VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,023 Posts
Depends, do you want to risk the potential of having to do your suspension twice? Upgraded shocks/dampers would be recommended as the OEM shocks were not engineered with the higher spring rate in mind. In the extreme circumstance you could potentially blow a shock prematurely and be back in there replacing it. (labor cost or your time twice) That said many are running "just springs" on stock shocks and they seem to be ok with it. *shrug

I have no input on spring comparison.
Ok, so you recommend a coilover instead?

· Registered
1,023 Posts
If you're thinking about doing a spring over shock set-up, then yeah you might as well consider spending a little more and get yourself a coil-over kit that offers you height adjustment so you can fine tune that ride height where you want it. But realize that a coil-over kit is designed for performance so there will be a sacrifice in comfort. If you're not willing to sacrifice the comfort but want to get rid of the gap then do the spring/shock set-up at a minimum or spend more for a damping adjustable coil-over suspension kit if you want the best of both worlds.
Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
1,023 Posts
CC Owners: Suspension/Wheels/Tires - with specs & pictures

Replace the stock R line rims with 18" but what are the measurements I can have or get away with?

Meaning a 18x8 or a 18x9? and I'll need a 5x112 correct or? what about the 35, 40, 50 etc..

Will these be an issue "18x8 5/112 ET32"

Sorry, this is all new and just need a little help. thanks

· Registered
1,023 Posts
CC Owners: Suspension/Wheels/Tires - with specs & pictures

I'll be using 18" rims and thinking about H&R (I've always used on all my DD) but now looking at eibach, thinking about getting those as well. which would be better for DD? I just don't have experience with Eibach, so let me know who has it installed. (ride quality)
Really depends on what you like? I have 18" on H&R, the rear is a bit lower then the front but I also prefer it this way. Since I put my new Michelin tires on the ride is beautiful and smooth.

Some have the Eibach's and love them, just have to choose one and take a chance.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts