuse for the module...

When nothing worked (to make it stable), I dug around online and found a thread that said you should deleted the connection in the app, and then reconnect.
I had tried deleting the app, and re-installing, with no change in flakey operation.

I followed the guidance from that thread, deleted the connection to the car IN THE APP, reconnected and it has worked flawlessly since.

Bob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had CarNet issues as well. It worked for a few days after I connected, and then it was flakey.
I contacted CarNet and took the car to the dealer, they pulled the fuse for the module...

When nothing worked (to make it stable), I dug around online and found a thread that said you should deleted the connection in the app, and then reconnect.
I had tried deleting the app, and re-installing, with no change in flakey operation.

I followed the guidance from that thread, deleted the connection to the car IN THE APP, reconnected and it has worked flawlessly since.

Bob.
I love your Tiguan, Bob! The LED headlights are stunning, that is definitely going to be a must have on my next VW!

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
256 Posts
I love your Tiguan, Bob! The LED headlights are stunning, that is definitely going to be a must have on my next VW!
Heh, Thanks :)

I was actually looking for something for my wife (we bought a 2020 Outback Onyx for her last January).
She wanted a few things the Outback didn't have.
When I sold my 1995 Mitsubishi Spyder VR4, I started a search for something for her.
The Atlantic Blue was a color that wasn't offered by any other SUV sellers and I really loved it.
I searched high and low for one, missed out on several as they were selling fast (and in short supply)

I found this one, online, in Missouri and contacted the dealer.
I put a deposit on it, and 4 days later it was in my driveway (had it transported, $750)

First "new" car I've had since 1992....

Bob.

She "opted" not to trade, as her Outback fit her "need for speed (260+hp vs 184).
I didn't mind.

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SEL R-Line
64 Posts
I notice Carnet is hit or miss remote starting my 22 Tiguan, sometimes it works normal, other times it won't start the car due to an "engine error" no lights when I get in and start my car normally. Will likely pop over to the dealer and see if they can pull anything of concern from a reader. Will try in the morning and see if it happens again, its a solid 50/50 split on if it'll work or not.

·
Registered
2021 Tiguan SE R Line Black
93 Posts
The 2020, 2021 and 2022 all use 4G LTE and are safe for the foreseeable future. I'm just upset that VW knew 3G was going away but still continued the install entertainment units that were incapable of being upgraded and did this up to 2019. I have seen posts from people who said their "Car-Net module" had to be replaced but I'm assuming you would need the latest MOB to be compatible with 4G. In other words, replacing the entire head unit.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
What about the b2b warranty if car net doesn’t work any longer I guess VW has to do something.
Having something like this go out of service during the warranty period is unacceptable imho.
I don’t use it and really wouldn’t bring mine in for an upgrade, but folks who paid a lot on a new car should raise hell at the dealership if all of the sudden it doesn’t work any longer….

1 - 20 of 32 Posts