VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a kid on the way plus 3 dogs (Shelties) for trips back and forth between NY and NC and I need a family hauler. Manual transmission is a must (I gotta be able to have some fun while I drive). Has to be able to fit a 3' long, 2' deep, 2' tall dog crate in back, and some luggage, I plan on getting a luggage rack and carrier regardless, would like something mildly sporty lookin.
My first consideration is of course VWs, Passat wagon, or possibly Toureg, even though it's 1. Auto only, and 2, probably a little above my price range...don't really care for the Jetta wagon..I saw a Mazda6 wagon which looked nice...Audis of course are in the running...what else would you consider?

Modified by Inkarnata at 2:48 PM 3-22-2010

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Cars of the category: Used MT SUVs/Wagons under $15k (winstonsmith84)

Quote, originally posted by winstonsmith84 »
v70 or v70R would fit the bill.

I did see a V50 which was in my price range somewhat locally...

· Registered
11,614 Posts
FV-QR

also keep in mind exactly what you plan on using it for and where you plan on going. My Volvo V70R had more power, was a bit more plush, and had awd, but it had less space and got considerably worse mpg than my Vue gets.

· I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
66,758 Posts
Re: (Inkarnata)

Quote, originally posted by Inkarnata »
Mazda5 is a minivan in my opinion....DQ'd with prejudice.
Subi's are definitely on my list...

Modified by Inkarnata at 2:05 PM 3-22-2010

The OBXT I posted gives you $2500 to play with.

It also appears to have a trailer hitch! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by patrikman at 1:07 PM 3-22-2010

· Registered
21,177 Posts
Re: (patrikman)

Quote, originally posted by patrikman »

The OBXT I posted gives you $2500 to play with.

It also appears to have a trailer hitch! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by patrikman at 1:07 PM 3-22-2010

I don't think you'll find an LGT manual wagon for that. OBXT manual is more common, so it will be easier to find and cheaper.
You can have some luck with LGTs if the seller doesn't know the car is rare. However, the going rate on a manual wagon is still over $15k unless there is a lot of miles or issues.

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: FV-QR (silvERia)

Quote, originally posted by silvERia »
also keep in mind exactly what you plan on using it for and where you plan on going. My Volvo V70R had more power, was a bit more plush, and had awd, but it had less space and got considerably worse mpg than my Vue gets.

How much worse are you talking comparatively?

· Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
19,759 Posts
Re: Cars of the category: Used MT SUVs/Wagons under $15k ([email protected])

Most wagons in this thread will not have the 4'x4' width or 3' height to fit the pet carrier, as per the requirements.
OP is likely going to end up with a full size SUV, minivan, or need a new pet carrier.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
If I could I would get this...
http://www.carmax.com/enUS/vie...=2005 subaru legacy wagon&zip=29841&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&Q=dcaf8b2c-7fea-43ea-a9fe-b5f7ca312d8f
With shipping fees you are only a few hundred over your 15k limit.
Good luck

2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
36,332 Posts
Re: Cars of the category: Used MT SUVs/Wagons under $15k (Surf Green)

Quote, originally posted by Surf Green »
Most wagons in this thread will not have the 4'x4' width or 3' height to fit the pet carrier, as per the requirements.
OP is likely going to end up with a full size SUV, minivan, or need a new pet carrier.

Good point. Is ANY wagon going to satisfy that requirement?

· Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Cars of the category: Used MT SUVs/Wagons under $15k ([email protected])

that might be a large assumption on the size, I just went an took a foot size 10.5 measurement, front view, 3' long, 2' deep, 2' tall. Though depending on the size of our newest addition, we may need a larger cage...
The terrorists

L. Jack R. Bailey
and our newest addition, Jameson

Modified by Inkarnata at 2:45 PM 3-22-2010

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.