VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Great build, definitely the same route I will end up going with mine. You have any clips of the downpipe? Do the DSG shifts pop at all?

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Great build, definitely the same route I will end up going with mine. You have any clips of the downpipe? Do the DSG shifts pop at all?
I don't have anything with a clsoeup audio of the downpipe, I'll try taking some and posting up. It sounds a bit raspier, but what I really love is how much more sound you hear off the turbo (as far as the boost release, spool up, etc).

I have a number of minor updates to post with the car, have been slacking. Will try to get things updated shortly :thumbup:

·
Registered
849 Posts
I look forward to hearing it. Would you say you get some pops/burbles when decelerating?

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I look forward to hearing it. Would you say you get some pops/burbles when decelerating?
Sorry, forgot to address the DSG shift pop. I wouldn't say it added much to that, maybe some, but the car still doesnt' get that sound nearly as much as say, a MK6 GTI (fresh in my mind as I was just driving my friends stock MK6, and that get's far more of an exhaust burp on shifts than mine does even with the downpipe).

I'm trying to think about noises when decelerating, and you certainly get more sound when you lift off the throttle, but I'm not so sure it has much more in the way of noices on deceleration.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Sweet build, glad to see I'm not the only doing auto-x in an a3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, it's a solid car out there :thumbup:. Also has seen a couple track days (I'll get the video from the track time at Fastivus posted up). Pretty much toasted my right front on the last track day though, I'll post up a pic of that too, lol. overworked the tires a bit trying to change a Mcclaren and Ferrari :p

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
So I know i've been severely slacking on updates here. This one is from 5000 miles ago just to show how far behind I am.

Did an oil change on the car for it's 105k, however made a couple changes from my normal routine. I switched from Liqui Moly's Synthoil Preimum to their Top Tec 4200. I also added Liqui Moly's Cera Tec Oil Additive, and of course a Mann oil filter to finish off the job

Previous Oil/Filter that I used: Link to product
New Oil/Filter: Link to product
Cera Tec: Link to product

So, I've never been a big fan of oil additives and typically avoid them, sticking strictly to quality oil on it's own. However, I saw Liqui Moly made this Cera tec additive, and they don't make products just for fun, so I started doing some research into it. After a good bit of research, and talking to our Rep about the product, I decided to give it a go. This stuff coats the inside of the motor with a micro-ceramic coating. This reduces friction, improving performance, fuel mileage, and reducing wear on the motor. One application is effective for about 30k miles. Granted, I did change the type of oil at the same time as adding this additive, but I have seen some improvement in fuel mileage in my day to day commute. It was interesting pouring it in though, as it's an unusual orange/white swirl coloration.

Now you may wonder why I changed from the Synthoil Premium to TopTec 4200. This was a simple one. Both are quality oils with the proper certs for this motor, however, the TopTec was specially designed for direct injection motors. Specifically, it is designed to reduce the oil deposits/carbon buildup on the intake valves.

I know not the most exciting addition, but there will be more small updates to come.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I wonder how well it works with consistent use. Had a carbon cleaning recently? Maybe take pics every 10k miles or so if you have
Are you talking about the Liqui Moly TopTec 4200? It would be interesting to see regular effects, though I'm not sure I want to pull the manifold that often, lol. That being said, as far as I know carbon cleaning has never been done on this motor, so would have to do that first before doing anything like that.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Are you talking about the Liqui Moly TopTec 4200? It would be interesting to see regular effects, though I'm not sure I want to pull the manifold that often, lol. That being said, as far as I know carbon cleaning has never been done on this motor, so would have to do that first before doing anything like that.
That and the additive. I don't blame you for not wanting to pull it off that often lol

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
That and the additive. I don't blame you for not wanting to pull it off that often lol
I don't think the additive would make much of a difference with the valve buildup, but it would be nice to be able to document how the oil effects the carbon buildup on the valves. :thumbup:

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Sorry about the horrible lack of updates on here. I have a lot of things that I need to post, BUT, something fun from a recent auto-x.

Had a rainy day, took top in the PAX. If I hadn't blown my last run, I was on track to take top overall, still got second overall :D.
We have some serious competition in our local Auto-x chapter, including a number of national winners, so felt pretty good about it.

[video=youtube;PzlxcafSiaM?rel=0]https://www.youtube.com/embed/PzlxcafSiaM?rel=0[/video]

[video=youtube;8tPfXHDLd0s?rel=0]https://www.youtube.com/embed/8tPfXHDLd0s?rel=0[/video]

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Finally got APR's DSG software loaded on the car!

Link to full product details

Having driven a fair number of with APR's DSG software, I always knew it was good and something I needed, however, there's a big different when you actually load it up on the car you drive every day. Talk about a night and day difference, it's like a different car!

First off, I drive almost exclusively in manual mode. The lag between the paddles and the shifts is dramatically reduced (I didn't realize just how much I had adapted to the lag it had until I spent some time driving this, accidentally shifting slightly sooner than I intended until I got used to it) The shifts themselves are much more direct, and significantly faster (I knew shift times were improved, but it's enough of a change that you immediately notice the speed difference). I did leave the auto-up shift and auto-downshift (kickdown) activated. I never found the kickdown to be an issue, and rarely have found the auto-upshift to be a problem stock, so i just left them.

Second, launch control. Before this give a hard, aggressive launch. Now the launch could almost be described as violent. And I say that in an absolutely good way. It now has 3 selectable RPM's to launch from instead of just a single. I set the highest at 4500, and man does it launch hard at this rpm. The clutches grab so much more aggressively that the car just pops you back in the seat and takes off. I haven't tested the medium or low rpm launches yet, but I am thinking they will be useful in slippery conditions. Or if I don't want to do quite as aggressive a launch.

I drove it a little this morning in "Drive" this morning, and while I rarely use this mode, I can say it is significantly improved. The car stays in the power band, holds gears longer and shifts down more aggressively, but not nearly as aggressively as it did in Sport. You can tell it's tuned more to optimize the driving experience than to eek every last percentage of fuel mileage out of the car. Shifts are more "direct" than they were stock, but not harsh.

I'll have to try Sport mode out some to give feedback there, and when I get a chance I'll try to get some video to show just how hard it's launching and how quickly it is shifting now.

Very, VERY happy with this mod and would highly recommend it.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Nice update. I wish I could drive an APR DSG tuned car. I have GIAC but not too happy with it. After your update I might switch
I don't like to say anything negative about other tuners, but I can say I'm still VERY happy with the APR DSG tune. I played around with it in Sport for a bit as well. I'm not sure how much the shift points have changed as, to be honest, I barely drove it in sport before. But the increased shift speed is noticeable there as well, and it performs as I would expect a sport mode to perform. Much more aggressive in downshifting, and holds gears much longer than drive. So I'm continuing to be extremely happy with the software

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dont mind me, just following along. You picked yours up a month before i got mine. 2009, ibis white, titanium package, etc. How much would you say you've put into it so far? I've done very little to mine.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Dont mind me, just following along. You picked yours up a month before i got mine. 2009, ibis white, titanium package, etc. How much would you say you've put into it so far? I've done very little to mine.
Sounds like a nice combo, hope your's had the lighting/convenience package :sly:, only thing I really wish mine had.

To be honest I haven't really kept track of the total in. It would be more if I could afford it though! lol. I've also missed updating here with new tires (lil wider, 235, required some clearancing), and some other little things. About to do the 115k service which is a larger one (DSG fluid/Haldex fluid, and also changing the bevel box/rear diff fluid). So yeah.. not sure on total in..

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So, 115k Service done, I'll update this with a little more information once I've uploaded some more pics (I really should have taken a pic of all the products I brought in for it). But, a couple of interest.

I switched to Motul Multi DCTF for the S-Tronic. I'll go into more details in my next post but summery is, really liking it
I also changed the fluid in the rear diff and the bevel box (fluid pictured to the left). Both of these Audi say are lifetime fluids but, I'm not really a believer in lifetime fluids, so changing them. I didn't even think of switching to Motul in these until the day before I was going to do it, and decided to go with the fluid I had instead of waiting to bring in the Motul

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I've been severely lacking on updating this thread, haven't done anything major, just been enjoying the car. I did throw on a 034Motorsport Rear swaybar, and put together a little video on it :)

Link to product

·
Registered
815 Posts
Nice work on the video.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.