VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
The exhaust on my Fox wagon has been making lots of percussionary noise lately (it's NOT hitting the body), smells that smell, engine is running hotter than normal.
In short, past experience with a different brand car with similar symptoms tells me the cat is about to come apart and may clog my exhaust, so I am looking at replacing the cat instead of just punching it out shadetree style.
Anyone know of a source for a new cat? Since we have the old style "bolt in" cats I can replace it in my driveway instead of taking it to an exhau$t $hop.
EDIT: I ended up eating these words!

Modified by H2OnO2 at 4:03 PM 11-18-2006

·
Registered
823 Posts
Re: catalytic converter replacement (H2OnO2)

I have the TT exhaust (all the way from the ex. manni back) and I love it... I have a little more pep and it's just loud enough to piss off my obnoxious neighbors

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all
Thanks for the replys. I have since taken the cat out for inspection and I have determined it's not the problem.
Here the cat is ready to come out, WD-40 sprayed on the bolts. I am grateful sometimes for living in Southern California, nothing rusts out (except around Fox's windshield):

The all-important Audi exhaust doughnut.......someone has been here before, and in a good way!

I can't find anything wrong here. The cats not loose, not collapsed, not clogged............now I am back to square one......

I did end up fixing something........the hangar here was about to break anyway and I finished it off. The only parts place in town that had new ones was Pep Boys, a store I normally avoid like the dealership, but they had what I need. I had to use zip ties to hold the exhuast for the trip. I ended up using ROL exhaust rubber hangars p/n 511176, Hecho en Canada........thanks Canada!

Anyone know if the stock resonator can come apart and cause the rattling/brapping noise? It sounds just like a catalytic converter comming apart, but in this case that's not the case.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts

Quote, originally posted by H2OnO2 »
Anyone know if the stock resonator can come apart and cause the rattling/brapping noise? It sounds just like a catalytic converter comming apart, but in this case that's not the case.

Resonator? You mean that thing that I replaced with a straight pipe at the same time I replaced the cat that my car didn't need with a straight pipe? I love having an 87 in Canada.
Yes, it can make that noise though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EPILOGUE: Last time I bring this thead back up, I promise.
It was a bad muffler. Today I got it down to my FLMS and had an replacement muffler installed. I considered techtonics replacement exhaust, it looks like nice quality stuff, but I finally decided since I have no intentions of turning up the wick on this engine's power it would have been wasted eye candy.
Again, thanks everyone for your help. Stay Foxy!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts

The fact that you have this:

and this:

Instead of a 'middle muffler' - the stock resonator has looked just like a shorter version of a 'regular muffler' on all 3 of my 87, 88, and 89 wagons - makes me wonder if someone hasn't already gone through your exhaust.
Here's my old stocker vs. TT for comparison:

Have you measured your pipes down there? They don't look quite big enough to be TT, but the pix could be deceiving. That resonator you show in the last pic is a dead ringer for the TT unit I've been running forever...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.