VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm finally putting together a build thread for my 09 A3 Quattro. This likely will be a fairly slow build thread, but I'll keep it updated as progress is made.

Picked this up a little over a year ago, January of 2015 to replace the 98 A4 1.8t Quattro I had prior.

Had been looking for about 6 months before I finally found this car. Initially I had been looking for a 2.0T Quattro Manual, but those are practically non existent (found 2 in the entire country in the 6 months I was looking, one was way too expensive, the other was asking high bluebook for a salvage titled car, so neither was an option). This car popped up, and while it is a DSG, it was simply one of those "Right Car" moments. Single owner, dealer maintained, no door dings, S-Line, Titanium Package, and the right color. Owner was only selling it because he had ordered a new S3 and was about to take delivery.

when I was picking the car up (actually drove the previous owner over to Audi to take delivery of his new S3, that's a super nice car)

Figured I should keep a list of the mods done in the first post

Engine
APR Stage 1 (Page 1): Link to product
GFB DV+ Diverter Valve (Page 2): Link to product
R8 Coilpacks (Page 2): Link to product
Neuspeed P-Flo Intake (Page 2): Link to product
Techtonics Tuning 3" Aluminized Downpipe w/ 200 Cell Cat. (Page 2): Link to product

Transmission
APR DSG Software (Page 3): Link to product

Electrical
Bosch S5 Premium Power Battery (Page 2): Link to product

Suspension
WRD Coilovers (Page 1): Link to product
034Motorsport Rear Swaybar (Page 1): Link to product

Brakes
Hawk HPS Front Pads (Page 2): Link to product
Hawk HPS Rear Pads (Page 2): Link to product
ATE Type 200 Brake Fluid (Page 2): Link to product

Interior
Valentine 1 Installed (Page 1): Link to product
Seats that may be from a new A3 Cabriolet S-Line (Page 1)

Maintenance
Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium w/ MANN Filter: Link to product
Change To Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200: (Page 2): Link to product
Liqui Moly Cera Tec: (Page 2): Link to product

Cleaning Products
Sonax Engine Cleaner (Page 2): Link to product

Picking up:

And safely tucked away at home

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Nice car, looking forward to the progress!

Also, as far as I know, Audi never offered the A3 with Quattro and a manual transmission regardless of year or engine.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nice pickup. And Tbomb is correct, no A3 quattro manual ever offered here. A conversion is possible, though.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice car, looking forward to the progress!

Also, as far as I know, Audi never offered the A3 with Quattro and a manual transmission regardless of year or engine.
Nice pickup. And Tbomb is correct, no A3 quattro manual ever offered here. A conversion is possible, though.
Yeah, I had heard that, but, to my knowledge neither was a conversion (one was actually for sale here in the classifieds, and there was quite a bit of surprise of it existing, but I don't remember any mention of it being a conversion). I figured the one that ended up being salvaged was a typo, but they verified with me that it was both a manual and quattro. But once I found out it was salvaged I didn't go any further. Either way, while I still miss a manual from time to time, have been very happy with this car.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want your headlights :sly:

Previous owner was actually rather surprised when he found out that HID's were an option on this car. Apparently when he ordered it he told them he wanted it with everything but navigation. But, it doesn't have the lighting/convenience package either, so no HID's and no Homelink. Would like to add these someday, but not super high on the priority list.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I want your headlights :sly:

Previous owner was actually rather surprised when he found out that HID's were an option on this car. Apparently when he ordered it he told them he wanted it with everything but navigation. But, it doesn't have the lighting/convenience package either, so no HID's and no Homelink. Would like to add these someday, but not super high on the priority list.
So, what is on the priority list? :popcorn:

If you end up adding HID's down the road, I would encourage you to peruse eBay.de and see if you can find some good condition used Euro-spec lights, as they don't have the orange reflector in the corner. Just a suggestion, of course. :thumbup:

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, what is on the priority list? :popcorn:

If you end up adding HID's down the road, I would encourage you to peruse eBay.de and see if you can find some good condition used Euro-spec lights, as they don't have the orange reflector in the corner. Just a suggestion, of course. :thumbup:
The Euro-spec ones are exactly what I want :beer:

Performance mods top the priority list (particularly handling, under-steer is killing me out at the auto-x), aesthetics are much lower.

However, this was the first thing done the day after I got the car home was hardwire the V1 (apparently focused on the wrong spot when taking the pic)

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not long after getting the car, went APR stage 1 :thumbup:

As most of you know, this changes the world on how the motor performs and responds. One of these days I plan to go K04, but that is probably still a ways out

·
Registered
754 Posts
Welcome and nice find! Was a typo for sure. That and they probably didn't know what they were talking about. Always stay away from salvaged titles. Most of the time the car has been poorly repaired. How do you like the V1 positioned under the mirror? I put mine off to the passenger side. Mostly to be out of a officers view. Both times I as pulled over(once for speeding) the officer didn't mention/see the V1. I have a feeling if he had he would have given me a ticket.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome and nice find! Was a typo for sure. That and they probably didn't know what they were talking about. Always stay away from salvaged titles. Most of the time the car has been poorly repaired. How do you like the V1 positioned under the mirror? I put mine off to the passenger side. Mostly to be out of a officers view. Both times I as pulled over(once for speeding) the officer didn't mention/see the V1. I have a feeling if he had he would have given me a ticket.
My previous A4 was a salvage title car, but I picked it up for a steal. No way I would have considered one going for high bluebook value, and even if it was a good deal, it was way out in Mississippi, would only even consider one if I could have put it up on a rack to inspect every inch of it it myself. The only reason I tend to believe them about what it was is the shop selling it was the company that repaired all the damage (they purchase it out of texas at auction and handled the repairs). They gave me an extensive list of the repairs done and invited me to come check it out in person. That being said, I didn't inspect either car in person, so I'm not going to argue that they very well may have been incorrect :beer:

I really like having the V1 positioned there. I have some concerns with it's rear-ward sensitivity if it's positioned too high (particularly with the sloping roofline of the A3). Below the mirror like this it has a nice line of sight out the back. Never had an officer mention anything about it or give me any trouble because of it and I've been running a V1 with similar mounting as long as I've been driving.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Look forward to following your build- congrats!
I have my V1 tucked up at the passenger side, just below the visor, and have the 'remote display' mounted in front/center of the instrument cluster.
For the record, the V1 has paid for itself at least 3 times ;)

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look forward to following your build- congrats!
I have my V1 tucked up at the passenger side, just below the visor, and have the 'remote display' mounted in front/center of the instrument cluster.
For the record, the V1 has paid for itself at least 3 times ;)
Thanks :). I've been really happy with the car. I've considered the remote display, but never really felt there would have been any benefit for me. Did you do it for the line of site on the display? or because you didn't want people behind you to see the light?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thanks :). I've been really happy with the car. I've considered the remote display, but never really felt there would have been any benefit for me. Did you do it for the line of site on the display? or because you didn't want people behind you to see the light?
I did it for 'line of sight', I'd rather not look away and up- I prefer to glance down (I fly for a living, I'm sure that has something to do with it). Personal preference.
Not sure anyone would see the red lights through the tint ;)

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, had some fun with the car out at the auto-x

The Stock seats, while comfortable, were killing me in the corners. No real bolstering and with the leather, just end up sliding back and forth in the seat, so I started looking for a replacement. While I would have loved some fixed back race seats, one's that would have been appropriate style wise in the car (Yes, I know I said style is not a priority, but this is a really nice car, so I wanted things to at least look decent in it) were way out of my budget. Came across a deal on these seats, and felt they would fit in perfectly, and do a way better job holding me in

And installed, need to get a better photo

Still need to figure out the wiring to get these integrated with the car if anyone has any information on this, would be helpful :beer:

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did it for 'line of sight', I'd rather not look away and up- I prefer to glance down (I fly for a living, I'm sure that has something to do with it). Personal preference.
Not sure anyone would see the red lights through the tint ;)
If I was shifted off to the right of the mirror, i think I would probably look at doing that as I could see where that would be an issue. With it under the mirror, I don't even have to take my eyes off the road to see what it is alerting me to, so not sure I would have an advantage. Totally agree with you on personal preference there :beer:

Lol, yeah, I've been considering getting some tint done before this summer, but I'll be doing something very light if I do

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Details on seats?
What details were you interested in?
I don't actually know exactly what they came out of, best I can figure is they may have come out of an A5 Cabriolet S-Line, as the only picture I could find of this seat installed in a car was one of those. The guy I got them from was going to put them in a Chevelle...

They are heated with powered lumbar, but the rest of the adjustments are manual.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts