VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
I have no idea if this will help but I've always wanted a roll on/ roll off train between major points. Pre-Covid I would go on a backpacking trip with my Grandpa in the eastern Sierras every summer. I've done this drive dozens of times from Portland because it doesn't make sense to fly (the nearest airport is still hours away and I'd still need to rent a car) but thought that if I could drive onto a train in Portland and then ride it down to Sacramento or Reno that would make that first boring part of the trip much more enjoyable. Then I would have my car and my gear with me for the final leg down to the trailhead. Less driving fatigue and maybe be able to watch the scenery a bit more as it passes by.

I've also thought this would be nicer when driving through the plains or through places where there aren't many stops and you're just trying to knock out the miles. Have the train stops in major cities along the route so you're not stopping every 50 miles or so but maybe every ~300 miles or more. Maybe have a run where you load up in LA and drive off in San Francisco.

It's a dream and likely would be more expensive then just driving so I bet a lot of people wouldn't use it. Still, I would use it if it were available and that's all that really counts. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I like less people, less noise, less traffic, more trees, more nature, more stars, and I'd be willing to give up some urban conveniences for it. Fortunately, not everywhere that ticks off 'less dense' fits your hyperbole laced beliefs.
Im just speaking from experience (Sea Ranch , CA) . No need to be defensive.
For one, if you live that far off, or inaccessible from a trauma center, you have to have airlift coverage on health insurance. That’s an added expense.
Then there’s shipping delays, which is not fun if you’re on meds or rely on the post office to be timely.
And cell phone service is trash a lot of the time.

There’s a benefit for certain places and at the same time you don’t this in the city:

( This was taken in the aforementioned place. Technically Irish Beach but same general area.)

So there’s a time and place for everything, but again living rural is somewhat of a premium vs a city. You can’t discount that

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There are different strokes for folks. Our friends with the multi-thousand-acre spread just west of the Texas Hill Country couldn't be happier with raising their sheep and chickens and llamas and cows and shooting boars and coyotes off their back porch at dusk, but visiting them out there in the middle of nowhere (asides from the great views of the Milky Way) drives me to serious drink (not that it takes much, but still). But if their luxuriant lifestyle wasn't available and they had to live in the nearest little podunk town, where the street lights dim when you plug in your Kuerig, they would have to look to a more prosperous area to make their living... Someplace with amenities and better broadband and access to shopping and healthcare and all the other necessities of life. Nothing wrong with the boonies if that's your thing... Green Acres and all that... But I believe most aspirational folks would end up sticking a pen in their eye after a few weeks.

In keeping with the original post, and replying to that, trains and buses and light rail and subways are great in crowded cities, not much use outside beltways. Vehicles going forward will reflect WFH realities, meaning you won't need to carpool as much, or commute as much, or even use public transportation as much... What that means for Ubers and personal vehicles and transportation requirements away from urban centers is what the thread is all about, and fortunes will be made and lost if and when infrastructure choices are made based on the past, instead of the present and future needs...

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
It takes me 35 minutes to get to work. I live 10 miles north of where most of Atlanta's sports, music, and wealthy live. There are two major medical facilities within 15 miles, and I do most of my shopping while I'm near work.

The comps around me are in the single-digit millions. People move out where I did to get away from the hassle that is Atlanta and it's associated burdens. Not to mention, I'm stuck between those two lakes we've been talking about.
Ahhh I forgot. But I would not call you Rural.

Look up Gouverneur NY. That's where I sort of grew up (10 years). Population 4,XXX, 2 hours from a major metro area.

That's rural.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I like less people, less noise, less traffic, more trees, more nature, more stars, and I'd be willing to give up some urban conveniences for it.
x2.

Surf captured my thoughts best. I like my 27 mile commute to work through winding, enthusiast-friendly roads, and having no neighbors. The best is the lack of light and sound pollution. It is magical once experienced in all of it's dial-up glory.
This is what I am aiming for with the property I am looking at. Outside of Asheville, twisty roads, quiet street, less noise, more freedom to enjoy yourself. 5 acres should fit my house, a shop to wrench on cars, fire pit, dry sauna(its a Slavic thing) and room to entertain people.

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
36,286 Posts
This is what I am aiming for with the property I am looking at.
This. Everyone has different needs and different interpretations of what "rural" is.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
As for Chicago, well....the winters are brutal, but the summers are absolutely glorious....
My issue is the winter isn't usable there. You can't really snowmobile. Skiing is sort of out the question. And in the summer.... it's flat AF so no real twisty/awesome roads. The city is cool... but everything around it is just suburbs on top of suburbs with no real flavor. Definitely get the boat access tho! That would be great.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
but I do think rural America has been sitting on their @$$ complaining for FAR too long. Start thinking about what it will take to attract people back to rural towns aside from some whitewashed romantic rose-tinted vision from the 1940s about it being "a great place to live".
Holup. Rural America has largely been completely ****ed by both sides of the political spectrum for decades; they've been hung out to dry while the 1% shipped so much of our manufacturing infrastructure/workforce overseas, and then corporate america started getting involved into giant farming conglomerates, absorbing small family farms in the name of efficiency and brutal price reduction. And on top of THAT, there is automation with the farm equipment now, and 1 person can control multiple combines.

So areas that used have decent jobs (manufacturing, farming) have been double ****ed; manufacturing is pretty much gone, and farming is greatly reduced in terms of total numbers of jobs available. It sucks, and I don't have any answers, but that's why driving through a lot of flyover states are so depressing in the small towns, mostly boarded up store fronts in the downtown built prior to the 1950s, and a lot of old, worn out cars, poverty, and meth/oxy addictions. It's sad.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
My issue is the winter isn't usable there. You can't really snowmobile. Skiing is sort of out the question. And in the summer.... it's flat AF so no real twisty/awesome roads. The city is cool... but everything around it is just suburbs on top of suburbs with no real flavor. Definitely get the boat access tho! That would be great.
If you look at it from the lens of outdoor stuff, yes, I can see that. You really need to get out of the area - which is why you see so many Illinois plates up near you. ;)

But there's other charms too - we have a few suburbs that are genuinely wonderful little hamlets with thriving downtown areas, great food, schools, and then you have the pull of Chicago itself and the lakefront during the summer.

Winter is one long 4 month annoyance for me, but that's just me.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Holup. Rural America has largely been completely ****ed by both sides of the political spectrum for decades; they've been hung out to dry while the 1% shipped so much of our manufacturing infrastructure/workforce overseas, and then corporate america started getting involved into giant farming conglomerates, absorbing small family farms in the name of efficiency and brutal price reduction. And on top of THAT, there is automation with the farm equipment now, and 1 person can control multiple combines.

So areas that used have decent jobs (manufacturing, farming) have been double ****ed; manufacturing is pretty much gone, and farming is greatly reduced in terms of total numbers of jobs available. It sucks, and I don't have any answers, but that's why driving through a lot of flyover states are so depressing in the small towns, mostly boarded up store fronts in the downtown built prior to the 1950s, and a lot of old, worn out cars, poverty, and meth/oxy addictions. It's sad.
Here's where I switch from blueish-purple to blood red: If you are in that situation, it's your own damn fault. You are responsible for your career, lot in life, and trajectory, and ONLY YOU. If jobs in your field are drying up, it's time to pick up and find a new field. And you have an obligation to do that if you have a family you are supporting.

It's also one reason why I don't really have a lot of sympathy for small town America. If you look at the town I grew up in, the locals fought McDonalds when it wanted to come in and build a store in the town. Had they been successful, there'd be even more boarded up stores than they have now (I just passed through using Google Street View). Instead, now it's just your average passed-me-by, blink-and-you'll-miss-it small town with crap schools, an average house price of under six figures, and a family income in the $3X,XXX range. Some people reach out and ask me why I don't move back to Gouverneur, and they all say the same thing: "It's such a nice place to live!" And I always respond: "Is it really? Can you quantify that somehow?"

No. You can't.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
You can just say you don't like liberals. We understand the point you're trying to make. (y)

Tell me which county you live in, and I'll type up some dumb hyperbole in return.

Or IDK, we can try and stick to talking cars.
You sound paranoid, nothing partisan was mentioned in my post.

There is a reason why many Businesses are leaving California and it isnt because they watch Fox News.

There is a reason why voters of many affiliations are trying to recall the governor Newsom

Many business owners are tired of the draconian covid rules while people go bankrupt

There is a reason why Attorney General Gascon is being sued by his own workers for not wanting to convict valid cases of violent criminals

Nutty ideas like this turn off all Californians
Councilman's proposal calls for homeless sites at Los Angeles beaches

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,843 Posts

There is a reason why many Businesses are leaving California and it isnt because they watch Fox News.

There is a reason why voters of many affiliations are trying to recall the governor Newsom

Many business owners are tired of the draconian covid rules while people go bankrupt

There is a reason why Attorney General Gascon is being sued by his own workers for not wanting to convict valid cases of violent criminals

"Disease ridden streets of San Francisco" is a typical conservative view point held by those who haven't been here, so I'll have to apologize for assuming the shoe fits since you're wearing it quite well.

Care to share where you live so I can google up things that suck in your area, so you can chuckle at how wrong the viewpoints are?

If you need this liberal for anything else, feel free to hit me up. I'm miserable in my disease ridden **** hole and I need to vent my anger, because we all know us liberal are so angry. I mean this crap I pictured below is just all that's wrong with California.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts

I cannot say what I want to say to you, so I will instead say this:

We're still in a pandemic and people are still dying. One of which nearly was a fellow Car Lounger and friend of mine, and also my dad nearly died from it.

We really are in a choice between dying and going bankrupt, and I wish "conservatives" such as yourself got slapped around a little and started taking this situation as seriously as it should be. As painful as the situation is, the longer we ignore it, the longer it will drag out for.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
We've had 5 people die at my work. Last one was 48. But this guy, who undoubtedly never left his hometown or received an education, is obviously smarter than microbiologists. Obviously smarter.

I hope covid mutates into something far more aggressive and deadly so it just thins out the herd with people who deny science, facts, and data. Ironically these same mother****ers are the ones that tout 'facts over feelings', unless, of course, the facts don't line up with the agenda they're regurgitating from their AM talk radio.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I cannot say what I want to say to you, so I will instead say this:

We're still in a pandemic and people are still dying. One of which nearly was a fellow Car Lounger and friend of mine, and also my dad nearly died from it.

We really are in a choice between dying and going bankrupt, and I wish "conservatives" such as yourself got slapped around a little and started taking this situation as seriously as it should be. As painful as the situation is, the longer we ignore it, the longer it will drag out for.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
That's a lot of people :(
Yeah. It's not a joke, and it's not a hoax. My dad ended up in the ICU with COVID for 4 days during the holidays. It's been 4 months and he's still not quite 100% when I talk to him - coughing, out of breath, etc. And both he and my step mom are pretty dang careful, all in all. But they happen to live out in a rural area that also happens to overlay red on the political spectrum, with all the bull**** that comes with that.

But hey, at least we know where ImpeccableNEW stands and we can stop listening to him.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.