VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sleeping peacefully for the past fine months while I was in Europe, disaster struck the very day I brought my 92 G60 out of storage.
Without any warning while accelerating on the freeway on-ramp, I started bouncing off the rev limiter. Knowing I didn't miss the shift, I immediately pulled off the road too see what happened.
Couldn't put the car in gear nor could I push the clutch in. Guy nice enough to stop bled the clutch which allowed proper movement, but the car still wouldn't go into gear.
Had it towed to the dealership. By visual inspection, they have determined it was a 'catastrophic failure' of the clutch, which in turn destroyed the flywheel, which in turn destroyed the starter.
They have quoted me $500 for labor and $900 for parts. Anyone care to chime in on whether this is a fair estimate?
I've never had any clutch problems -- no slippage, strange smells, etc. Why did it just fail like that?
Obviously this isn't a good time for this to happen!
Thanks,
-Chris
92 G60

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Re: Catastrophic Failure (Red 92 G60)

You could save a lot of money by using aftermarket and or used parts.
Upgrade to a lightened flywheel.
Factory G60 clutches so stick with one of those but the dealer prices stink.
Used starters cost a lot less than new starters at the dealer.
I would say $400 in parts if you sourced a used starter and ordered the parts from say adirondack. So you could save yourself $500.
Llew.

[Modified by G60Jetta2dr, 12:29 PM 11-23-2001]

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Re: Catastrophic Failure (Red 92 G60)

Sounds like the clutch slave cyliner went bad. It shouldn't have killed the flywheel though unless you burnt the clutch. But you got it towed so i doubt it's burnt. Parts are a high estimate, as is labor, but then its not called the "Stealership" for nothing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts