VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cars from the last 20 years are sure to appreciate in value, rather than depreciate the way most cars do?
Let's keep this to fairly well known production cars, not one off weirdo cars.

·
Banned
4,318 Posts
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (hawc)

Quote, originally posted by hawc »
What cars from the last 20 years are sure to appreciate in value, rather than depreciate the way most cars do?

Lamborghini Muira
Enzo Ferrari
Ford GT40
and other rare collectable cars have proven its appreciating value.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (GTiandrewK)

It's a couple years older, but the 79 beetle cabrios are appreciating, also the ae86's are starting to raise in price from the initial d craze.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (toyotagardner)

One-offs are sure to appreciate, but all low-production cars are good bets for future appreciation.
Lamborghini Muira
Enzo Ferrari
Ford GT40

It amazes me how somebody can respond to a thread with only two posts in it and still not read the instructions in the initial post. The Miura and GT40 ceased production over thirty years ago, hence they are not from the last 20 years. The Ford GT may be, but it's a different car than the GT40 and will never appreciate to the degree that the original GT40's have.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (Taimar2)

e30 m3, up from 5-10k a few years ago to 10-15k, no doubt in another five or ten years, even modest examples will go for 20k

·
Banned
12,115 Posts
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (lightsandsirens)

The ZR1 and Z06 Vettes will appreciate. Some of the SVT stuff will likely apprecaite too. I hope the first and secon gen V6 Taurus SHOs will appreciate as well.
Shelby Mopar turbo cars are going to be collectors items one day.
CRXs will appreciate, S2000s, AE86s, Miatas.....hmm....lots of cars nowadays are potential classics.

·
Registered
527 Posts

the Corrado VR6, sure to be a classic http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
14,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (coolC)

Okay just to be crystal clear....
By appreciate I mean, they have to be worth MORE than their original price. So saying stuff like
Quote, originally posted by coolC »
Corrado VR6, sure to be a classic http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

is silly, because it's not a car that's worth more than it originaly sold for.
I'm not looking for cars that will depreciate slowly, or hold most of the orginal value.
I'm looking for cars that are APPRECIATING to MORE of the original value.
Not too hard to understand.

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
1990 Mazda RX7 GTUs only 100 made.....would give a testicle to have a pristine one

·
Registered
850 Posts

Impala SS (it's already appreciated)
Audi RS6 (border of one-off weirdo car)
The 240SX used car market seems to be a bit inflated these days.
Porsche GT2 & GT3 (are these one-off weirdo cars? Probably.)
Possibly Camaro SS
Toyota Supra TT (done deal)
Mazda RX7 TT (done deal)

·
Registered
8,261 Posts

Quote, originally posted by hawc »
Okay just to be crystal clear....
By appreciate I mean, they have to be worth MORE than their original price. So saying stuff like

is silly, because it's not a car that's worth more than it originaly sold for.
I'm not looking for cars that will depreciate slowly, or hold most of the orginal value.
I'm looking for cars that are APPRECIATING to MORE of the original value.
Not too hard to understand.

The problem with that is no common car will just appreciate, only one offs might.
Most cars that are worth more today then the day they were sold did drop in price. They will drop over the years then at some point they will be collectible and begin to rise in value. Just the way it works.
That said, I would hang on to E30 M3s. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (val98m3sc)

What about Deloreans? They've lingered around the 10-20k price range for 15 years...their time will come.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Re: Cars sure to appreciate. (matoo)

Quote, originally posted by matoo »

The problem with that is no common car will just appreciate, only one offs might.

Right. The only cars that I think meet this critera are super-exotics like the McLaren F1, F40, F50, maybe Carrera GT. Even regular exotics depreciate. I think the super-exotics appreciation wouldn't be enough to cancel out inflation anyway, so even the super-exotics aren't a great "investment" in most cases.
-Andrew

·
Registered
527 Posts

hawc
That may be your your definition of appreciation, but the general meaning of to appreciate is an increase in the current market value

Modified by coolC at 6:11 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Re: (machine1970)

Quote, originally posted by machine1970 »
Buick GNX

Hell the normal Grand Nationals are STILL in the $16k range. Either one is the car to have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts