VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CEL came on the other day...so I decided to replace the air filter (which was dirty) and I cleaned the MAF with some electronics cleaner. Boom, the light went off and everything seemed to be running perfect. Today the light comes back on, and I'm not sure what to do. I did put a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner in the gas tank before all of this happened- would that have anything to do with this? Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
-Matt

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: CEL came on (A3Jetta)

I had the same prob. The CEL came on so I brought the car to the stealership. The scan came back with a MAF code so they change the sensor and it cleared. Not even a day later the light came on again. The second scan revealed a throttle body sensor code. Appearently, there was a sensor missing from the breather hose that connects to the intake just IFO the throttle body, which was causing oil to seep up the breather and get sucked back into the TB and clot the sensor. The tech hooked up the new sensor and it took a while, but the code and CEL finally cleared about 3 weeks after. If your xar is a 96 or early 97 check to see if there is a sensor at the end of that hose. If you need a pic let me know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts