VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Quadrifoglio, 93 Corrado SLC
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys seen the offers that this companies are throwing out!? The numbers are crazy! I just did estimates for my 2016 Mustang GT with PP and I was shocked.

Carvana $31,939
Vroom $34,890

It only has 26k so I'm guessing that's a big factor for the numbers I got.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Have you not seen the threads on the used car markets?

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,179 Posts
I suspect that there's a definite premium for newer cars with low miles. In December when I was looking to get rid of my m3, the offers I got from the usual suspects ranged from $17k-$25k for a 2011 M3 with 49k miles. The car was clean inside and out, had no CELs, and didn't have any current or previous damage. I ended up trading the car in for more than any of the usual suspects were offering to get the 997. Perhaps if my m3 was a 2016+ with <40k miles I would have seen a relative value bump?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
CarMax was the best for our 08 Yukon and our 17 Alltrack. Just for S&G's, I put my new 18 Yukon XL in that I just bought and CarMax's offer was higher than what I just paid. It seems the deciding factor in any of the offers was if the vehicles had 2 or more sets of keys.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I agree that the offers seem crazy. Carvana offered me $29,400 for my base model 2016 VW Golf R. Car only has 31,000 miles on it. I paid $36,000 + tax and reg in December of 2015. Seems like a better than fair offer to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
715 Posts
Vroom offered me $37000 for my ZR2. They had another listed for $36999, same year, 10k less miles, in the color I originally wanted, Deepwoods green metallic.

So now I am waiting on them to deliver my car...

Edit: I paid $33k for the ZR2 last June and put 10k miles on it. So I essentially am just trading my car and <$1k for the same car, same year, with less miles, a nicer color (mine is silver and I wanted an actual color), and it comes with a bed cover. Oh and let me not forget, they actually gave me a really good rate compared to what dealerships try to pass off as a good rate. I know I can get it refinanced but its just more of a reason for me to do the swap.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Vroom offered a crazy amount for my Jetta and then never followed up with me after I submitted the paperwork. It was a month ago and it's all still pending. Weird.

Carvana offered me a good amount on both my Jetta and Santa Fe but when I filled out the paperwork they lowered both amounts. No changes made to the make/model/year/mileage of the vehicle, I just gave them what they wanted and they said "Great, thanks. We offer $1,500 less now." Quite odd.

I ended up trading the Jetta off at a local dealership and we are keeping the Santa Fe.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Carvana offered me a good amount on both my Jetta and Santa Fe but when I filled out the paperwork they lowered both amounts. No changes made to the make/model/year/mileage of the vehicle, I just gave them what they wanted and they said "Great, thanks. We offer $1,500 less now." Quite odd.
That's weird, considering their offers are supposed to be set in stone for 7 days more or less. Haven't heard of this happening with anyone.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
My husband is going to be selling his '15 A3 soon and got an offer from Vroom a few months ago that was within a few thousand for what he paid for it 3 years ago. We were both surprised. Carvana wouldn't recognize his VIN for him to get an offer though, which is weird. He talked to the guy we bought the Audi from and even he said that yeah, they would buy it and give a good value but that its hard to compete with Carvana and Vroom right now. The plan is to throw some of the stock parts back on it and get some local trade in values, Carmax, and Vroom and Carvana and go with the best offer. Used car prices really are crazy right now.

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,343 Posts
I did one a couple of weeks ago on the CTR with Carvana. $40829. I paid $37950 for the car last summer.

Reactions: Goingnowherefast

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
2 or 3 months ago Carvana was offering me $24k for our Golf R. I checked last week and it's up to $30k. Not bad for 5 years old with 24k miles, sticker was $38k.
Just at the point where I've conceded accepting not having a sunroof in a car I own to get something fun with 3 pedals again, MK7 Golf Rs have reversed depreciating from prices 18 months ago.

·
Registered
11,372 Posts
lol I paid $49k for the Jeep in October 2018 and $51.5k for the Porsche in December 2019. Too bad I love both these vehicles and don't really have anything else I'd rather buy on the list.

·
Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
41,040 Posts
A friend submitted his 11k mile Rav4 and Vroom was ~$4k higher than Carvana. He paid $39k out the door 2 years ago and Vroom is offering him $30k
Vroom was slightly higher than Carvana when I was selling my STI back in December but Vroom takes your car to their location (with the keys and title) for an inspection before they will tell you what their final offer is. I wasn't a fan of that.

Carvana was more up-front imo. The rep showed up at my house and the first thing he did was hand me the check. He then spent 10 minutes walking around, making sure it ran, asking a few questions and we signed the paperwork. It all took about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
2 or 3 months ago Carvana was offering me $24k for our Golf R. I checked last week and it's up to $30k. Not bad for 5 years old with 24k miles, sticker was $38k.
Just at the point where I've conceded accepting not having a sunroof in a car I own to get something fun with 3 pedals again, MK7 Golf Rs have reversed depreciating from prices 18 months ago.
Apparently people dont want Golf Rs in Arizona because carvana and zoom both offered me $23,000 just now.

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
FWIW, also try getting a quote from Shift.com (short or long term leases on used cars). They all vary, but they came in higher a couple of times. Then again, I have no experience selling to them.

Another one to try is Edmunds. Even though they work with Carmax, to where you can go and drop your car off there to complete the sale, their estimates are separate from those of Carmax. We sold our car to them earlier this year, and they provided a higher valuation than others (about $1K more on a lower priced vehicle).

1 - 20 of 170 Posts