VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a 2022, is a catch can necessary? If so, which is suggested? I am reading conflicted views. Some suggest it, others’ say the stock system is good enough anymore. Curious what you all think!? Thanks!!

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
673 Posts
I'm sorry (maybe again), but I find this an odd question, for a vehicle that makes "not so much boost".
I never even considered one for my 320 HP, twin turbo vehicle, that I had "set" for 14.5 PSI.
Care to elaborate on your sources for installing one?

Bob.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one on my Ford Explorer Sport. Was reading up, as mentioned, and I get mixed reviews on this engine variant. Older versions seemed like it made sense. Conflicted on the new generations…

·
Registered
124 Posts
Type "oil catch can" in the search function and it comes up with 400+ hits. I see a couple for the Tiguan or 2.0 engine on the first page. I've seen discussions about them on this forum within the last 6 months. I've got a 19SEL and am still not convinced they are needed. Sure haven't ruled it out though.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
673 Posts
Type "oil catch can" in the search function and it comes up with 400+ hits. I see a couple for the Tiguan or 2.0 engine on the first page. I've seen discussuions about them on this forum within the last 6 months.
OK, but short of reading 400+ hits, why?
I love my Tiguan, but it (stock) couldn't "beat" almost any vehicle.
Catch cans are usually found in high boost vehicles, no?

Bob.

·
Registered
124 Posts
OK, but short of reading 400+ hits, why?
I love my Tiguan, but it (stock) couldn't "beat" almost any vehicle.
Catch cans are usually found in high boost vehicles, no?

Bob.
Only a knuckle head would read 400+ hits. Point was the subject has been discussed. The info the OP needs may be there. The subject isn't high on my list of interests so I'll leave it to you two to fight it out.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Premium RLine
673 Posts
Not looking for a fight.
I am VERY new to VW.
Just not understanding the need for a weak engine.

Again, I love mine, but it is NOT the fastest/quickest vehicle out there...

Bob.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not looking for a fight, either. I mentioned I searched and did not find anything for the newest version of the engine, thus the question. I am sorry if I ruffled feathers. Back on topic…

If there is a need for one, or if it’s even suggested, what is the best (bang for the buck and ease of installation) option? I watched a YT clip of one that mounted off of the valve cover - need to go back and see who made it. Else that, would certainly be open to suggestions.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
FWIW these 2 posts list some options, along with some technical detail of why it may not be needed for MQB:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts