VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have been having intermittent problems with my CEL. Nothing new for VW...

I kept getting this P1128 code. There was a small vacuum hose for the fuel regulator that was broken and was causing my problems... I probably had the same CEL code for 3 times in one month before I discovered the hose. Hose was fixed back in February!
So, today after over 3K miles no CEL I am driving on reserve, up on a very steep hill with 3-3.5K rpms the CEL came on again.
I immediately rushed to my VW mechanic - same code P1128.
My question is:
1. Was it the very low fuel level that coused it?
2. Will the CEL go away after 3 complete engine "cycles" -> 3 cold to full warm cycles
3. Is it normal to get this CEL if the gas tank on reserve

Everybody's input is welcome!

Modified by vasillalov at 1:15 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: CEL AGAIN! Code inside... Help needed! (vasillalov)

Quote, originally posted by vasillalov »

My question is:
1. Was it the very low fuel level that coused it?

No.
2. Will the CEL go away after 3 complete engine "cycles" -> 3 cold to full warm cycles

Only if the problem is not present anymore. As for the actual number of times before it will turn off, I'm not sure. Actually, I believe that no one knows. There are so many opinions floating around on here.
3. Is it normal to get this CEL if the gas tank on reserve

No.

P1128 is the classic MAF failure code on a MKIV. If you can get a hold of a VAG-COM, check Block 032, Field 2 in the engine control module. If the value is anywhere close to +25%, then the MAF is dead.
FYI, this is the code that started the whole VR6/2.0 MAF swap a little over a year ago.
Gary

·
Registered
33,981 Posts
Re: CEL AGAIN! Code inside... Help needed! (VgRt6)

My mAF is dead. EPC/ASR lights and MAF DTCs last nite. I know I have a 2.0L MAF somewhere, the last one lasted over a year, WOW!

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Re: CEL AGAIN! Code inside... Help needed! (ROCKnRLR)

Quote, originally posted by ROCKnRLR »
My mAF is dead. EPC/ASR lights and MAF DTCs last nite. I know I have a 2.0L MAF somewhere, the last one lasted over a year, WOW!

Hey Jose- Only a year for the 2.0 sensor? I was hoping they'd last longer than the original VR6 MAFs.
FYI, the 2.0 sensor I swapped in last March is still going strong. I checked the long term fuel trim last week and it's still in the 3-4% range. I wouldn't be surprised if it decided to crap out suddenly though.

Gary

·
Registered
33,981 Posts

I swapped it on April 2003 so, yeah, a bit over a year. Humm, over 25K miles. I use a CAI, you don't.

The VR6 MAF I got when I got the VWoA later lasted me, one week!

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

I swapped it on April 2003 so, yeah, a bit over a year. Humm, over 25K miles. I use a CAI, you don't.

That would explain it.

The VR6 MAF I got when I got the VWoA later lasted me, one week!

That's got to be a record!
Gary

·
Registered
33,981 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
That's got to be a record!Gary

No! One time I picked up my car from the dealer, got a new MAF under warranty. Right after , I put my CAI back in, and drove to the nearest track (100 miles away). As I pulled out of the Florida Turnpike, I got CEL, ASR and EPC come on. On Monday I brought back my car to the dealership for a new MAF. That's when I ditched the PiperX Viper CAI, that thing killed MAFs.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts

interesting info http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I plan on clening the MAF soon! Will that help any?
Also, my car has 55K miles and th MAF should fall under emisions warranty, correct?

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

I plan on clening the MAF soon! Will that help any?
Also, my car has 55K miles and th MAF should fall under emisions warranty, correct?

Don't even bother trying to clean it. Just go get a new one under the extended warranty (up to 70k miles). Murphy's laws says that once you clean it, it will work fine again until 70001 miles and then die for good!
Gary

·
Registered
16,128 Posts

I know the MAF gods are pissed of at most of us, but they must really HATE you!

Gary

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
I know the MAF gods are pissed of at most of us, but they must really HATE you!

Gary

No sh!t... Here is sth interesting to ponder on. As I previously mentioned there was this vacuum hose that goes into the fuel pressure regulator. I told my VW Mechanic (the local shop I go to) about it and he said that it is deffinitely a vaccum problem. He tested the MAF sensor with a special tool. The MAF sensor is fine. He told me to change all the braided vacuum hoses. He said that these hoses are good for only 2-3 years or so and they tend to brittle on the inside creating small and intermittent vacuum leaks. He is seeing the same problem on the AUDI's he is working on...
I know you might not agree with his opinion, but last time my CEL went on was back in February and after that I replaced on of the vacuum hoses. Before I changed this small hose, I was getting the P1128 code almost twice a month.
So I am changing all the braided vacuum hoses this weekend hoping that this will keep this P1128 code off of me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts