VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my car has been in the shop now for a couple days gettin some work done and today they called about my cel. it has been on for a while and they told me it was because of a bad cat converter and valve??? they said the valve would cost around $300 and a new OEM cat would cost $900
.....anyway so i started looking at cat converters online and found some aftermarket magnaflows and such for around $300 (universal fit).
i really dont wanna be payin 900 for the cat alone....where have u guys ordered ur CC's? tia

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Re: cat converters (jetta PWR)

I'm in the same boat sort of...well Im looking for a cat so I can pass inspection and not have to worry about finding some one to pass me.
Is it worth 300 for a cat? I bought one for my MR2 off ebay for about 60 bucks (high flow) whenever I had bought/installed headers and its been holding out just fine.
But with my new car I want to make sure I am getting the best parts that I can :/

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: cat converters (bboy_jon)

Quote, originally posted by bboy_jon »
I'm in the same boat sort of...well Im looking for a cat so I can pass inspection.

yea i gotta pass inspection in a couple weeks too and really dont want to be paying $1200
.....where i know i can probably find a decent one for a lot cheaper

·
33,221 Posts

there is an extended recall for cats on SOME VW's....contact a local dealer with your VIN to see if your car is part of that recall http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: cat converters (.LSinLV.)

Quote, originally posted by .LSinLV. »
there is an extended recall for cats on SOME VW's....contact a local dealer with your VIN to see if your car is part of that recall http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

it doesn't work for my car....the recall is only for 1999-2001 and of course my car is an '02. i just have bad luck

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

Muffler shops are pretty cheap imho. I was thinking about just going in and asking if they could install a cat on my magnaflow cat back somewhere along the line (would it matter? if it was not on the downpipe?) and i figure it would only be around $150 tops. I have some cheap muffler places though :/
I bought a flowmaster for another car and had it installed for about that much

·
Registered
759 Posts

My mk2 gti needed one and i was in a pinch, got one from Summit racing. It was some kind of performance one, don't remember. It would at least get you threw whatever situation you are in. It was 80 bucks.
900 for CC is retarded unless its made of gold or something. haha

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Re: cat converters (leroy92)

Cats really dont affect performance all that much do they? What about sound? My CEL is on, and I just bought a 42 draft O2 sensor spacer to get rid of it and now I am possibly getting a cat. Would the cat itself remove the CEL? Or would it not since it would be after the O2 sensor...
I can place a cat after the down pipe right?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: cat converters (kkool1444)

Quote, originally posted by kkool1444 »
There is a law if the car has less then 100,000 miles on it they replace cat for free. Had it done on my 03 gti

if this is everywhere thats awesome, but it might just be a state law

·
33,221 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jetta PWR »

if this is everywhere thats awesome, but it might just be a state law

no, it's a federal emmission law, thus why I posted above...the Feds made VW extend the emmissions warranty not just related to the MAF issue. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

and of course the previous owner put an aftermarket CC on the car so now im gonna need to buy another one....there is no way im paying 900 for this....
anymore places besides local shops, which ill check btw, but like, does anyone have any experience with magnaflow CC

·
33,221 Posts

magnaflow is good, but the dynatech (sp?) high-flow units are very nice and can be found on e-bay for under $150....then the cost or removing the old one and installing the new one....can even be done with nice SS band clamps in your driveway with simple tools.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts

get in the classifieds, people sell stock downpipes(with cat) on the cheap.
that will probably get you where you need to be the fastest. some highflow cats with throw codes because of the increase in flow. then youre right back to square one unless you get an o2 sensor spacer

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: cat converters (aj11086)

check it out in vortex vw parts classified:
F.S OEM 1.8t Downpipe/Cat PA York
if his is sold, i have one for sale, too!

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Re: cat converters (bboy_jon)

Yes, exhaust affects performance. Usually more HP, but also less torque.
Quote, originally posted by bboy_jon »
(would it matter? if it was not on the downpipe?)

Yes! The cat needs to be HOT for it to work, that why it's so close to the engine, because it uses the heat of the exhaust to heat up, if you put it further back in your exhaust it wont get hot enough.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts

I thought the cat recall was just for early 2.0 models.
I had my cat replaced with a generic and haven't had a CEL since. The O2 sensors in the OEM cat are placed with one before the cat and one half way through the cat. My muffler guy mounted the second O2 sensor after the cat which seems like a great idea to me.
If your shop is talking about replacing the secondary air intake valve, you may just need a little piece of vacuum tube.
The cat with installation ran me $200. I drove around for a couple years with the bad cat and have seen 10-15% improvement in mileage since I replaced it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.