Not open for further replies.
141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,843 Posts

·
Registered
45,006 Posts
He's still cagey about where he lives. Wonder why?
You should try southern Indiana. It's a paradise! We have a gambling boat, the Ohio River (no, really. It doesn't smell that bad), we're in the only hilly region of Indiana so there are some nice roads, the cost of living is low, there aren't too many bigots, and the education system is... adequate. What more could you want? :unsure:

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,843 Posts
Bill Gates can't track him like the rest of us sheeple...
Tim Apple knows exactly where I am at. Looking forward to my vaccine so my 5g comes in better.
You should try southern Indiana. It's a paradise! We have a gambling boat, the Ohio River (no, really. It doesn't smell that bad), we're in the only hilly region of Indiana so there are some nice roads, the cost of living is low, there aren't too many bigots, and the education system is... adequate. What more could you want? :unsure:
And the best part is that you're there. But you had me at gambling boat.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Here's where I switch from blueish-purple to blood red: If you are in that situation, it's your own damn fault. You are responsible for your career, lot in life, and trajectory, and ONLY YOU. If jobs in your field are drying up, it's time to pick up and find a new field. And you have an obligation to do that if you have a family you are supporting.

It's also one reason why I don't really have a lot of sympathy for small town America. If you look at the town I grew up in, the locals fought McDonalds when it wanted to come in and build a store in the town. Had they been successful, there'd be even more boarded up stores than they have now (I just passed through using Google Street View). Instead, now it's just your average passed-me-by, blink-and-you'll-miss-it small town with crap schools, an average house price of under six figures, and a family income in the $3X,XXX range. Some people reach out and ask me why I don't move back to Gouverneur, and they all say the same thing: "It's such a nice place to live!" And I always respond: "Is it really? Can you quantify that somehow?"

No. You can't.
Is the prison outside of town the biggest employer?

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,606 Posts
We have a gambling boat, the Ohio River (no, really. It doesn't smell that bad)... there are some nice roads, the cost of living is low, there aren't too many bigots, and the education system is... adequate. What more could you want? :unsure:
Hold up, when did you move to Pittsburgh???

On topic: Pittsburgh used to have an EXTENSIVE electric (!!) streetcar network. Many railway ROWs still exist, but aren’t utilized, and you can reference historical plat maps and see where the streetcars used to run. And let’s not forget the dozens of inclines and thousands of city steps that used to criss-cross this Appalachian river town... before the nascent automobile industry, redlining, white flight, interstate-related eminent domain and wholesale demolition of entire neighborhoods sliced and diced this entire city into fragmented pieces, all in the name of ‘personal transportation’ and ‘convenience’ and ‘economic development’.

I’d like to see a return to a city that caters to its population, works with its strengths, and doesn’t just forfeit land (and economic opportunities and tax revenue) for the convenience of the suburban and exurban feeder fish who latch onto the Big Fish for regional relevance and cultural identity.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
San Francios is a
We've had 5 people die at my work. Last one was 48. But this guy, who undoubtedly never left his hometown or received an education, is obviously smarter than microbiologists. Obviously smarter.

I hope covid mutates into something far more aggressive and deadly so it just thins out the herd with people who deny science, facts, and data. Ironically these same mother****ers are the ones that tout 'facts over feelings', unless, of course, the facts don't line up with the agenda they're regurgitating from their AM talk radio.
muh science.

thank god you have science. how else would you deal with your cripplingly low self esteem?

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,120 Posts
Tim Apple knows exactly where I am at. Looking forward to my vaccine so my 5g comes in better.
I got my vaccine this past Sunday. Let me tell you, that new U2 album is not bad. And my phone is so much faster...

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,120 Posts
thank god you have science. how else would you deal with your cripplingly low self esteem?
For a non-scientific, fully religious folk, you conservatives certainly don't follow your religious teachings very much.

IBTL!

·
Registered
'12 Mustang GT | '86 RX-7 | '20 Ninja 400
9,935 Posts
Here's where I switch from blueish-purple to blood red: If you are in that situation, it's your own damn fault. You are responsible for your career, lot in life, and trajectory, and ONLY YOU. If jobs in your field are drying up, it's time to pick up and find a new field. And you have an obligation to do that if you have a family you are supporting.

It's also one reason why I don't really have a lot of sympathy for small town America. If you look at the town I grew up in, the locals fought McDonalds when it wanted to come in and build a store in the town. Had they been successful, there'd be even more boarded up stores than they have now (I just passed through using Google Street View). Instead, now it's just your average passed-me-by, blink-and-you'll-miss-it small town with crap schools, an average house price of under six figures, and a family income in the $3X,XXX range. Some people reach out and ask me why I don't move back to Gouverneur, and they all say the same thing: "It's such a nice place to live!" And I always respond: "Is it really? Can you quantify that somehow?"

No. You can't.
Agreed.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's not easy for everyone to just pick up and move to a likely more expensive area because their work is drying up, but come on. If you are an adult and living in the middle of no where with no nearby services and then complain that the big corps are not catering to you (hint, because there is no market in your area since there are no people), you need to grow up. Density is key in this world, for better or worse.

Many business owners are tired of the draconian covid rules while people go bankrupt

We really wouldn't still need these rules if it weren't for people like you. Anyone "going bankrupt" affected by COVID probably agree too.

I promise you there are other forums, even car forums, that will be more welcoming to your views. Just not this one.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Is the prison outside of town the biggest employer?
I believe so. It was just going in as we left town, so I can't say for sure. Most people there fell into a few camps:

1. State and/or services worker of some kind
2. Commuted to Canton/Potsdam north, or Watertown south (also See #1 above)
3. Armed forces (Fort Drum was just north of Watertown and there was 801 housing in-town
4. Health care worker
5. Teacher
6. Hourly worker or Welfare

We lived in the "nicer" northern part of town, and we had a few neighbors in camps 1, 2, 4, or 5. I won't go so far as to say half the population landed in #6, but considering the average family income there is still in the $30K range and home equity has grown at an appalling rate (the house we lived in was purchased for 5 digits in 1984, and it's still worth 5 digits today) it's not hard to make some conclusion there.

There is a regional drug store called Kinney Drugs that has their "HQ" on the north side of town. That's the closest thing to an office job you can find.

If you wanted to work "in the city" you had a 2 hour drive to Syracuse. In hindsight, I wish we would have stayed there and not moved to Gouverneur, but that's a conversation for another day. When we left I was given a choice - I could stay in NY, or I could move back to Chicago.

I chose Chicago and started packing literally seconds later. Aside from 2 trips back up there to drive through the area, I haven't had any desire to look back.

·
Registered
Ci, Xi
1,221 Posts
For a non-scientific, fully religious folk, you conservatives certainly don't follow your religious teachings very much.
I'm not convinced that he isn't a troll who tries to make conservatives look bad on purpose. At least impeccableNew offers some reasoning, regardless of whether or not I agree with it there's some basis to work off of.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.