·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Next up was some suspension work. A high end kit wasn't currently in the budget, so got a WRD coilover kit. While this kit was designed for street use, I've run it on one track day so far and most of the auto-x season. Definitely improved handling on the car and has held up just fine to the abuse.

A link for anyone interested in the kit: http://www.vdubwarehouse.com/mm5/me...warehouse&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=100A5690HD

Lowered down on the kit

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Almost forgot about this, when getting ready for Fastivus last year, swapped the brake pads out with Hawk HPS pads and switched to Ate Type 200 brake fluid so the car would be safe for the track day.

On top of being able to handle the abuse of the track day, the Hawk pads have significantly better initial bite.
The Type 200 brake fluid has a much higher boiling point than the standard brake fluid. Didn't have any issues with it boiling during the track day.

Front Pads: http://www.vdubwarehouse.com/mm5/me...bwarehouse&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HB543F760
Rear Pads: http://www.vdubwarehouse.com/mm5/me...bwarehouse&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HB544F628
Fluid: http://www.vdubwarehouse.com/mm5/me...vdubwarehouse&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=706202

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Driving the other day, noticed a lack of power, and what sounded like a boost leak. Gave it a bit of gas while listening closely and on came the check engine light.

Scanned it, and came up with the following

000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached - MIL ON

Put the car up on the rack and started going over everything. Boost hoses all looked good, but there was a bit of an oil film on the diverter valve. Pulled it out, and sure enough, had a tear in the diaphragm.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

So, time to upgrade to the GFB DV+ Diverter Valve. This eliminates the diaphram and other plastic parts and replaces them with metal components using a piston style valve, but still uses the factory solenoid for fast reaction.
Link to product

Assembly is simple, basically pull the old components off the solenoid, and replace with the GFB parts.
Once assembled, you get this

And everything bolted back up in the car

Power is back, engine response is smooth (I would say the boost control is smoother and more accurate than it was before). Simple and effective fix/upgrade. :thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Loving the progress on your build!
How are you enjoying your WRD coils for day to day driving? Still comfy?
How much stiffer from stock?
I can't decide on the website between those and spending a bit more for the ST...👍

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Loving the progress on your build!
How are you enjoying your WRD coils for day to day driving? Still comfy?
How much stiffer from stock?
I can't decide on the website between those and spending a bit more for the ST...👍

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Very happy with the WRD coils. The ride is very good for a daily and no real change in how they perform from the time I got them (and that's with daily use, a good number of spirited drives, a track day, and a good number of auto-x events). As far as how much stiffer they are than stock, that's hard to really quantify. I felt the stock suspension was far too "squishy" for my taste. These are firmer than stock, but not harsh or bouncy. Just a nice, controlled ride.

As far as the decision between them and ST's, it really depends on what your doing with the car. For daily driving, the WRD's are great. On the auto-x and track days, the WRD's actually did a lot better than I expected, but this is where you'll really see the performance advantages of the ST's. There's just more technology inside the shocks on the ST's.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
nice build so far, you have any video from the gopro? also thanks for posting links on the products youre installing.
Got a bunch, I need to organize my youtube channel a bit better to make it easier to sort through my different uploads. Also need to upload from my last auto-x event (got a real GoPro suction cup instead of the cheaper one I had originally, so played around with some different mounting positions that I wasn't comfortable doing with the cheaper mount)

You can go through the channel to view them all, but here's a couple direct links

Auto-x: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I2aXiFHA6I
Auto-x: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFomJXMyIGw
Auto-x: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0WDPsmsO9o
Fastivus Track day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZuVUjurgpY

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Still need to catch up with the upgrades I did before starting this build thread. The day after doing the APR stage 1 flash, had a coilpack die. So, decided to take the opertunity and upgrade to the R8 coilpacks.

These were from Audi, which we can still get if you really want them, but primarily use the Denso ones as they are a better deal and just as good.
Link to product

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
So I know I said Handling and suspension was going to be my initial focus, but got a deal on a downpipe (will be updating with that when I get it installed), so I needed an intake in order to go to APR Stage 2 Software.

Got a Neuspeed P-Flo to install. For those in California, the Neuspeed intake is CARB legal, so no issues with smogging your car.

Link to product for cars WITH Air Pumps
Link to product for cars WITHOUT Air Pumps

For those that don't want to read through the whole thing, I'll give a quick summery here.

Initial Impressions: The overall quality of the product is very good. The piping has a nice wrinkle finish to it, in a nice red color that isn't too bright. It actually goes quite well with the red of the red-top coilpacks. I went with the oiled filter so I can just clean and re-oil it instead of replacing, though they do have a dry filter option for those who don't like oiled filters. The install instructions are very clear, with photo's documenting pretty much every step.

Fitment: Everything fit perfectly. for mounting, the intake pops into one of the factory grommets, then includes a rubber isolator that screws into the location that the factory intake bolted into, and then uses a nut so the new intake secures to the isolator. The silicon boot that connects the intake pipe to the MAF was snug on both sides and properly sized hose clamps were included.

Performance: First thing you notice when driving the car is the sound. When your just cruising, there's no real change, but as soon as you dip into the throttle you can really hear the motor pulling air in. And when you lift off the throttle, you get the satisfying sound of the DV dumping boost pressure (especially if your heavy on the throttle in the mid rpm range). Power wise, you get a slightly stronger pull through the mid range when the turbo is really working, and it caries the power a bit better through the higher rpm's. So to me, this intake was nothing but positives :thumbup:

Box Showed up

Everything was well packed

So all ready to Install. I considered doing an install DIY, however the Neuspeed instructions are so detailed, you really won't need anything more. Took me a touch under 30 minutes from start to finish (that included taking some time to find my missing torx).

How everything was to start

Getting Into it

Airbox out of the car

All ready for the Neuspeed Intake to be installed

And shortly after, it's in!

First off, as is expected with Neuspeed, the quality of everything is excellent, and fitment was perfect.

Took the car out for a spin, and under throttle, you get a nice amount of additional engine sound, and when you lift, you can really hear the diverter valve releasing the boost pressure. Under normal driving though, no extra noise.

On the performance side, Power feels a little fuller throughout the rev range, though it's particularly noticeable up in the higher rpm's.

Put together a little video so you can hear the difference between the stock intake and the P-Flo.

[video=youtube;4gveFuK7LjY?rel=0]https://www.youtube.com/embed/4gveFuK7LjY?rel=0[/video]

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
So, not the most exciting update. Wednesday drove the car home, worked perfectly. thurseday morning, wouldn't start, dead battery. Threw the charger on it to jump it, drove it for a bit, turned it off and tried to start immediately, nothing. Definitely a bad battery. Was strange that it had given zero warning of getting weak.

So, ordered up a Bosch replacement. Would have liked to have gone with their S6 AGM Battery but, budget, so got the Bosch S5 Premium Power Battery

Link to Product

Interestingly enough, it comes with 3 years of nationwide Jumpstart Assistance. Reading the fine print it looks like they re-imburse you if you have to pay to get a start, so I think I'll stick with calling AAA if i'm ever stuck somewhere, but still a nice little touch.

It was a little bigger than the battery that was in the car, which was a stock one from VW, so the insulating sleeve didn't fit around it. However, the battery fit perfectly in the car, snug, but perfect.

And the cover hooked back on properly as well

And those who are paying attention will notice the engine bay is a lot cleaner than in my last pics. You can thank Sonax Engine Cleaner for that. Grabbed a bottle the other week to try it out, worked really nicely. There are a few spots where dirt is heavier and will need a little scrubbing, but this cleaned up a good 90% of it without any scrubbing.

Link to Product

I know this wasn't the most exciting update, my next one will be a little more fun as I got the downpipe in the car as well :D

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Finally some more Go Fast goodness. Picked up a Techtonics Tuning 3" Aluminized Downpipe w/ 200 Cell Cat.

Link to product

My car will rarely see salt on the road, so the Aluminized metal Techtonics uses on this downpipe will last plenty long, and it saves you a bit over their Stainless version (which those on deal with a lot of road salt may want).

A Short Summery

Initial Impressions: The product is solidly made, all the bends look very smooth. All welds are high quality, both on the different sections of the pipe and on the brackets.

Fitment: When installing, I chose just to disconnect the driveshaft and push it to the side instead of dropping it. This made installation very challenging however once it was in place, everything lined up perfectly with good clearances at all points.

Performance: All I can say is WOW, what a difference. Even with the older APR Stage 1 tune, the performance is absolutely night and day (Plan to go to APR Stage 2 software soon). Turbo lag is reduced, and the power comes on faster and stronger. This is especially noticeable in the mid range. You step on the gas and the power comes on much harder than it did before. Launching the car in launch control, you get a much more aggressive launch, and I'm starting to get some of that "push back into the seat" feeling as the car accelerates. I'm looking forward to the new Stage 2 software as I know it will pull even harder. Beyond the performance gains, there was a significant bump in sound. Firing the car up in the morning, the exhaust note is much more raspy with a decent bump in volume. When accelerating, you can really hear the boost coming on, and when you lift, you really hear that wonderful "fwoosh" as it dumps boost. I didn't except such a bump in sound from the downpipe, though I suppose looking at how much was going on in the stock one, I shouldn't be too surprised.

On to the pics.

Stock Downpipe

(the downpipe flange looks wet because I had sprayed penetrating oil on the nuts to help break them loose)

Wasn't too bad getting the stock downpipe out, a couple of the bolts are a little bit challenging to get, but luckily everything came off without much drama

When you compare the two side by side, you can see how much of a difference there is between the two downpipes. What the camera doesn't show is how much heavier the stock downpipe is compared to the Techtonics one. Unfortunately I didn't put them on a scale during install, but I'll throw the stock one on a scale and get the weight of the TT one to post up. It's significant.

And ready for the new downpipe

Unfortunately I was running a bit short on time, and forgot to take pics of it installed. It was a challenge sneaking the downpipe past the driveshaft, and would recommend dropping the driveshaft if your doing it yourself, would have made life much easier.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The new exhaust looks like a good upgrade compared to the stock exhaust. I had the same experience going with a better exhaust. The turbo can breathe better. I get you picked up 15-20 HP and Torque. Enjoy the new power.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Driving the other day, noticed a lack of power, and what sounded like a boost leak. Gave it a bit of gas while listening closely and on came the check engine light.

Scanned it, and came up with the following

000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation
P0299 - 000 - Control Range Not Reached - MIL ON

Put the car up on the rack and started going over everything. Boost hoses all looked good, but there was a bit of an oil film on the diverter valve. Pulled it out, and sure enough, had a tear in the diaphragm.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

So, time to upgrade to the GFB DV+ Diverter Valve. This eliminates the diaphram and other plastic parts and replaces them with metal components using a piston style valve, but still uses the factory solenoid for fast reaction.
Link to product

Assembly is simple, basically pull the old components off the solenoid, and replace with the GFB parts.
Once assembled, you get this

And everything bolted back up in the car

Power is back, engine response is smooth (I would say the boost control is smoother and more accurate than it was before). Simple and effective fix/upgrade. :thumbup:
After reading up on these (and seeing the GFB guys on Mighty Car Mods :D) I decided to pull the trigger on one and try it out. I'm glad I did. My Rev D DV (OEM piston style) wasn't causing a boost leak in the sense that the turbo could hit its boost target, but evidently they are designed to always "leak by" a certain amount of boost, causing the turbo to work harder to hit those boost targets. In my case, this was causing some annoying part-throttle noises due to boost being recirculated into the intake and some occasional part-throttle driveability issues. After installing, those noises are mostly gone/greatly reduced. I've also noticed a little bit better gas mileage so far as well, and the overall responsiveness of the engine is a lot better. I haven't had any issues with the surge/flutter noises or any soft codes related to boost control either. I would definitely recommend it :thumbup:

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
The new exhaust looks like a good upgrade compared to the stock exhaust. I had the same experience going with a better exhaust. The turbo can breathe better. I get you picked up 15-20 HP and Torque. Enjoy the new power.
Loving the extra power. The extra sound is great too, though it's probably not great for my fuel mileage. Like to roll into the throttle then lift to hear the boost dumping, lol. Childish I know but hey, it's the little things. When I'm not doing things like that, I think it's gained me some mpg as well. Can't wait to get the car flashed to APR Stage 2.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
After reading up on these (and seeing the GFB guys on Mighty Car Mods :D) I decided to pull the trigger on one and try it out. I'm glad I did. My Rev D DV (OEM piston style) wasn't causing a boost leak in the sense that the turbo could hit its boost target, but evidently they are designed to always "leak by" a certain amount of boost, causing the turbo to work harder to hit those boost targets. In my case, this was causing some annoying part-throttle noises due to boost being recirculated into the intake and some occasional part-throttle driveability issues. After installing, those noises are mostly gone/greatly reduced. I've also noticed a little bit better gas mileage so far as well, and the overall responsiveness of the engine is a lot better. I haven't had any issues with the surge/flutter noises or any soft codes related to boost control either. I would definitely recommend it :thumbup:
Yeah, it's pretty surprising what a difference this can make :beer: :thumbup:

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.