VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finished watching the san marino gran prix, had to tivo it because i was at work, right away i knew that it was not going to be as good because the race was on CBS.
BUT MAN!!!!!!!!

the commentators were the worst ones evAr

not only did it sound like they did not know what was going on, they were refering to the wrong drivers when talkin about them

they repeatedly said that the australian GP was last week, when clearly it was 3 weeks ago.

Speed has such better coverage and they all know what the hell they are talkin about when they open their mouths.

i think what pisses me off the most is that i have to watch the best GP on SHI**Y CBS.... monaco

any one else notice?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (BLKonBLKMKVGTI)

This is nothing new. I miss Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett, and Windsor. They're FAR more intelligent and actually say some funny stuff every once in a while.

erek Daly isn't terrible, because he actually knows something about the sport. The other guy is obnoxious sounding and actually makes me dumber. Derek Daly does say some stupid isht, though. Did anybody hear him say "hold on to your hoppyhock" or something like that? He tends to spout off some serious nonsense from time to time. Plus, the CBS production cuts the driver interview time at the end of the race BIG TIME. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
872 Posts

Agreed, CBS sucks at F1.
I've always wondered why CBS couldn't just get Steve Matchett and David Hobbs to do the commentary for them. Or strike some deal with Speed to pretty much have them do their F1 coverage for them, and save the money in their own sub-par production costs.
Personally pissed that they didn't air it live, ended up sitting in front of the computer from the live timing from BBC Sports and Formula1.com, because I couldn't wait till CBS aired it.

·
Registered
549 Posts

AMEN
[RANT]
Derek Daily = tool. Was this guy really an F1 driver? How is it that I can make more sense of what is going on.
Allow me to recap a section of their commentary:
Derek: "Alonso is gaining 1 second a lap" Bla Bla Bla
Ralph: "Looks like Alonso is gaining 1 second a lap" Bla Bla Bla
Mean while I'm ready to stab myself because one isn't listening to what the other is saying and they aren't actually reporting it correctly (Alonso was catching up 1.3 seconds a lap.) It pains me!
I wish we had the option to listen to the race without the commentators when CBS is running the race.
[/RANT]
I feel much better now, thanks.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (pipe)

They are replaying it on speed on Sunday w/ the usual speed commentators. I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes on the coverage on CBS before I had to turn it off. Was it in HD?

·
Registered
549 Posts

Quote »

i think what pisses me off the most is that i have to watch the best GP on SHI**Y CBS.... monaco

This can't be. I refuse to belive this. Something needs to be done... Please Lord; don't let it be true.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (not_too_shabby)

Quote, originally posted by not_too_shabby »
They are replaying it on speed on Sunday w/ the usual speed commentators. I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes on the coverage on CBS before I had to turn it off. Was it in HD?

The race is not in HD. There are no upside to CBS airing the race.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (pipe)

It is my understanding that Japan and the US are the only countries where HD broadcasts are widely shown. HD has not caught on as quickly in Europe, so none of the world feeds are in high definition.

·
Banned
469 Posts

In Canada, with TSN, we get the ITV commentators James Allen and Martin Brundle. When TSN goes to commerical I switch to Speed channel to watch their coverage.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (James_K)

I loved at the end they are saying how Schumy had it wrapped up and Alanso is running up his ass. Then Alanso messes up and goes off track. They say oh thats the end of that Michael is watching him disappear from the rearview. But the whole time Alanso make an amazing attack to come back and is really pushing it. But the Commentators are talking about how Michael had already won it and all this other crap. Piss on CBS they need to stick to golf

·
Registered
17,135 Posts
Re: (NoDubJustYet)

Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »
i wish bernie would have an HD feed...

They used to broadcast it in HD. At least in Europe. It was some sort of pay-per-view thingie. F1 people used to call it Bernievision. It was also interactive. It had multiple channels so that if you're bored, you can switch to in-car etc. You can even view real time timing and scoring, the same stuff the engineers in the pits look at.
But it was expensive and not enough fans signed on so it was canned.

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
Re:

Was it me or did Ralph Shaheen start losing his voice halfway through??? I guess he wasn't prepared for 2.5 hours or racing commentary compared to his usual 1 hour at a time WRC stuff

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (DoctorNo)

I agree, the American dude knows absolutely nothing about the sport. The only thing he had to add was irrelevant facts about this or that record, or his amazing ability to read Michael Schumacher's mind and know what makes him "tick", and several times he had to be interrupted in the middle of some pointless speech so that Derek could talk about something actually happening in the race.
I also got a big laugh when Schumacher pitted the second time, and as his car exited to pit row the announcer was obviously confused and for a second though Michael had gone off the track.

Modified by Acedia at 9:03 PM 4-23-2006

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (James_K)

Quote, originally posted by James_K »
In Canada, with TSN, we get the ITV commentators James Allen and Martin Brundle. When TSN goes to commerical I switch to Speed channel to watch their coverage.

I watch the TSN coverage on race weekends when Speed doesn't have rights to the race, such as this weekend. But I much prefer the Speed coverage. I'll be watching it whenever it's on. Friday I believe.
Personal preference for me is Speed. The CBS coverage is awful, so thanks TSN http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As far as HD, if I could watch F1 in HD, I would buy an HD receiver tomorrow

·
Registered
590 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (Acedia)

OK folks, you need to remember what chanel you just watched. Speed is viewed by a large population of enthusiasts like the car lounge.
CBS and it's announcers are dumbing down the broadcast for the general (NASCAR) population. Both Ralph & Derek know what they are talking about.

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
Re: CBS and F1 = SUCK (GPHAWAII)

Confusing the F1 drivers ? Sounds like Murray Walker to me.

·
Registered
44,112 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GPHAWAII »
CBS and it's announcers are dumbing down the broadcast for the general (NASCAR) population. Both Ralph & Derek know what they are talking about.
Don't hit your head when you fall off that high horse.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GPHAWAII »
OK folks, you need to remember what chanel you just watched. Speed is viewed by a large population of enthusiasts like the car lounge.

Weird. I got the same impression. It's like they were trying to explain what was going on to a golf-watcher who didn't expect to see cars ripping around the track instead of shots of a tiny white ball in the cloudy sky

1 - 20 of 58 Posts