VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to install a universal catch can. Reason is I don’t want to fork out $400 for a Africa plate.
Doing a lot of research on web as well as countless YouTube videos .:: mostly for mk6found 2 ways to install a catch can. Any recommendations on which is better and why?

this way is how apr and bfi run their setups.
Yellow line 1- connects front of pcv and goes into catch can. Cap off intake manifold
Yellow line 2- connects catch can to intake pipe above turbo…. Cap off rear of pcv
Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive fuel system

the second way is remove the line between the pcv and intake manifold and put the catch can there like this.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive super charger part

any advice why these are ran differently and which is preferred or better ..: thanks in advance

·
Registered
192 Posts
The PCV itself is the problem and when they go, they can blow your rear main seal. Make sure your PCV is the updated revision before installing a catch can. The Africa plate is nice because it replaces the PCV.

For your catch can install it doesn't really matter. I'd go for option 2 since it's a much cleaner install.

Don't forget to check the can regularly, and if you are in temps below freezing it will freeze. Something to keep in mind. It will also not prevent carbon buildup on your valve ports or stems.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it doesn’t really matter which way then option 2 is super easy to install…. I don’t need to worry about the catch can freezing … I live in the tropics … summer all year round… 🏝

Just for argument sake… would Africa plate be that much better? I did find this no brand one… fairly cheap compared to other brand name Africa plates…what do you think… it would remove the pcv all together
Eyewear Automotive lighting Camera accessory Electronic device Audio equipment

Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Human leg Air gun

·
Registered
B5 A4 2.0 Stroker, 2016 VW Touareg
1,585 Posts
I’m going to install a universal catch can. Reason is I don’t want to fork out $400 for a Africa plate.
Doing a lot of research on web as well as countless YouTube videos .:: mostly for mk6found 2 ways to install a catch can. Any recommendations on which is better and why?

this way is how apr and bfi run their setups.
Yellow line 1- connects front of pcv and goes into catch can. Cap off intake manifold
Yellow line 2- connects catch can to intake pipe above turbo…. Cap off rear of pcv
View attachment 163312

the second way is remove the line between the pcv and intake manifold and put the catch can there like this.
View attachment 163313

any advice why these are ran differently and which is preferred or better ..: thanks in advance
You probably wont see much of a difference between the two. Option 2 will def decrease the chances of an oil smell when you are stopped. Option 2 will also probably suck in small amounts of oil unless your catch can uses a decent baffle. The oem+ way to do it would be option 2 and it looks cleaner like others have said

____
𝙱𝟻 𝙰𝟺 𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚛 𝙱𝚞𝚒𝚕𝚍 𝙸𝚗 𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚐𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚜
𝙶𝚎𝚛𝚖𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚞𝚝𝚘𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜.𝚌𝚘𝚖

·
Registered
192 Posts
I feel like the Africa plate could potentially save your rear main seal since the only thing that would fail is the gasket, which I think would be very unlikely. It's all the parts with plastic housings that give this car problems.

Not familiar with the one you posted tho. If you get it post an update!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.