VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cause for ABS and Brake light to be on?

Came out of coffee shop, turned the car on, Airbag light check goes fine, ABS warning light stays on as well as the Brake light. No operational problems?
Cause? ABS Module about to go to the big VW broken parts in the sky?
I turned the car off and on and the same lights stayed on. Came home and parked it. Turned the car off, and started it again, lights gone. Hmmmm

Modified by jyoteen at 3:09 PM 5-13-2003

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Re: cause for ABS and Brake light to be on? (ballardblue)

First step, obviously, is to check your brake fluid level.
If it's low, it ought to cause both lights to come on. If it is low, you need to find out why, and fix it! It's not normal to lose brake fluid volume (Just a little as the pads wear, but that's just because more fluid is in the lines and less is in the reservior.)

·
Super Moderator
2013 Tacoma
15,818 Posts
Re: cause for ABS and Brake light to be on? (97gtivr6dailydriver)

Quote, originally posted by 97gtivr6dailydriver »
i was told it was my ignition, that it is worn and needs to be replaced. dont know how true that is though. try to use wipers and a/c controls, mine dont work when i have that prblem.

I've heard this too. How many keys are on your keyring?
When it happens to me I have always been able to turn the car off, remove the key and then start all over and have the lights stay off.
Matt

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Re: cause for ABS and Brake light to be on? (Matt)

Also check to make sure your ABS sensors are all plugged in nice and tight (one might be loose) or you might have driven through a puddle and caused an intermintent short.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: cause for ABS and Brake light to be on? (Firestarter)

I agree with the brake fluid thing as the first checklist... When I was 16 I didn't know about this little park light being brake fluid level thing... I hoped into my car one day and my foot went straight to the floor! Thank god I wasn't driving!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Re: cause for ABS and Brake light to be on? (jyoteen)

Same here. Turning the key slightly clockwise (without energizing the starter again) remedies my problem. Also when my brake light is on, my headlights won't turn on. Only happened three times in one year. So far I can live with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.